Get Out (2017)

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
i do find it off this movie is 130 votes and at 100%, This better be a masterpiece. I also feel that Fury Road would not of had such a high score if it was a male instead of Charlize Theron

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
It's not like the average score is 100%, ya know. Metacritic is fairly high, though, at 83. Still many movies higher.

La La Land, for example, is 93. Since that doesn't have black people, I can rest easy knowing it's a real score not bought and paid with collective fear.

Seriously, if there is a bias, I think it's more likely a subtle unconscious one than actual fear.

Caliane

goodbadflicks guy review said its about 90% satire.

I was on board with early trailers, where it looked like a genuine horror movie, directed and starring black actors, that WASN'T the stereotypical black horror movie.
Later trailers do just look like The Stepford wives, racial edition. Dude calling it satire, at no point mentioned Stepford wives, which would be odd, if it were. So, the satire I would presume is something else. With the other obvious alternative just being "white people are crazy and weird."

I do enjoy satire/deconstruction of horror movies. you're next and The cabin in the woods. But, I have doubts on this now.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
Pretty decent movie, lots of satirical stuff. it was a little heavy handed in the beginning but i felt like it paid off by the end.

i dont think its deserving of the 100% but its probably an 8/10 and one of the better "horror" movies i've seen recently.

there is a racial component but its not what you think.

• 1Like

Homsar

It's not like the average score is 100%, ya know. Metacritic is fairly high, though, at 83. Still many movies higher.

La La Land, for example, is 93. Since that doesn't have black people, I can rest easy knowing it's a real score not bought and paid with collective ne fear.

Seriously, if there is a bias, I think it's more likely a subtle unconscious one than actual fear.
Not having one negative review is just bizare

DickTrickle

And, of course, you can always count on Armond White to be a contrarian. He is basically the film critic version of Tanoomba. Here's that negative review: Return of the Get-Whitey Movie

This board should really respond well to his review, though. He's the rare conservative black media critic. I don't think he gets his reviews on RT anymore after moving to his latest outlet, though.

In Get Out, just as Obama did, Peele exploits racial discomfort, irresponsibly playing racial grief and racist relief off against each other, subjecting imagination and identification to political sway."

Get Out is an attenuated comedy sketch in which serious concerns are debased. Pushing buttons that alarm blacks yet charm white liberals, Peele manipulates the Trayvon Martin myth the same way Obama himself did when he pandered by saying, “Trayvon Martin could have been my son."

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
I think you just proved our point by comparing this to a Pixar film and a Studio Ghibli film which are highly regarded as the best animated studios in the world period.

This is a horror/satire by Peele...The 100% is extremely suspect.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

I think you just proved our point by comparing this to a Pixar film and a Studio Ghibli film which are highly regarded as the best animated studios in the world period.

Yep, you are right, that makes it clearly impossible. Just straight fear. You don't even claim bias giving the film a bump, which seems far more plausible for liberal media (which would be ironic given how white liberals are satirized in the film). I just think it is so ludicrous that you think critics are afraid of expressing their opinion when no other race oriented film has ever had 100%. Why is this the one that makes them toe the line? Why didn't Hidden Figures or Fences or 42 or Selma or 12 Years a Slave get 100% from these scaredy-critics? And those are films aiming for awards. It'd be so much easier to give a horror film a negative review and not have anyone care. Yet, all of a sudden, these critics thought they'd be ostracized if they give a bad review?

Seriously though, read Armond White's negative review. It will give you everything you want to hear and you can say you knew it all along because one person had integrity when the other 132 were paralyzed by fear.

Last edited:

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
This wasn't deserving of a 100%. Great acting but pretty clunky directing relying on a lot of jump scares to even keep up the appearance of this being horror. It's not a bad movie it's just not particularly good either, it kind of doesn't know what it wants to be other than a satire piece and kind of just flounders around attempting to make that happen. Overall a pretty lazy movie, maybe 7/10.

DickTrickle

I really think people get misled by the RT percentage. It has 100% reviews that are least a 6/10 or above is what that translates to (roughly). Its actual average score is 8.2/10 last I looked, but it seems that always gets ignored.

Last edited:

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>

I'd be inclined to think it's both. Liberal fear combined with a legitimately good movie with alot of satire. Key and Peele is a very talented and funny show, but if you don't see the black view of the world in it, you are being willfully ignorant.

• 1Like

Homsar

It feels like the critics that give negative reviews for traffic are too afraid of the online SJW. There is always one pushing that button but it hasnt happened yet. Going off of scores/ratings this movie is better than The Godfather on RT

I agree with Trickle the rating score on RT is a much better indicator

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
It just means 100% of the people who reviewed this sad it wasn't garbage. That's probably fair. But keeping in that system, I think a lot more movies should be 100% as well. There are always contrarians and people looking for attention to shit on even the best movies though.

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
I would compare this to "You're Next". Not necessarily in that they are the same movie (plot differences and definitely not as gory as You're Next), but both were predictable yet I didn't mind so much because I really wanted to see how the movie played it out and cheer for the Protagonist. I felt Peele did a decent job of keeping some comedy (the police report, lol) in the movie while still making it suspenseful. As other have said, it wasn't a 100% (or 10/10 however you want to say it) movie, but it was fun. 7/10 or so for me.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
It just means 100% of the people who reviewed this sad it wasn't garbage. That's probably fair. But keeping in that system, I think a lot more movies should be 100% as well. There are always contrarians and people looking for attention to shit on even the best movies though.

These are my thoughts as well. I like it has a 100% rating. It just shows how garbage that rating really is and how bad critics really are. Peele is one talented guy so I will definitely watch this at some point. Probably doing Logan next week though. There is some validity to both sides of the argument. Three of the perfect ratings have happened in the past decade so maybe critics are just a different breed today.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Tried to see it today: sold out. Checked the close theater and nearest time: sold out.

Black folks be loving them some Get Out.

DickTrickle

At least for opening weekend, more blacks saw this than whites (39% to 36%, and 17% Hispanic).

Also like to mention it is officially no longer 100% on RT. It was Armond White's review that I had previously linked.

• 1Like

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Why is it every time I click a movie thread that features a movie that happens to have black people in it the entire fucking conversation in said thread is about the blackness of said movie

Some of you need to get a serious handle on your shit

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users