Gods of Egypt (2016)

Szlia

The animations in this trailer are extremely bad. I mean the flying armor thing is the kind of result you would expect from a guy that hardly ever animated anything in his life. Buuuuuut... I am sucker for movies set during the antiquity so I'll keep a little optimism for this project.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
so this is the second recent movie where white=eqyptians, huh?
It's very complicated. Unfortunately most people are fucking morons and make comments like you did.

Yes. Egyptians were white, at least the ruling class. The people who wrote the books, religions, history, etc... And it got even worse after Alexander.

Whenever people go off on the whole white/black issue I need to remind them the Romans were so fucking racist that even Red Hair was considered "foreign". You really think the Romans were cool with both Julius Caesar and Markus Antonius fucking a black chick and making their kids heirs? Of course they were. She was white.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
It's very complicated. Unfortunately most people are fucking morons and make comments like you did.

Yes. Egyptians were white, at least the ruling class. The people who wrote the books, religions, history, etc... And it got even worse after Alexander.

Whenever people go off on the whole white/black issue I need to remind them the Romans were so fucking racist that even Red Hair was considered "foreign". You really think the Romans were cool with both Julius Caesar and Markus Antonius fucking a black chick and making their kids heirs? Of course they were. She was white.
No, Egyptians were not white, and that's a pretty damn stupid thing to believe.
The Greek historian Herodotus, who wrote extensively about Egypt around 450 BC, was among the first to indirectly shed some light on the appearance of the ancient Egyptians. Writing over 100 years before Alexander the Great conquered Egypt, Herodotus argued that the inhabitants of Colchis (an area on the east coast of the Black Sea) were of Egyptian descent because, like the Egyptians, they had dark skin and woolly hair. Both groups also practiced circumcision and apparently wove linen in a similar way. Herodotus's short description has been the subject of endless debate. The exact words he uses are melanchroes (meaning having dark or black skin) and oulotriches (having woolly or curly hair). Some scholars believe that melanchroes could mean anyone with darker skin than Herodotus himself. Herodotus also notes that the Colchians physical appearance "proves nothing, since other peoples also have these traits," which could imply that the Colchians didn't look significantly different from other Asian peoples. But while we don't precisely know what Herodotus meant by melanchroes, it clearly implies they were darker than the Greeks, indicating that the Egyptians were probably not particularly light-skinned.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Do the people getting butt hurt over white Egyptians care about every white character getting turned into a different race/gender from movies and comics ??

iannis

Musty Nester
No, it will truly be bad.

But Clash of the Titans (the one from the 70's. I never watched the remake they did) was AWESOME. And still is.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀

Not to be that guy, but no. Egyptians weren't 'white.' Nor was their ruling class except for a relatively fucking tiny part of the civilization's history- ie. the Ptolemies/Roman bullshit/Cleopatra whatever that you're thinking of. Egypt as a civilization spent more time being ruled by brown-as-shit sunbaked non-Egyptian tar black warlords than it did under the Greek/Roman influence.

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
Well, there is this whole movement that believes Egyptians were black in ancient history and that the people there now are conquers from the Middle East from when ever. I think it's kinda like the Hebrew nation dudes that think the only "true" Jews are black and from America. Though the Egyptian thing could actually be true and not some made up bullshit from a black panther reject. Who knows?

Zastlyn

Peasant
Lol I've never heard of that before. After 5 min of research it doesn't seem that it's true, just some B.S.

Well either way I'm going to exercise my white privilege and watch this movie. That's what they get for making Heimdall and Anne black.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
"Gods of Egypt" director Alex Proyas
this guy needs a better headshot
talentphoto_3254_1324337840.jpg

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
a better troll would of been to cast white south african actor's to play all the characters