General Gaming News and Discussion

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I dunno. I didn’t buy a psx until it was dirt cheap. I had an N64. Blind loyalty and Zelda.
I remember owning a PS1 pretty early and it was the best value I ever got out of a console I think cause it was so easily hacked by sticking a paperclip or what I used was that paste you used to hang posters on walls, you'd block the cd tray button so the console thought it was closed and you'd switch the cd after it did the authentication thing at the start. I bought a cd burner and I'd just copy games I rented(often I didn't have to rent them at all either, I'd just borrow them from the local video game shop cause I spent money on Magic cards there so they didn't really mind letting me borrow them for a night). I think I owned only the game that came with the console(Ridge Racer I think?) and everything else was just copies.

PS2 was more annoying cause you needed a dvd burner which was a lot more expensive(blank dvds as well) and you had to fuck around more to get them to load iirc but it's been years. Still I did that too and didn't spend a whole lot on PS2 games either. After that Sony stopped being idiots about it and it became a lot harder, requiring modding the console and stuff, so I started buying games again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Heian

Molten Core Raider
My dad wanted to buy me a computer but then my parents divorced. My mom left with my sisters and I stayed with him. The PC became too expensive for him back then he then offered me a PS1 with MK3 and king's field. I think it was a week or two after launch. I never expected that I would put so many hours on that console.

He always did his best and I have great respect for him.

I was younger around 8 years old. I wanted a NES with Zelda. He bought me Zelda 2 thinking it was better. It was my only game. Took me almost a year but I finished it. My first NES game I ever finished. I finished it again on the Nintendo switch(using save states) and I could not believe that me as a kid beaten that game all by myself.

I won the money to buy my SNES at a videogame SMB3 tournament in my region.(early 90) Finished second and the price was 250$. The first price was a SNES with a game. Asked my dad for Final Fantasy and he got me Mystic Quest.... The music was great. He didn't understood videogame, he was a gold miner/wood worker.

• 9Like
  • 3Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 12 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I got my PS1 when they sent me to the Kentucky truck plant for a whole 6 months for the launch of the new Ford truck in like 94. They were giving me like $75 a day for food, which was a lot at the time. So the first few weeks I ate and drank like a king at all sorts of restaurants, but got sick of going out all the time so I decided to write my own receipts (for expense report) and ate cheap in the apartment, which also had a kitchen. So it did not take long to get the $500 or whatever the PS1 cost. I remember they only had a few games at the time, Battle Arena Toshinden, some golf game and Rtype. I got them all and we would all have golf playoffs and Toshinden fights in my hotel room and ate cheap ass pizza. Good times. they would also fly us back and forth every weekend on a private Ford jet, but often times I would just stay there. Louisville was a nice city, at least back then. They gave us a big ass F250 Van with a 460 in it to drive to the plant, with one caveat, we had to pick up people and drive them all to the plant every day at 6AM. But the van was pretty much ours after that.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Burns

2024-09-05 04.48.48 www.pcgamer.com 1b612392bc43.png

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Maybe this is finally the turning point and we stop getting these fucking committee-built live service slop launches?

Yeah dude, that'll be the day. I think we might actually be closing in on some sort of realignment though. Wouldn't surprise me to see a major shift in 2025 one way or another (either doubling down on everything that doesn't work, or moving away from it) depending on cultural indicators like the election. Just talking about the U.S. here though, obviously Korea, Japan, etc are a different ballgame.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yeah we discuss old game prices every few years on here. The one I remember 100% for certain was Secret of Mana being $89.99, because my mother specifically wanted to know wtf was so great about this game to make it $40-50 more than the usual NES/SNES game.

It turned out to be one of the best co-op games of that era, and possibly all time, so I do not regret the $90.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
all i learned is that you motherfuckers who claim to have grown up poor did not, in fact, grow up poor.

Every Atari, NES, sega genesis etc game that I ever owned growing up came from garage sales at $2 a pop. hell my Atari and nintendo were both purchased from the flea market. Didn't own a Genesis until years after it's launch when it was $99 and that was christmas and birthday that year

• 2Double Worf
  • 1Worf

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
all i learned is that you motherfuckers who claim to have grown up poor did not, in fact, grow up poor.

Every Atari, NES, sega genesis etc game that I ever owned growing up came from garage sales at $2 a pop. hell my Atari and nintendo were both purchased from the flea market. Didn't own a Genesis until years after it's launch when it was $99 and that was christmas and birthday that year

Is your definition of poor "never paying MSRP for any good or service?"

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to

I only ever got an old NES, we didn't get a SNES or N64 or GameCube :(

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My dad wanted to buy me a computer but then my parents divorced. My mom left with my sisters and I stayed with him. The PC became too expensive for him back then he then offered me a PS1 with MK3 and king's field. I think it was a week or two after launch. I never expected that I would put so many hours on that console.

He always did his best and I have great respect for him.

I was younger around 8 years old. I wanted a NES with Zelda. He bought me Zelda 2 thinking it was better. It was my only game. Took me almost a year but I finished it. My first NES game I ever finished. I finished it again on the Nintendo switch(using save states) and I could not believe that me as a kid beaten that game all by myself.

I won the money to buy my SNES at a videogame SMB3 tournament in my region.(early 90) Finished second and the price was 250$. The first price was a SNES with a game. Asked my dad for Final Fantasy and he got me Mystic Quest.... The music was great. He didn't understood videogame, he was a gold miner/wood worker.
I remember asking for Final Fantasy for SNES and getting Mystic Quest too.

• 2Rustled
  • 1Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I remember saving up for a while and buying mystic quest myself. Boy did I fuck myself.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Siliconemelons

My Dad bought my brother and I ONE video game during our times as kids .. donkey Kong jr for the nes… i was happy my dad got us a game, my brother complained and my dad took it back and we got nothing…and he never bought us a game again.

All our games were money saved from Christmas and bday etc until we worked. Our SNES was on layaway at Kmart. I remember paying it off , we put down each our Christmas money then paid it off w birthday and Easter funds

• 3Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
We got games for MSRP but only for birthdays/christmas or if it was one of the big ones like a new FF. Having our father being into gaming helped a lot too. Otherwise we went to the rental place every Friday.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
My Dad bought my brother and I ONE video game during our times as kids .. donkey Kong jr for the nes… i was happy my dad got us a game, my brother complained and my dad took it back and we got nothing…and he never bought us a game again.

All our games were money saved from Christmas and bday etc until we worked. Our SNES was on layaway at Kmart. I remember paying it off , we put down each our Christmas money then paid it off w birthday and Easter funds

It’s amazing how much something seemingly so simple accounts for good fiscal habits in adulthood, as well as contributing to impulse control. I’m assuming here, but anecdotally every person in my sphere who is good with money has these childhood memories.

• 3Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
We got games for MSRP but only for birthdays/christmas or if it was one of the big ones like a new FF. Having our father being into gaming helped a lot too. Otherwise we went to the rental place every Friday.

Shut up you richie rich bigot.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users