Good, Bad and Ugly of the 1980s

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>

Jimmy Fallon Help GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Kind of surprised we got this far without at least one song by Michael Jackson.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Purple Rain may be the greatest movie soundtrack since Saturday Night Fever.

Def Leppard, all good and better.
the radio and MTV tried so hard to kill these songs. maybe they did for "pour some sugar on me" which seemed to be the exotic dancer theme song for the rest of time. but i never got sick of these songs.
Rock of Ages was voted the #1 song of 1983 in small town Nova Scotia.

On Through The Night was one of the first cassettes I owned.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Its programmed into out soul right around puberty. 11-18ish that age is THE music you will live and love forever. For me late 70s thru mid 80s is the era of songs I love the most.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Its programmed into out soul right around puberty. 11-18ish that age is THE music you will live and love forever. For me late 70s thru mid 80s is the era of songs I love the most.
i dunno. i loved me some late 70s-mid 80s. but the 60s and early 70s were fucking wild for music too. both my parents played those songs all through my early childhood nonstop. so not only were they good songs, they have extreme sentimental value for me. sometimes i "rediscover" songs that i had completely forgotten about.
earlier this year i was clicking on a bunch of recommended songs. and i hit this one by random.
its not a great song, its just ok, but then i got a flashback of when i was really young. maybe 2 or 3 years old and my mom used to sing it to me when i was upset or crying cuz i fell down or something. in the 90s a lot of songs were so awesome because i had met a bunch of new friends through work and we would party to those songs on the weekend in my 20s. late 2000s same deal. new job, new friends. new girlfriend. its really hard to differentiate if the song was actually that good or because of the good memories that are tied to them. somebody like me would not be a lady gaga fan ever, but my GF who was only about mid 20s at the time changed all my presets in the car and we used to sing her songs and others while out cruising. ive owned convertibles or classic cars for most of my life and you tend to cruise a lot in them, i never raced my cars.
this song i was not a fan of. i still dont like it but chick i was dating did a passable rendition of it when she sang it. so its cool.
and to remain on topic. she did a decent version of this song.

but its not cool. i fucking hate this song.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
At least in my memory, this song taking off in 1987 was the genesis point for all house/dance/EDM.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
At least in my memory, this song taking off in 1987 was the genesis point for all house/dance/EDM.

its always been Kraftwerk-Autobahm, along with Gary Numan. in the 80s you had Planet Rock which is such an amazing fucking song.
the music in Electric Dreams is great too.
fuck, John Carpenter is amazing too.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Idk, a lot of the music I currently love would have appealed to Teenage Pharmakos. And a lot of my favorite albums have come out long after my 18th birthday.

The whole point that someone else mentioned, tho, about how most adults only listen to music for less than an hour a day (on their commute) could be a factor.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I was an Iron Maiden fan. I went to find a song to paste here and it all sounded so cheesy :emoji_laughing:

I know for sure the art on the covers made me buy my first ever CD which was piece of mind.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I was an Iron Maiden fan. I went to find a song to paste here and it all sounded so cheesy :emoji_laughing:

I know for sure the art on the covers made me buy my first ever CD which was piece of mind.
dont be ashamed, Piece of Mind is a fantastic album. one of their best. Bruce Dickinson was a corny motherfucker. but we love the fuck out of him for it.

• 1Like