General Gaming News and Discussion

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Well looks like Concord has at least one thing going for it. Early estimates put copies sold at around 25k. Sony bought the studio for 150 mil + 8 years of dev time. Seems it will hold the record of largest game flop in history for some time to come.

Got a few videos recommended to me about "this". One that I liked was a critique of the models. The very first thing the designer noted was rookie errors in presentation and composition of the advertising. Then massive character design "meh".

Conclusion: "This looks like an indie project with a team of 3 self-taught artists, not a triple-A shooter"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob

concord aborted after being live for 2 weeks, full refunds being issued

• 18Worf
  • 4Double Worf
  • 4Like
Reactions: 26 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Damn what a fucking failure. Good on Sony for offering refunds. Although it’s not much considering the sales in the grand scheme of things.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Maybe this is finally the turning point and we stop getting these fucking committee-built live service slop launches?

The list of stillbirths in this 'genre' is staggering. Suicide Suqad, that shitty Marvel 'MMO', Redfall, Immortals, fuckin Hyenas didn't even launch cause it was so grim looking.

How long can they keep incinerating 200m$ budgets on these things chasing that golden ticket of selling infinite battlepasses or whatever.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Maybe this is finally the turning point and we stop getting these fucking committee-built live service slop launches
Where are you going to find devs who want to create non woke games with a conventional atheistically pleasing world?

All the guys capable of that are already employed.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I havent got a chance to play this yet, but does this game suffer from the same MOBA type design flaw? Your team is behind so you know you will 95% lose, the team you are fighting also knows you will lose as well, but you have no option other than play another hour of this game till its end? Wasting both teams time?
Hard to say, since it looks like Mist Mist is the only one here that actually bought the game. I dont think any of the characters are cool looking which is a big reason I wont play. But its not like I was the target audience to begin with.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Hard to say, since it looks like Mist Mist is the only one here that actually bought the game. I dont think any of the characters are cool looking which is a big reason I wont play. But its not like I was the target audience to begin with.
I played the Concord beta. The gunplay was good, felt like Destiny 2 honestly, not like a MOBA and better than most hero 'shooters' (half of which aren't really shooters but that's a whole other discussion.) TTK felt right. Level design was okay, though visually uninteresting. Character designs are fucking bad, and this is a crowded genre. Having a box price was fucking stupid.

Game could be retooled to have customizable characters with purchasable clothing, and no box price, but probably not worth it. No reason to play this game over its competitors.

I am shocked that people were liking the Marvel game for the same reasons. I guess having Marvel characters carries a lot of weight.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
a conventional atheistically pleasing world?
The Marvel shooter's maps look exactly like the same aesthetically pleasing Overwatch maps, except worse.

I'm hoping this Space Marine game is good. I'm sick of shiny statues.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Game sucked and shouldn’t have been made. I’m not a fan of shooters and this type in general, but the pronoun shit wasn’t gonna go great anyway.

Aazrael

It's all you Monkey Game players fault!

Game looked like shit, not one cool character. I did feel the same with Deadlock, I did not like their character models in that game either but the difference is it might be a good game. I'm not into MOBAs so I kinda stopped playing it.

• 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
Game looked like shit, not one cool character.

1725383817147.png

DATS RACIST, WE WUZ KWEENZ

lol

i mean its an ugly character no matter what but why on earth would you put blue lipstick on that pig

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Araxen

They are going to re-release it as F2P, and it'll still be a failure. The heroes are way too generic looking. Overwatch has a diverse cast, and they get away with it because their characters are interesting.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Shmoopy

Money spent vs outcome, Concord has got to be the biggest bomb in gaming history? I've seen various lists of bombs but nothing comes this close?

Possibly adjusted for inflation the ET Atari game.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Money spent vs outcome, Concord has got to be the biggest bomb in gaming history? I've seen various lists of bombs but nothing comes this close?

Good, maybe companies will stop making the same fucking game over and over.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

They had No Man's Sky on that list in 2021? Yes, it critically flopped initially but still had great sales numbers. And as we all know they've had a storybook redemption arc. Hello Games has been pretty consistently making $30M profit a year while not even charging for their DLC work. It's a fucking resounding success in the long view.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
For all its faults, at least overwatch was good when it was good. A nice diverse cast without forcing DEI and pronouns down your throat. They fucked that game up so bad.

How could this company think they could compare with overwatch though ..

• 3Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
For all its faults, at least overwatch was good when it was good. A nice diverse cast without forcing DEI and pronouns down your throat. They fucked that game up so bad.

How could this company think they could compare with overwatch though ..
The difference is pretty obvious to tell from overwatch 1 launch crew to the crap they added after. OW1 is a cast of characters that have a story which is probably stemming from a lot of work on Titan. After that it's been pure tokenism and a lot of the stuff has been garbage since.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users