Gods of Egypt (2016)

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
This wasn't as horrible as I expected it to be, but overall I think I prefered Pride & Prejudice & Zombies more. Which is saying something.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Let's make an Egyptian movie with all the main characters white yeah Hollywood has no inclusion problem are there no Egyptian actors who don't need work
i thought i read somewhere that ancient egyptians racial origins have not been pinned down exactly.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
i thought i read somewhere that ancient egyptians racial origins have not been pinned down exactly.
That's true as far as it goes, but it's more a debate about whether ancient Egyptians were black or middle eastern, I'm pretty sure Norse wasn't one of the considered options; hence the weirdness about casting Jaime Lannister as Ra. Really, if they'd just cast a bunch of Mediterranean-looking fuckers, they probably could've avoided most of the bitching about whitewashing. Wouldn't have helped the quality of the movie, but still.

khalid

Unelected Mod
they probably could've avoided most of the bitching about whitewashing. Wouldn't have helped the quality of the movie, but still.
The only reason to even go and see this movie was if you were a fan of Gerard Butler or NCW.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Depends on the period, and the social class. By the Roman era the ruling caster were mostly 'white', well, greek. In the Ancient world they were probably a kind of mix of Semitic/Persian/Arab (With some possible Greek; there are some texts of Pharoes with red hair). In addition though we know sub Saharan Africans also existed within the Ancient Kingdoms. The best guess is probably that the royalty and upper class were middle eastern/Mediterranean types.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
There is no debate, they absolutely were not "black" in any sense of the word, thats just butthurt African Americans crying about how they used to be kings, true cultural appropriation right there.

Luckily the ancient Egyptians a) figured out a way to preserve their remains for thousands of years and b) figured out a way to store those remains in elaborate tombs where we'd know where to find them once we invented dna testing.

The Egyptians who did anything worth talking about where from the levant, ie middle eastern. The closest genetic relatives are Lebanese. Lebanese are descendants of the ancient Phoenicians. current theories speculate that egypt was perhaps an early Phoenician colony.

Egyptians were only black when you go back far enough to when everyone was black, but no one gives a shit about the ancient ancient Egyptians before inventions like fire and agriculture.

You can cry all you want about casting uk peeps as Egyptian gods but gerard butler has a little more box office pull than tony shalhoub (he's the only actor i can think of from Lebanon, ie what Ancient Egyptians looked like)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Depends on the period, and the social class. By the Roman era the ruling caster were mostly 'white', well, greek. In the Ancient world they were probably a kind of mix of Semitic/Persian/Arab (With some possible Greek; there are some texts of Pharoes with red hair). In addition though we know sub Saharan Africans also existed within the Ancient Kingdoms. The best guess is probably that the royalty and upper class were middle eastern/Mediterranean types.
well ok, is it safe to say the ancient egyptians had olive skin? if gerard butler can pull off king leonidas even though he is scottish, then why the butthurt over this movie where he plays a character with the same complexion?
There is no debate, they absolutely were not "black" in any sense of the word, thats just butthurt African Americans crying about how they used to be kings, true cultural appropriation right there.

Luckily the ancient Egyptians a) figured out a way to preserve their remains for thousands of years and b) figured out a way to store those remains in elaborate tombs where we'd know where to find them once we invented dna testing.

The Egyptians who did anything worth talking about where from the levant, ie middle eastern. The closest genetic relatives are Lebanese. Lebanese are descendants of the ancient Phoenicians. current theories speculate that egypt was perhaps an early Phoenician colony.

Egyptians were only black when you go back far enough to when everyone was black, but no one gives a shit about the ancient ancient Egyptians before inventions like fire and agriculture
theyre claiming ancient Egypt now too? i though the best they could muster was Nubia?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
What's a Nubian?
somebody that just started playing EQ and picked an erudite?
tongue.png

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Basically all of the southern Mediterranean coastal area were populated by white/middle eastern races. Because those races invented ships capable of traveling across the med first.

There was a lot of viking type action happening in the pre-history in the med.

Sea Peoples - Ancient History Encyclopedia

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Can you explain what the fuck that is? I kept hearing ads on Pandora for it but I never looked to go see a trailer.
The original Pride & Prejudice was a book they made me read in high school that I absolutely despised. It is all about proper ladies and proper gentlemen doing proper bullshit like attending balls and dancing and, most prominently, women trying to find a good husband. The only real "conflict" in the book is that the main chick is promised to one guy but really likes another guy that she doesn't want to like, and he doesn't want to like her, except we all know they do...yeah, typical bullshit. So the zombie movie (I believe it was also a book, but not sure) takes that schlock and puts them into a world where zombies exist and are an ongoing threat to humanity, and Charles Dance is the father of these 5 or 6 smoking hot babes that he has had trained to fight (against proper social conventions), but unfortunately never get naked. And she's still promised to one guy, loves another, blah blah. It wasn't great, but I liked it better than this one.

Szlia

Note that Charles Dance's part is played by Donald Sutherland in the zombie-less version directed by Joe Wright. Another actor that can make almost any movie tolerable!

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, when it comes to shortlisting of "actors who just make shit better" by being in them, Sutherland, Dance, and Reeves (Keanu!) immediately rise to the top. It's like spectacle and history entwined.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Out on torrents, the movie is shit, the CGI is shit, the horrible Parkour is shit, the scaling looks like shit (the gods are physically like 1.5 to 2x larger than humans)

But eye candy is nice, these bitches look good in those eqyptian clothes
566808.jpg

gods-of-egypt-slider.jpg

Really seemed like they just farmed out the CGI to the lowest bidder and just collage it, from the credits here are the fx companies
Legend 3D
Raynault VFX
Rodeo FX
Comen VFX
Cinesite
Iloura

Seems like all the CGI was just farmed out to Canada. Now I know not every movie can get ILM to do some work, but this CGI was dogshit, just slightly better than those horrible sci-fi megashark vs. mega octapuss shits.