General Gaming News and Discussion

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
You got to rent games on Tuesday because that's when it was dollar rental day.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
We didn't pay a premium for no box

1725567816180.jpeg

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
My Dad bought my brother and I ONE video game during our times as kids .. donkey Kong jr for the nes… i was happy my dad got us a game, my brother complained and my dad took it back and we got nothing…and he never bought us a game again.

All our games were money saved from Christmas and bday etc until we worked. Our SNES was on layaway at Kmart. I remember paying it off , we put down each our Christmas money then paid it off w birthday and Easter funds

Solves the mystery of what happened to my Dad after he left us and gave us up for adoption! Thanks for tying up my loose ends and providing closure.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Siliconemelons

Solves the mystery of what happened to my Dad after he left us and gave us up for adoption! Thanks for tying up my loose ends and providing closure.

lol

My Dad did not, and still does not “get” vidya games - and i think that meme spelling is funny because he said things like that.

So for him to buy us a game, it was like whoa, but no my bro had to ruin it… he is 6 years older than me, and the gap, he was much an only child syndrome

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I did a lot of buying and selling other games at the local flea market. But for those top tier releases, I’d scrounge to get my own copy.

My grandmother was super into gaming and had an Atari 2600, Atari 7200, Action Max (fun but sorta shitty), Pong (yep sliders and all), and an intellivision. Plus her NES which was basically a Super Mario Bros and Tetris machine. She was my ally.

I only really remember a few drives home with games….FF3, Zelda ALttP, and Street Fighter 2 Turbo. I couldn’t afford quarter munching so to this day I’m sorta lost with a joystick in fighting games.

I also remember getting like NBA Live one year for my birthday at random because I was like one of 3 NBA fans alive in the area. I took the time to play 12 minute quarter 82 game season with the sonics LOL. How much fucking time did I waste at 14.

• 2Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Am I the only one here that had a Colecovision? I remember loving the shit out of it.

• 1Solidarity

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Am I the only one here that had a Colecovision? I remember loving the shit out of it.
I didnt have one but my buddy did. This was in the era of Atari 2600. There was an intellivision too that my aunt and uncle had. I remember playing it at their house all the time. LOL, they didnt even have kids.

• 2Like

Goonsquad Officer
I had a homie with sega channel. We had to try to beat rpgs before the games changed

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
At a certain point all games were Christmas, birthday, or me saving. Same with consoles. We were definitely middle class house poor. Games were super important to me so all my money went to them.

I say certain point because up until I was maybe 10 or so my dad gamed too. I blame that for how I turned out.

• 1Solidarity

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Same here noodle. We were lower middle class until way later, like end of high school days. I had a 2600 but way later, my pops picked it up at a garage sale. It wasnt until like I was 15 when I got my job that I could buy the shit I wanted, like SNES. But my next door neighbor had all that shit and he was my best bud so thats where I played it all back in the OG Nintendo days.

But times were different back then. We all played games but mostly hung out outside fucking around. Its not like today where kids are shut ins for the most part.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Same here noodle. We were lower middle class until way later, like end of high school days. I had a 2600 but way later, my pops picked it up at a garage sale. It wasnt until like I was 15 when I got my job that I could buy the shit I wanted, like SNES. But my next door neighbor had all that shit and he was my best bud so thats where I played it all back in the OG Nintendo days.

But times were different back then. We all played games but mostly hung out outside fucking around. Its not like today where kids are shut ins for the most part.
Yeah that's another thing too. We had a neighborhood friend group and we'd just migrate between eachothers houses playing different games when we weren't on full day adventures in the woods.

Wasn't often we all had the same games unless they were really good. Like goldeneye

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Yeah that's another thing too. We had a neighborhood friend group and we'd just migrate between eachothers houses playing different games when we weren't on full day adventures in the woods.

Wasn't often we all had the same games unless they were really good. Like goldeneye

This was totally me growing up. Didn't get anything till the SNES. But played a bunch of NES and Genesis at other neighborhood kids houses. My parents wouldn't let me get Mortal Kombat but was able to play it that way too.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Not gonna make a thread for it but astrobot releases tomorrow and it's being called the best 3d platformer in a decade. Lots of 9s and 10s so far.

If you played the one that came with PS5, this is allegedly even better and I'd consider that game a masterpiece for what it was.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I remember on the 2600 the favorites were pitfall, frogger, spider man and centipede. We played others but those were like the mainstays.

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Nah had one too. Trying to remember the games we had. Some penguin racing type thing, smurfs, and qbert I think.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah I only ever had an NES and a handful of games for it until my mid to late teens when we finally got a playstation. Far from the first time I've told the story but I played Top Gun so fucking much that I eventually learned how to consistently land on the end of level aircraft carrier blind, which was the only way to progress because the in-game prompts (too slow, too fast, etc) were completely wrong and you would crash every single time if you followed them. I would guess that only a handful of people ever beat that game before the internet.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Nah had one too. Trying to remember the games we had. Some penguin racing type thing, smurfs, and qbert I think.
I remember mostly the arcade cabinet games like Donkey Kong, Gorf, Zaxxon, Qbert, Galaxian, etc/

• 1Like