Gravy's Cooking Thread

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Yeah, I don't know about that steam thing. For me the cooking process should add a specific flavor to whatever it is you are cooking. I guess I steam rice, but I think that's about it. Actually I don't even steam the rice, I use a microwave rice cooker. So fucking easy, and if you wash/rinse the rice beforehand, it comes out beautifully in 12 minutes.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
In specific dishes I guess that would be pretty useful, but as the only thing I really steam is rice, I personally don't see the usefulness overall. Especially being a special machine -just- for steaming. Easy to pop shit in and have it steamed? Sure. How often are you steaming shit? That looks like pretty standard plastic architecture, would it maintain the steamed dish's odor after use? What is the energy draw compared to normal pan/pot based steaming? Is it pure occasional convenience? These are the questions that keep me up at night(in regards to specialized cooking equipment). Actually they don't keep me up, I just go "I already have tools that adequately steam product in the case of steaming being a necessary function." and forget entirely about it.

I've never actually tried to microwave rice. Since rice being cooked doesn't really rely on specific directional heat, I suppose that would be pretty easy to do in a mic. Any specific rice-device you would recommend?

The Master

Bronze Squire
Steamers are pretty easy to hack together. Perforated pie tins, pastry cutters, pot with water is an easy example. I've made huge ones out of disposable aluminum chafing dishes, for when I've helped cater dances. Not really something you need a dedicated device for.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I like the thing. I bought a rice cooker 8 years ago and use it multiple times a week usually. Maybe I am just the odd duck about it. I really like being able to steam Pelmeni/Dumplings with zero hassle as I make/eat a lot of them. But vegetables, fish, seafood I really like to be able to steam.

The one I bought was $20, just like my 8 year old rice cooker. So I expect I'll get equal mileage out of it.

EDIT: Split Pea and Barley with Ham soup turned out awesome. Just ended up with a TON of it. Had to freeze like half. One more recipe for my arsenal.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I've never actually tried to microwave rice. Since rice being cooked doesn't really rely on specific directional heat, I suppose that would be pretty easy to do in a mic. Any specific rice-device you would recommend?
Attachment 108113

This is very similar to what we have. It was given to us at Christmas, but I can't think it's much more than $10.

Directions:
http://steamykitchen.com/22048-how-t...ce-recipe.html

tl;dr Directions:

1. Put as much rice as you want in the cooker after rinsing it several times. I generally use at least a cup.
2. Put as much water in the container so that the level of the water is 1" above the level of the top of the rice.
3. Microwave for 9 minutes on full power. Let rest for three.
4. Profit. I've used this cooker about 4-5 times now, and the rice comes out great, way better than I can do in a pot.

PS Someone tell me how to put a link in a post and have the name of the page be the link?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Use the link option when making the post (don't just copy/paste the link) and the stuff that isn't in quotation marks can be edited to show whatever. Likethis.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Looks great, Chuk. I clogged three arteries just looking at the pics, but yep, I'd eat one.

I cooked Abe's green curry tonight, and damn it was really good. I thought the thai chilies were going to be too hot, but they weren't at all, I'll probably add more next time. +1

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Looks great, Chuk. I clogged three arteries just looking at the pics, but yep, I'd eat one.

I cooked Abe's green curry tonight, and damn it was really good. I thought the thai chilies were going to be too hot, but they weren't at all, I'll probably add more next time. +1
i questioned my use of so much bacon, but i havent had bacon in a few weeks so i figured what the hell.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

If you want it hotter, just stir fry the paste longer in oil before you add the coconut milk. I'm sure someone here will explain why this happens cause science bitch!

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dude. DUDE... You need to mash the shit out of those tomatillos, and then use the as part of a base for slow-cooking some chicken. Tomatoes, Tomtatillos, Cilantro, Lime Juice (or limes. BE BOLD.) and let it do its thing for like 3-4 hours. It will come out magical.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
i questioned my use of so much bacon, but i havent had bacon in a few weeks so i figured what the hell.
The tomatoes finally got ripe in my Mom's garden which means I'm going on an all-BLT diet for the next week. My arteries will have to deal with it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The tomatoes finally got ripe in my Mom's garden which means I'm going on an all-BLT diet for the next week. My arteries will have to deal with it.
Yeah, we've been in full-on BLT mode for a couple weeks now with fresh tomatoes from our garden

Do this with your bacon
How to Make a Bacon Weave for the World's Best BLT | Food Wine

(the host is an annoying douche, but the method works, and it's great. I put 2 weaves on my sandwich with the tomato and lettuce in-between)

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Going to souse me a turkey in a few weeks to make sure my technique is ready for Thanksgiving. Who else is doing that for Thanksgiving?