Gravy's Cooking Thread

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Damn. Now I want brisket.

On a different note, anyone have the soda-making thingie? The stuff you can carbonate water and such with? We're thinking of getting one, but wanted to hear what you folks think.

We have a sodastream. It's fine. Had it for years and works like a champ. We just don't drink alot of soda so it mainly only comes out for parties and shit.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Amazon.com: Sodastream 60L Co2 Carbonator, 14.5oz, Set of 2: Kitchen & Dining

The way I did the math was, that thing will make 240 bottles for basically 70 bucks, at the time I priced it I thought it was more but can't remember. The water I buy is 5.69 for a 12 pack of 1 liter bottles at Wegman's. So, if you're only doing carbonated water and you only drink the kind I drink (which is the correct decision) then it isn't worth the money. If you plan on doing other stuff though like homemade soda or whatever, it would be.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If you are going to get a sodastream, get a CO2 mod and fill up your tanks at a paintball place. You can get 5 gallons of RO water from outside of a lot of grocery stores and gas stations for $1 or $1.25. The majority of Sodastream syrups taste like sous vide cat shit. Pass on that and buy from amazon or if you know someone with a business the real shit. All these things are if you actually want to save money and drink a lot of soda. If not. Just get the thing and still buy real syrups cause it is kind of fun and you can choose the level or carbonation you want. Can also carbonate booze like vodka to impress the old lady and watch her panties drop. It works as advertised.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Seriously though. If you are cooking anything from rice to a stew, or just making coffee. Stop using shitty fucking tap water like I know some of you lazy asses are doing.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I am using tap water with a pur filter. What advantages would this RO filtration give me?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I think my tap water is from the Everglades.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
We here in Detroit have pretty good water. I had it tested for my beer brewing, and surprisingly its pretty fucking good. It still has the usual chlorine levels and flouride, but thats common shit for tap. Other than that its great water.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
There's a lot to discuss in this post, so I'll break it down.

If you are going to get a sodastream, get a CO2 mod and fill up your tanks at a paintball place.

Others have told me the same, and we have a place near by that can do it on the cheap. That's a plus.

You can get 5 gallons of RO water from outside of a lot of grocery stores and gas stations for $1 or $1.25.

I have an RO filter already, and our water comes from a very good well. We have great water. And I like carbonated water with dinner, and it's expensive to buy, so this might be a good thing for us. We don't drink much pop - we buy it for when other people come over, none of the kids like it, and my wife and I have never liked it. This is more for carbonated water for gin or vodka or just fizzy water.

The majority of Sodastream syrups taste like sous vide cat shit.

Can you provide a recipe for sous vide cat shit? This sounds delectable.

Pass on that and buy from amazon or if you know someone with a business the real shit. All these things are if you actually want to save money and drink a lot of soda. If not. Just get the thing and still buy real syrups cause it is kind of fun and you can choose the level or carbonation you want. Can also carbonate booze like vodka to impress the old lady and watch her panties drop. It works as advertised.

Carbonated vodka as a pantie remover. Check. This is good advice!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I would consider getting one of those just for the cocktail aspect. I really dig making cocktails at home and making sure you have ginger beer, tonic water, and club soda on hand all the time sucks.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Just a heads up. Nitrogen infused cold brew coffee is excellent. Co2 infused cold brewed coffee is fucking HORRIBLE.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users