General Gaming News and Discussion

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Kinda crazy that NES games were 45-60 bucks.
The big NES games were so unbelievably profitable...
1725469666752.png

1725469729815.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The most I remember paying for any cartridge game was 90 bucks for Phantasy Star II. Also, a decade later, paying 100+ for the special edition Madden that had EVERY team like eveeeer.
SNES had some wicked expensive games. Street Fighter II Turbo, Super Street Fighter II, and Final Fantasy VI (III) I recall topping $70

Caliane

Crazy to see Grim Fandango on that list. I always thought it was a success. But maybe it was during the end of point and click adventure games and only the die hard fans bought it. I loved it but I have a soft spot for adventure games.
the list and voting system is baffling if you go down it.

#13. atari 2600 pacman.
"Pac-Man first came to fruition in 1972 as an arcade game. However, in 1983, the video game industry hit an all-time low. In an effort to increase sales, Atari decided to purchase the exclusive rights to the yellow man from Namco, and released a poorer quality version of Pac-Man for the Atari 2600 console. Initial sales were a success, but Atari ambitiously produced 12 million copies, nearly half of which were never sold.

Oddly enough, this sub-par port of the arcade cabinet original holds the title of "best selling game" for the Atari 2600, with over 7 million units sold.
7million sold in 83. "flop". whoever is doing this is retarded.
while that link says this,
he Atari 2600 version of the game sold over 8 million copies,Pac-Man - Wikipedia making it the console's best-selling title.

so, 7million out of 12, with 5million unsold is still a huge success. 8m sold out of 12 is an even bigger one...
literally the best selling atari 2600 game of all time.

so lets look at grim fandango.

Oddly enough, despite the high critical acclaim, the game didn't sell more than 500,000 copies even several years after its release.

curse of monkey island released the year prior in 97. it took 12 years to hit "Tiller recalled total sales between 700,000 and 800,000 copies in 2009.[22]"
full throttle in 95 was expected to sell about 100k, and broke 1 million. the first lucasarts adventure to do so. Full Throttle (1995 video game) - Wikipedia

According to Tim Schafer, the game(grm fandango) achieved sales of approximately 500,000 units by 2012,[131] around 50% fewer than Full Throttle had achieved.

def just seems like reasonable sales numbers for point and click at the time. even if its "dissappointing". that still not a colossal failure unless the devs are just stupid.
what was the final fantasy that had insane projected sales numbers? was it ff14 at launch? 11? which one was that? I want to say it was around diablo3 in release, it was a big talking point on the insane ballooning of dev costs around that time.

edit:eek:k more I think it wasn't either mmo. I do think whatever game I am thinking off, was around d3. I want to say it had 200m budget and they thought they were going to get 7m+ projected sales, around the time d3 hit 9m. and whatever it was hit closer to 1m. watchdogs maybe? (no that was the next year, but hit 10m sold)

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Caeden

Rural KY was a gaming desert. We had a Walmart and a Kmart. They usually had 3 copies of Super R-Type and 10 copies of Paperboy for SNES. So I’d pre-order like one of 10 copies that a Babbages would get and drive the 45 minutes to get it.

I had to mail order Final Fantasy IV

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
#13. atari 2600 pacman.
Financially it wasn't a flop because there was no internet to instantly spread the word about the game being an absolute piece of shit compared to the arcade version. It did do irreparable damage to the Atari brand name and was a big part of why ET turned out to be such a disaster.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The most I remember paying for any cartridge game was 90 bucks for Phantasy Star II. Also, a decade later, paying 100+ for the special edition Madden that had EVERY team like eveeeer.
Im trying to remember the reason. Something about localization? Or something like that. Just know we paid out of the ass for Phantasy Star 2 because of some weird circumstance. My mom blew a fucking fuse when she found out how much I spent on that game even though I earned that money myself.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I have fond memories of Secret of Mana. One of my favorites back then. I think it was on SNES? That system had some great games.

• 2Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Hell yeah dude! One of my favs

IIRC phantasy star 4 was more. I remember paying $100

• 1Mother of God

Caeden

I actually never owned secret of mana. FF6 was definitely over 70. I might still have my receipt.
Bah. Didn’t have it. Did find receipt for super Metroid though. 1994 was date.

I still have the box, map and instruction manual with FF3/6

IMG_0416.jpeg

• 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Caeden

My copy of Zelda ALttP still has a receipt. Hard to read but looks like it says $49.95. Seems about right from what I remember.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

I actually never owned secret of mana. FF6 was definitely over 70. I might still have my receipt.

I got illusions of Gia because it was a 49$ game vs SoM that was 69 @ ye ol paper slip toys r us.

We never got FF4 or 6 (2/3) bc they were I believe at times 80 … my bro always borrowed them from his friends at school

Wasn’t even ff7 an expensive psx game?

• 1Like

Caeden

Bah. Didn’t have it. Did find receipt for super Metroid though. 1994 was date.

I still have the box, map and instruction manual with FF3/6

View attachment 544479
Yeah. That’s also Walmart Layaway. I would have been 14 or 15 then. We were poor. I never had a summer job because I worked on my grandfathers farm. I wasn’t paid because he said he fed me and was paying my college. My only random sources of incomes were odd days off to do work elsewhere for people in the church and I got $1 per A on my report card.

• 1Like

Caeden

I got illusions of Gia because it was a 49$ game vs SoM that was 69 @ ye ol paper slip toys r us.

We never got FF4 or 6 (2/3) bc they were I believe at times 80 … my bro always borrowed them from his friends at school

Wasn’t even ff7 an expensive psx game?
I dunno. I didn’t buy a psx until it was dirt cheap. I had an N64. Blind loyalty and Zelda.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Siliconemelons

Fist job was price work, like .04 a piece - got thru summer , only 1 or 2 days a week for 4 or so hours each, but as a kid seemed forever, bought StarFox 64 w the RUMBLE PACK, it was like 83$ after tax at the wal mart, when electronics was this hub in the middle of the store.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity