GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Fucker

Log Wizard
Disappointing endings to series:
Mass Effect > GoT > Star Wars

I didn't watch Lost.

It's unbelievable that they took a year off to write this show and coughed up this pile of shit that is so internally inconsistent, lazy and ill-conceived.

They had a year to write the show, but they waited the day before the deadline to do it.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
My thoughts while the scene was going on was just that Dany wasn't eating due to mysundae dying, and Varys was using a kid from the kitchens to spy on her to see if she was losing her shit, with the risk vs reward line just being a way to encourage the kid to not freak out about being watched.

I didn't immediately think he was trying to kill her because while Varys obviously had concerns and talked to Tyrion about them in the previous episode, I don't recall anything that indicated he was at a level where he wanted to assassinate her.

That jump, as well as the jump into executing him without actually clarifying why other than him betraying her just left me thinking that something was left out, and I still feel like it should have been connected a bit better.

What bugs me about Varys going out when he did was that he didn't get a chance to actually witness what Dany would do, making him come to the realization that he was the catalyst behind it all. The deaths of all those people are on his shoulders almost as much as they are on Dany's. Dany executing him via dragon in the final episode after him confronting her would have helped cement how far gone she is.
Is she not responsible for her actions or something? Varys is in no way responsible.

Also Martin absolutely intended for her to do something like this in the books. I expected it for years.

I also thought Tyrion would tell Dany about Varys because he is desperate for his loyalty to be repaid with good ruler and the writing is stupid. He is obviously going to be disappointed.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Here's something I can't remember anything about. Why did the Golden Company agree to take the contract with Cersei? They are from Essos and their founder was a bastard Targaryen so they should be keenly aware of the power of dragons.
I assumed this was going to be a plot point this episode and they would switch sides. Hooooboy was I off.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
They shipped over the legion that had been earmarked for downsizing after a particularly troublesome quarter. Hence 'no elephants'.

Cybsled

Why are people bitching about how Cersei died? News flash: assholes don’t always die deserved deaths.

“The end of WW2 was shit writing. Hitler died on a couch after shooting himself. Wtf I wanted to see him smooshed by tanks!!!”

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 6 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
tinfoil hats on

• 4Like
  • 3Jonesing
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 9 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I am eager to hear more about this spinoff. I know I shouldnt get my hopes up, but 5000 years ago is right at the start of all the Valyrian / Andals / Children of the Forest / Old Ghis / etc. things that seem so much more high fantasy.

I would very much like to see a fantasy show about people heading up in knowledge and magic and stuff vs. heading backwards or only reading old stuff. Less Dark Ages and more Roman Empire.

Oldbased

> Than U
I am eager to hear more about this spinoff. I know I shouldnt get my hopes up, but 5000 years ago is right at the start of all the Valyrian / Andals / Children of the Forest / Old Ghis / etc. things that seem so much more high fantasy.

I would very much like to see a fantasy show about people heading up in knowledge and magic and stuff vs. heading backwards or only reading old stuff. Less Dark Ages and more Roman Empire.
I've lost all hope for the spinoffs. We have seen the quality given with no source material. Unless GRRM has made or is shitting out books of the past, I don't have any faith in HBO writers anymore when only given a general history guide.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>

it's gonna be bad, like real bad. No matter what HBO is going to put out, it's gonna be torn to pieces just because how shit the GoT was the last few seasons. People are gonna be hyper critical, unless HBO comes out and publicly aknowledges that GoT got off the rails. Then there will be hope for the spinoff. But it's very very unlikely.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Why are people bitching about how Cersei died? News flash: assholes don’t always die deserved deaths.

“The end of WW2 was shit writing. Hitler died on a couch after shooting himself. Wtf I wanted to see him smooshed by tanks!!!”

Can we please knock it off with the asinine real world comparisons? What about how Bin Laden died? Or Saddam Hussein?

This is a high fantasy epic. Not an artsy fartsy allegory.

Goddamn...

You know the story sucks shit when people are twisting themselves into a pretzel and using Nazi Germany as a justifiable basis for the nonsense that is making it to our TV screens.

• 8Like
  • 1Mic Drop
Reactions: 8 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Well the whole schtick of the epic has been about subverting narrative expectations so no reason why this wouldn't extend all the way to long arcs.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm

because a good story dictates that people get deserved deaths. we aren't getting deserved deaths, so... what do you think that means?

personally i was just irritated because it was framed as a sad thing. it wasn't that they humanized her, that would have been great. if there was this moment where she comes to her senses and realizes ALL OF THIS IS HER FAULT, it would have been appropriate for her to be all "i don't want to die" because there would have some serious revelation that she screwed up and she's paying the price for it and in the end, death humbles us all.

that's not what happened. what happened was the equivalent of crying to the police officer that pulls you over for speeding. yeah, things like that happen in real life... but people watch tv, movies and read books because of escapism. they are trying to get AWAY from real life.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Disappointing endings to series:
Mass Effect > GoT > Star Wars

I didn't watch Lost.

It's unbelievable that they took a year off to write this show and coughed up this pile of shit that is so internally inconsistent, lazy and ill-conceived.
Dexter got so bad i refused to watch the final season, but people tell me it was terrible on a whole nother level.
me and Noodleface Noodleface watched a show called The Glades and the final episode of that ended totally gay. it was a cliffhanger and when the writers were asked what happened to the guy shot on the floor, they had no answer.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Dexter got so bad i refused to watch the final season, but people tell me it was terrible on a whole nother level.
me and Noodleface Noodleface watched a show called The Glades and the final episode of that ended totally gay. it was a cliffhanger and when the writers were asked what happened to the guy shot on the floor, they had no answer.
Hahaha I only watched that because my wife watched it.

Actually the show got cancelled after the Cliffhanger and everyone was pissed.

Dexter is something else man. There's shit endings and then there's the stuff at the bottom of the toilet that those pieces of shit had shat into. That's Dexter.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

dany operates in shades of grey and that's fine if she and the people around her are aware of it. i mean, ned being UNWILLING to operate in any gray areas is basically what started this whole thing. but like mist pointed out, everything happening in essos is almost through the lens of people who love her, so everything she does is absolutely justified regardless of the fallout that would ACTUALLY occur (and probably has in mereen. if you kill the people in power, the power doesn't just spread around evenly. it creates a vacuum and creates more violence from people scrambling to fill that void before someone else does).
Why do people say that?
Ned obstinately trying to protect women and children is what started this whole thing, not Ned unwilling to operate in gray areas.

Ned, took a hit to his honor and vows to protect Jon snow. Grey area, in the name of protecting a child.
Argued against killing Dany as a child.
Ned went against the laws, customs, etc to attempt to protect Circe and her children from Robert, due to Circes treason. Grey area, where he was clearly in the wrong, in the name of protecting children. THAT got him killed, and that started this. He tried to offer shelter and a way out to someone that committed the highest of treason... how is that not willing to operate in a gray area? arguably "operating in a grey area" by not killing the treasonous whore immediately, was his biggest mistake.
Ned then sullied his own good name, by pleading guilty to treason that he didnt do, in the name of protecting his children..

Protecting children was his only "flaw". He was just fine with many other grey areas, breaking tradition, breaking vows, laws, etc as needed.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I suspect I know the turbo-gay reason they made Cersei and Jamie die how they did...

The castle. The weight of the castle both figuratively and literally crushed them.

Artists are so insufferable with this trash. Sacrificed a satisfying moment for something maybe 10% of the viewing population will even notice.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user