Gravy's Cooking Thread

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Made Mac and Cheese with sodium Citrate for the first time this weekend. I am never going back to a fucking bechamel version ever again. It's god tier, life changing, mind blowing ooey gooey goodness.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
As an emulsifier. Works awesome for cheese sauces or thick/creamy soups.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
What difference does that chemical make in the final dish?

What Soygen said. It's just pure cheese flavor and the best part when you reheat it, it goes back to being just like it was before instead of that stuck together block when you do it the bechamel way. It also gives you the ability to use any damn cheese you want instead of being confined to cheese that melt good.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
What Soygen said. It's just pure cheese flavor and the best part when you reheat it, it goes back to being just like it was before instead of that stuck together block when you do it the bechamel way. It also gives you the ability to use any damn cheese you want instead of being confined to cheese that melt good.
Point me to a recipe

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>

The only silky smooth mac and cheese I'll ever need

kraft-dinner-kd.jpg

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I love that boxed stuff. Can't get the trailer-park programming out of me.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
When I started college I had like $1500 in startup money (was living in an apartment since the school I went to didn't have dorms). When I got there, the water pump went out in my car like the first day I was there and cost $600 to fix, and the first/last month's rent pretty much ate up the rest of it so I was broke as fuck until I could get a job and that took me like 6 weeks to do. My roommate and I went to the grocery store and the store-brand mac and cheese was on clearance for 8 boxes for a dollar. I bought two cases of 48 boxes for $12 and lived on nothing but store-brand box mac and cheese for a month. One box for lunch, one for dinner. I didn't have milk or butter so it was just noodles and cheese powder. I had like 24 boxes left when I finally got my first paycheck and I threw them all in the trash. It was a good 2 years before I could stand the sight of any mac and cheese and 5 years before I would even consider the powdered cheese stuff. Now though, even I can appreciate the occasional shitty box mac and cheese, but only Kraft, no store brand.

Definitely going to try the chemistry mac and cheese though.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Mine is based on this with my personal changes. Modern Baked Mac and Cheese With Cheddar and Gruyère Recipe

I use a whole box of elbow macoroni like a normal person unlike that modernist cuisine portion bullshit. Preheat oven to 400 degrees(murica fuck yah degrees). 3 cups of whole milk with between 20 to 25g of sodium citrate. The amount you need depends on what kind of cheese you use. Start with 20 and add from there. Add 2T of hot sauce and half a teaspoon of mustard powder to the liquid. Around 2 and a half pounds of whatever cheese blend you want. Bring the milk and citrate to almost a simmer and slowly add the shredded cheese. DO NOT use pre shredded under any circumstance.

The best pot to use is cast iron under a low medium heat. Keep whisking as you add the cheese and just eyeball it for consistancy. You also might want to use an immersion blender to mix the cheese. If the sauce is breaking add a tad more of sodium citrate. You know better then i do how thick you want your cheese sauce, so stop adding cheese if it's just right with the thickness. Cook your pasta and stop 2 minutes before al dente. Drain pasta and put in your standard 9x13 pyrex or whatever rectangular dish. Poor in cheese sauce and mix together. You most likely wont need all the cheese sauce so you just keep adding till its where you want it. Bonus is you have extra cheese sauce that you can nuke for instant cheese sauce. Put dish uncovered in 400 degree oven for around 10 minutes or when it starts getting all bubbley.

On the side combine 1 cup of panko with 3 T of melted butter. Put in non stick pan and cook until browned. I like doing the topping on the side because you can store it seperate and still have crunchy topping for leftovers instead of getting soggy in the fridge. Take out of oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Serve portion and sprinkle crunchy panko on top. This mac anc cheese reheats like a champ.

400 degree oven
20 to 25g sodium citrate
2 and a half pounds of cheese(not pre shredded)
3 cups milk
3 Tablespoons of butter
1 Cup of panko
9x13 rectangular dish
1 pot to melt cheese
1 non stick pan
2 teaspoons hot sauce
Half teaspoon mustard powder
Optional immersion blender or good blender like vitamix.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Does any pasta hold up for several hours in a crockpot? I'm seriously asking, as I never do anything with pasta in my slowcooker. I feel it would go to mush.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Does any pasta hold up for several hours in a crockpot? I'm seriously asking, as I never do anything with pasta in my slowcooker. I feel it would go to mush.
I just did soy sauce chicken w/ potatoes in my crockpot. Potatoes melted like nuttin, i'm sure any pasta type would become a gooey mess.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
A lot of potlucks around here people bring pasta in a crock pot. Sometimes it's mush, sometimes it isn't. I imagine there's some skill to it but I think it can be done. I'm not talking about cooking it in the slow cooker, just keeping it warm for an hour or two. Any crock pot experts here?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
A lot of potlucks around here people bring pasta in a crock pot. Sometimes it's mush, sometimes it isn't. I imagine there's some skill to it but I think it can be done. I'm not talking about cooking it in the slow cooker, just keeping it warm for an hour or two. Any crock pot experts here?

Cook the pasta in advance and rinse it off so it doesnt stick together and cools down right away. Put in ziploc bag and refrigerate. Have the cheese sauce in the slow cooker and put it on low for the several hours before it is served. 15 minutes before serving take out pasta and mix it in with the hot cheese sauce and you have mac and cheese without mushy pasta. You even have the bread crumbs still crinchy if you did it the way i said in the recipe for people to sprinkle on themselves.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I under cook the pasta if I am going to put it in a big electric roaster or a crock pot; I also always have additional of whatever the sauce is available if it needs moisture/freshening.

Chillz

Bronze Knight of the Realm
What are your favorite min/max dishes?

Minimum effort in time, ingredients and skill level required. Maximum taste, enjoyment and/or substance.

Bonus: Dish doesn't have to be healthy per say, but should contain only fresh ingredients, frozen pizza may not apply.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Naan pizza:
  • naan bread
  • sauce
    • red sauce(homemade in huge batches...does this count against minimum effort?)
    • goat cheese
    • carmelized onions(also made ahead of time)
    • chipotles in adobo sauce(also made ahead of time)
  • Whatever cheese and toppings you want, ham or pepperoni work pretty well.
Hmm, maybe that doesn't fit your question, but in the spirit of the question, I'm not putting in more effort to find one that does.

• 1Like