Gotham

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm pretty sure they're going to use Fish as the character Penguin kills to make him go full-on villain. At the moment he is somewhat likable and this most recent episode they've already showed his transformation to irrational villain by killing the guy for boo'ing his mom.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
haha yeah.

I've gone back and forth on her. At the start, mary sue original character seemed bizarre to have so much focus on her. its like Chloe from Smallville. you made your original character the MAIN character for a beloved franchise. why do people keep doing that?
That said, I think she did work well, and it was going well overall.
Last few episodes however. seriously, she should be out of the picture right now. why the fuck are we STILL focusing on her? Is Gotham about her rise to power? Its bizarre. it would have made way more sense to have her off the show for a while, and come back. Like Arrow does with Merlin, etc.

Fish was probably created to get fed to Cobblepot. Either she demanded more screen time, or they just like her, or they think the audience does, aka Jesse in Breaking bad not dieing.
I don't mind if she stays around, but seriously, stop making her the main character.
i just imagine if Red or Andy in shawshank redemption started making demands on the warden and the results of those demands. both would have gotten a billyclub/shotgun blast to the face. i kept expecting/hoping they would do that with Fish in this episode. nope, dude just bargains with her like she runs the place. and i am asking myself, why am i watching this shit. is my love of batman worth this torture? sadly it still is. though i dunno how much longer that will last. i feel like they are giving her cobblepot's story arc while making him run the nightclub.

Tenks

Yeah I was asking my wife why wouldn't they just come down with riot gear and bats and beat the shit out of people while fighting to Fish. It made no damn sense. Not to mention the entire population apparently hasn't had a proper meal or a good night's sleep in forever. Seems pretty easy to just beat them down.

Ganthorn

N00b
I think her story would have made a lot more sense if she organized them to rush and overwhelm the guys. Obviously we don't know how many people are outside this area but they could easily overpower the guys that came down as a swarm and then at least try to make a break for it. The guys in charge had gun so they could have even just fallen back then shot her from the bars since she is the thing to bring them together.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i was mainly talking about the voice inflections, not so much the facial expression, still it reminded me of ledger.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
For as big of a Batman fan as I am, this show is getting harder and harder for me to watch. Even when it was a little slower at the beginning, I had an interest in watching just to see how they explored pre-Batman Gotham. As the show goes on, it's just getting more ridiculous and lazy. Snake finds Joker's mom? Lee guilt trips Gordon into letting her sit in on an interrogation because if he didn't, he's somehow a misogynist who just wants a kept woman? Zsasz now can turn people into dancing monkeys? Fish is Spartacus?

The whole blind psychic thing was just completely convoluted. He voluntarily goes to Gordon and leads him to the murder weapon because..? Neither he nor Joker Jr. were suspects at that point. Hell, Joker Jr. is the one who leads them to suspect his mother is missing when it would've been easy to just convince Gordon she was boozing it up somewhere and let Circus Justice do its thing. And psychic powers must be catching considering how Gordon just suddenly figures out the psychic is the father, he set all of this up to protect his son, and Joker Jr. is the killer with no evidence to back any of that up.

And for all the hyping they've done for Joker, this was it? There was all that talk about how they were going to leave little Easter Eggs to make us suspect a different person as Joker every week (which, for the most part, doesn't seem to have ever materialized). He wasn't supposed to even appear this season, but like the little kid who insists on being every character when you play superheroes, they couldn't resist bumping that up so apparently every Batman villain can be featured in the first season and he got all of what? five minutes of screen time. They spend all season giving us Riddler's Guide to Picking Up Women, and barely an episode is devoted to Joker's... not even sure you can call that an origin considering he's already cracked. It was just such a waste of a character, and I really hope it turns out this was a red herring and that wasn't really the Joker, though that'd mean wasting a good actor who could convincingly pull the character off.

But even worse than this was Fish as usual. She's taken over her prison, which doesn't seem to be much of a feat considering it's run by the most milquetoast guards imaginable. I mean, why didn't they do us all a favor and put a bullet in her head? Why give into her demands? Why does everyone just seem to do whatever Fish says? I'm quickly becoming convinced that the only way her character makes any sort of sense is if she's somehow tapped into an early version of Poison Ivy's pheromones. Although, the more likely scenario is she is just the personification of plot contrivance.

And to round it all out, Barbara is back (for some reason), doesn't seem to mind two squatters being in her house (for some reason), and has decided to win Jim back after leaving him (for some reason). And she walks in right on time to see Jim and Lee at their favorite make-out spot, because apparently anyone can walk into the men's locker room at the GCPD. Barbara is easily the worst written character on the show, but they could've at least done a little explaining on what she was doing at Mommy and Daddy's and why she's returned to Gotham aside from forcing a love triangle into the show. (It'd be great if this was the launching point of turning Barbara into a villain, but that'd require them actually doing something creative with the characters.)

For a while, the show seemed to be improving as the various storylines started to converge. Now they've driven everything back apart so that no part of the show has any connection to any other part. It's like five or six separate storylines all running parallel, which means no one storyline has time to develop in any meaningful way. They just jump from one point to the other without feeling the need to explain anything. And they're so caught up in villain reveals that it's quickly becoming repetitive and losing its impact. It's like they just don't know what they want to do with this show, so they are throwing every single thing they can think of at it all at once in the hopes that some semblance of quality shakes out.

Perhaps things will change by the end of the season, but it's frustrating to see them doing so little with all of the lore they've been lucky to have been handed.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
For as big of a Batman fan as I am, this show is getting harder and harder for me to watch. Even when it was a little slower at the beginning, I had an interest in watching just to see how they explored pre-Batman Gotham. As the show goes on, it's just getting more ridiculous and lazy. Snake finds Joker's mom? Lee guilt trips Gordon into letting her sit in on an interrogation because if he didn't, he's somehow a misogynist who just wants a kept woman? Zsasz now can turn people into dancing monkeys? Fish is Spartacus?

The whole blind psychic thing was just completely convoluted. He voluntarily goes to Gordon and leads him to the murder weapon because..? Neither he nor Joker Jr. were suspects at that point. Hell, Joker Jr. is the one who leads them to suspect his mother is missing when it would've been easy to just convince Gordon she was boozing it up somewhere and let Circus Justice do its thing. And psychic powers must be catching considering how Gordon just suddenly figures out the psychic is the father, he set all of this up to protect his son, and Joker Jr. is the killer with no evidence to back any of that up.

And for all the hyping they've done for Joker, this was it? There was all that talk about how they were going to leave little Easter Eggs to make us suspect a different person as Joker every week (which, for the most part, doesn't seem to have ever materialized). He wasn't supposed to even appear this season, but like the little kid who insists on being every character when you play superheroes, they couldn't resist bumping that up so apparently every Batman villain can be featured in the first season and he got all of what? five minutes of screen time. They spend all season giving us Riddler's Guide to Picking Up Women, and barely an episode is devoted to Joker's... not even sure you can call that an origin considering he's already cracked. It was just such a waste of a character, and I really hope it turns out this was a red herring and that wasn't really the Joker, though that'd mean wasting a good actor who could convincingly pull the character off.

But even worse than this was Fish as usual. She's taken over her prison, which doesn't seem to be much of a feat considering it's run by the most milquetoast guards imaginable. I mean, why didn't they do us all a favor and put a bullet in her head? Why give into her demands? Why does everyone just seem to do whatever Fish says? I'm quickly becoming convinced that the only way her character makes any sort of sense is if she's somehow tapped into an early version of Poison Ivy's pheromones. Although, the more likely scenario is she is just the personification of plot contrivance.

And to round it all out, Barbara is back (for some reason), doesn't seem to mind two squatters being in her house (for some reason), and has decided to win Jim back after leaving him (for some reason). And she walks in right on time to see Jim and Lee at their favorite make-out spot, because apparently anyone can walk into the men's locker room at the GCPD. Barbara is easily the worst written character on the show, but they could've at least done a little explaining on what she was doing at Mommy and Daddy's and why she's returned to Gotham aside from forcing a love triangle into the show. (It'd be great if this was the launching point of turning Barbara into a villain, but that'd require them actually doing something creative with the characters.)

For a while, the show seemed to be improving as the various storylines started to converge. Now they've driven everything back apart so that no part of the show has any connection to any other part. It's like five or six separate storylines all running parallel, which means no one storyline has time to develop in any meaningful way. They just jump from one point to the other without feeling the need to explain anything. And they're so caught up in villain reveals that it's quickly becoming repetitive and losing its impact. It's like they just don't know what they want to do with this show, so they are throwing every single thing they can think of at it all at once in the hopes that some semblance of quality shakes out.

Perhaps things will change by the end of the season, but it's frustrating to see them doing so little with all of the lore they've been lucky to have been handed.
pretty much all this. the show is mostly incoherent now. too much tinkering with too many chefs in the kitchen. they went to the trouble of finding a house and actors to play barbara's parents and after that one scene are never referenced again. ditto for the internal affairs duo.

dechire

I really don't understand the hate for this show. Other than Fish and a moderate annoyance with Catwoman I really enjoy Gotham. It's no more "hammy" or poorly written than Arrow, Flash or Smallville. It feels like the Nolan universe and that works really well for me. On the scale of Comic show this ranks first followed by Flash, Constantine et cetera ending with TWD for me.

As for Ian as the Joker I think he's easily the 3rd best ive seen on film\tv. The more time he spends as the joker the better he will get.

/shrug

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
Well they are all complaining but if you notice they are still watching week to week!

Personally I'm enjoying it, and I think the kid did a good job as the Joker especially with such big shoes to fill in that role.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Well they are all complaining but if you notice they are still watching week to week!

Personally I'm enjoying it, and I think the kid did a good job as the Joker especially with such big shoes to fill in that role.
well, to be fair, the shit they get right is what keeps me watching, but the shit they get wrong is starting to get out of control.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
They cock teased us with Fish being gone.. instead we get more of her.
frown.png

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
The writing on this show is still terrible. Most of the episode was on Gordon's relationship and the average person watching this doesn't care.

Tenks

The writing on this show is still terrible. Most of the episode was on Gordon's relationship and the average person watching this doesn't care.
I don't know about that. My wife cares about that storyline. Pretty much because she hates Barbara and loves the Firefly girl.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Did everyone forget the fact that Fish and "family" are being used for transpants? that's their value and leverage, and whomever is in charge does not want to damage the product, although whomever is in charge of the prison needs to set them straight on who's really in charge, that means a bullet to Fish's head, have little hope for that though. Having said that, that part of the show is retarded, and Fish's part in the show should have lasted up until Penguin took her place.

Why the fuck did they bring Barbara back, and with no explanation of why she came back to town so soon, for Gordon obviously but give it some time first?. Should have wrote her ass out for a year.

Other than that I don't hate the show, just those two characters, but Arrow and Flash are still better.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the organ harvesting plot might be the same plan as we saw when they were luring in the homeless children. the collector might be behind it and i dunno if we have met him yet.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
It will probably also tie into the Arkham subplot, as an asylum would be another place you could collect up body parts of people nobody would miss. Like the homeless crazy people and criminals...