Gravity (2013)

Gask

Silver Baron of the Realm
It was of course not "forgone conclusion" that Apollo 13 will make it back to earth, right?
I bet my lunch money you also watch Titanic every other year thinking: Maybe they will miss the iceberg this time, so i can enjoy the fully fleshed out characters plus love story in it, even more.
You'll need to skip a lunch I guess. My point was that not a single character was developed in any meaningful way throughout the course of the film which left me feeling detached and somewhat bored towards the whole situation. Lacking any exposition Bullock amounted to a not much more than a rather tenacious piece of driftwood... in space.

Thankfully neither Apollo 13 nor Titanic were over 1 1/2 hours of non stop malfunction / berg which is the problem I have with Gravity. In a film with an engrossing story you can lose yourself in the narrative and suspend the voice in your head that says "yeah they will be just fine, whatever" yawn. Gravity instead shot for pure adrenaline to attempt the same thing which burned out quickly for me and some others after the first explosion. Anyway, everyone has different tastes towards these things.

Gask

Silver Baron of the Realm
biggrin.png

It was okay, it had that 90's action vibe nostalgia going for it and at least an attempt at a story. But yeah I didn't like that whole: lets turn this level into swiss cheese!! moment (I have no soul I guess
tongue.png
) . YMMV

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I just got back from finally seeing this. I enjoyed it, didn't think it was as awesome as everyone made it out to be but It had my interest the whole movie.

Also....Sandra Bullock is amazingly hot, holy shit.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
She trained for that part like half a year / 9 month or whatnot and it clearly showed. I was just kind' annoyed on her eyes, they looked fresh outta eye lid lifting surgery or something.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Gask and Fury must scissor relentlessly together as they read this thread and peeps reactions, confirmed fags.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Finally saw this. Loved it. IMO best movie this year.

I sea the cynics and haters in this thread and that's fine, it's a unique movie.

The technical aspect is amazing, as has been mentioned, but beyond that, I really loved how simplistic yet powerful the movie was. The whole movie was similar to the acclaimed intro to Wall-E. The score was great and the movie was paced well.

The common complaint is "lack of story" yet just because there were only 2 actors in the entire movie doesn't mean it lacked story. Sure, it doesn't have the branching story arcs like some fanatasy epic, but there was story nonetheless. To me the story wasn't even about the actual characters or the possible nightmares of space. The greater story was simply about life and our planet. Gravity and how it's taken for granted. After watching the first 85 minutes of the film, when those final scenes were displayed and we finally saw "Gravity", I actually felt the weight of it. It was unique in that to finally experience gravity - which we just accept everyday - I had to first experience weightlessness for 85 minutes.

Beyond that, it did hash out the generic story of life & death. Being afraid of death, accepting death, evaluating life, and the human desire to live. These have been told countless times in countless ways. But all movies rehash the same concepts and I can't fault this movie just because it tells the same story we've seen before.

The other smaller bits are the hypotheticals. The what-ifs of space and the affects on earth. A satellite apocalypse is most likely a real fear for space agencies, yet the consequences would affect so many more people.

The only gripe I had with the film were a few bad(annoying) acting bits by Bullock. The "I don't know what to do!" reminded me of her debut in the movie Speed.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Finally saw this. Loved it. IMO best movie this year.

I sea the cynics and haters in this thread and that's fine, it's a unique movie.

The technical aspect is amazing, as has been mentioned, but beyond that, I really loved how simplistic yet powerful the movie was. The whole movie was similar to the acclaimed intro to Wall-E. The score was great and the movie was paced well.

The common complaint is "lack of story" yet just because there were only 2 actors in the entire movie doesn't mean it lacked story. Sure, it doesn't have the branching story arcs like some fanatasy epic, but there was story nonetheless. To me the story wasn't even about the actual characters or the possible nightmares of space. The greater story was simply about life and our planet. Gravity and how it's taken for granted. After watching the first 85 minutes of the film, when those final scenes were displayed and we finally saw "Gravity", I actually felt the weight of it. It was unique in that to finally experience gravity - which we just accept everyday - I had to first experience weightlessness for 85 minutes.

Beyond that, it did hash out the generic story of life & death. Being afraid of death, accepting death, evaluating life, and the human desire to live. These have been told countless times in countless ways. But all movies rehash the same concepts and I can't fault this movie just because it tells the same story we've seen before.

The other smaller bits are the hypotheticals. The what-ifs of space and the affects on earth. A satellite apocalypse is most likely a real fear for space agencies, yet the consequences would affect so many more people.

The only gripe I had with the film were a few bad(annoying) acting bits by Bullock. The "I don't know what to do!" reminded me of her debut in the movie Speed.
eh, this movie suffered horribly from really poor dialogue. i mean, it was total hollywood cheese and didn't belong. the lame stories told by george clooney over and over to try and make him come off as the salty veteran were completely unnecessary and cliche. same with the stereotypical indian making corny one liners. it just felt fake. had the dialogue between bullock and clooney not been so phoned in and hackey, it would have made the movie a lot better. special effects were outstanding. some of the scenes were truly unforgettable, but couldn't get past the keeanu reeves bad lines being delivered by clooney.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i have heard much worse dialogue from films hailed as classics. you and the red letter media guys are being way too harsh on it when its not a problem and the dialogue has very little to do with the film since like 90% of the story was visual. you could have had no dialogue and you still would have been able to follow the movie with no problem.

Szlia

I am seriously considering making a trip to Paris France to watch it in 4K and Dolby Atmos. Anyone here saw it in Atmos?

iannis

Musty Nester
Bro, they dont like dissent around these parts.

Actually, the more I think about this movie, the less I like it. I was mesmerized by the spectacle and cinematographyand basically blocked out everything else. But a visual spectacle alone can't carry a movie.

As does....

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
This movie was visually stunning. However, every other aspect of the movie was terrible. How has no one mentioned this?

Juvarisx

Florida
Because you didn't read the thread? Anyways it was mainly the dialogue people had issue with, well the fire extinguisher as well but whatever.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
This movie was visually stunning. However, every other aspect of the movie was terrible. How has no one mentioned this?
um, i pretty much said this just a few posts above. it was overrated, but most people these days don't care about things like plot or dialogue, so we get a shit ton of movies like this one, which is just eye candy for the brain dead masses.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Walking out of the theater I told my wife that the movie would probably suck on DVD/Bluray. The main draw for this movie was the theater experience. Seeing it in Imax 3d with sound so loud/deep it shook the seats was an incredibly intense experience.