Ghostbusters (2016)

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah pure comedy blockbusters are very rare. That's why even marginally successful ones get sequels. They are cheap to make and advertise, plus they are low risk (but low return) efforts. This isn't really a pure comedy, due to the special effects and massive add campaign behind it. Studio expectations are probably likely in the action movie category for this. The yiffer is probably correct in xim's assessment that it will pull in its budget opening weekend, but it will have a falloff that exceeds the one for BvS after that. I don't expect this to do well internationally, either, since American pop culture reference based comedy (especially with the girl power sideshow) does not translate well with audiences oversees. Feig's major claim to fame, Bridesmaids, didn't really dominate international box office numbers outside of the UK and a couple other cuck states, either. Its not like ID2 or Pacific Rimjob, where Asians love giant space monsters and will pay to see shit that opened weak in the US, either.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
They are pushing this movie so hard on the radio and acting like it's a summer blockbuster. I don't think I've ever seen a movie pushed so hard, in what seems like to me is blatantly obvious desperation.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Depends on if they are also dressed up as a giant space monster or not, I guess.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Do asians like fat american women?
BN-LC179_longdu_DV_20151104080940.jpg

Szlia

I would trust the audience score of this movie a bit more if you had to show your ticket to be able to vote! Not that I expect it to be any good though.

About comedies toping the box office, I had this conversation with a friend the other day as I was rather surprised to see a not so great comedy be the biggest film ever in China (the aforementioned The Mermaid), but we realized that some of the biggest ticket selling movies in France have been comedies (La grande vadrouille, Intouchable, Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis).

Looking at the domestic all time list of box office mojo, the first non animated comedy is probably Home Alone, followed closely by Meet The Fockers and The Hangover. Adjusted for inflation you also have Airport and, surprisingly, Blazing Saddles that pop up (things like the original Ghostbuster or Beverly Hill Cop are above, but while packed with comedic elements are these really comedies?). But we are talking ranking in the 70s for the non adjusted list and 50s for the inflation adjusted one, so far from the top. Comedies fare better if you add animated movies like Shrek 2, but they are different beasts.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Audience score is most likely even inflated since a huge chunk of the people who've seen it at this point are those dead-set on this not being an abortion because "girl power!"

I will be amazed if this pile of shit doesn't end up in the 30's or lower with the audience.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They really know how to make a comparison
FRIDAY AM UPDATE: Sony's Ghostbusters reboot brought in an estimated $3.4 million from Thursday night previews. Green Lantern also kicked off its Thursday with $3.4 million before opening with $53.1 million

The Secret Life of Pets (4,382 theaters) - $54.3 M
Ghostbusters (2016) (3,963 theaters) - $46 M
Finding Dory (3,536 theaters) - $11.4 M
Reminder that next week is Star Trek and Ice Age 58: Way Too Many.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Audience score is most likely even inflated since a huge chunk of the people who've seen it at this point are those dead-set on this not being an abortion because "girl power!"

I will be amazed if this pile of shit doesn't end up in the 30's or lower with the audience.
There's probably plenty of people who have not seen it who voted, from both tribes. It's early Friday; it's barely been released.

Cinemascore will be more useful to gauge true audience reaction.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I hate it because it's another bullshit remake of a beloved franchise. I loathe the Director because he's a giant fucking tool and I'm sick of the god damn media pushing this fucking narrative. Go back to Oberlin college and climb back in your safe space so you can protect yourself from culturally appropriated Banh Mi.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
The game just got a 3/10 on Gamespot.

When it rains it pours.

Way to kill a franchise hollywood retards.

spronk

FPS noob
reviews for Star Trek starting to come in and come in pretty strong, 86% so far on RT. might go check it out next weekend

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
They are pushing this movie so hard on the radio and acting like it's a summer blockbuster. I don't think I've ever seen a movie pushed so hard, in what seems like to me is blatantly obvious desperation.
they kinda have to. Unlike all the 30-50mil movies feig has made, this one cost 144 million, which is well in to "blockbuster" status.