Gravy's Cooking Thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
flash frozen is good,
japanese get frozen tuna sticks, soak in ziploc with icewater and it's ready

how white boy are you gonna be? do you need spicy mayo? did you get kewpie?
[KEWPIE Official Store] Japanese Mayonnaise, Rich and Creamy Umami Taste, Made In Japan (2 Packs) mix some kewpie and sriracha and thats like white boy spice mayo for rolls

how much variety you want? you gonna have shrimp tempura rolls?
Always have a bottle of Japanese mayo. When I mean white boy it's whether or not I'm going to screw around just making some California rolls, etc. vs trying to get some good raw fish.

I think HEB has some pretty decent pretty decent frozen tuna, was thinking about getting at least a lobster tail and steaming that, and maybe some snow crab or king crab. Thought about doing tempora shrimp for some good fresh jumbo gulf.

I figured for salmon I might just do a little bit of smoked because she likes it. Was going to get a piece of wagyu filet, thin slice it and then torch it on top. Probably have some jalapenos, daikon, cucumber, avocado, pick up a ton of some type of fish roe.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Always have a bottle of Japanese mayo. When I mean white boy it's whether or not I'm going to screw around just making some California rolls, etc. vs trying to get some good raw fish.

I think HEB has some pretty decent pretty decent frozen tuna, was thinking about getting at least a lobster tail and steaming that, and maybe some snow crab or king crab. Thought about doing tempora shrimp for some good fresh jumbo gulf.

I figured for salmon I might just do a little bit of smoked because she likes it. Was going to get a piece of wagyu filet, thin slice it and then torch it on top. Probably have some jalapenos, daikon, cucumber, avocado, pick up a ton of some type of fish roe.
sounds like success your only failure point would be no rice cooker

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
sounds like success your only failure point would be no rice cooker
Got an instapot we got on sale phone number of years ago that I've only used maybe twice. I think some one the other day asked about using one and the response seem to be favorable.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Polish mayo is the best. I grew up there until like age of 9, but when I went back when I was 18 I literally smuggled like 3 jars of the shit in my luggage home because it was that good.

YOu can now get this on Amazon, but lol at the price. Maybe worth?

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Polish mayo is the best. I grew up there until like age of 9, but when I went back when I was 18 I literally smuggled like 3 jars of the shit in my luggage home because it was that good.

YOu can now get this on Amazon, but lol at the price. Maybe worth?

What makes it different? The Amazon link didn't come through.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
d7664ee6064c9f903cfd706f4289b8c5.png

you mean making nigiri instead of rolls?

i mean sure, besides being annoying and squeezing the rice, you don't really get to play around in adding stuff like you would roll
(since you said youre both doing it together, imo rolls would be better)

your wife doesn't sound like a bitch, if shes able to stand your inability to plate a decent dish, so if you really mesh up just make a poke bowl

• 1Worf

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
d7664ee6064c9f903cfd706f4289b8c5.png

you mean making nigiri instead of rolls?

i mean sure, besides being annoying and squeezing the rice, you don't really get to play around in adding stuff like you would roll
(since you said youre both doing it together, imo rolls would be better)

your wife doesn't sound like a bitch, if shes able to stand your inability to plate a decent dish, so if you really mesh up just make a poke bowl
Not nigiri necessarily but you can have rolls that have raw fish.

I don't think it'll be that big of a deal when I've got enough variety sort of planned. Again ever made it at home, figured at least I just asked whether or not there was something to pay attention to or what specific raw fish that I could get from an easier place if I wanted to make something with it.

Don't think any cooked type roll will be a problem whatsoever now that I've got Rice coming in.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
So what the hell is the purpose of me using a rice cooker versus just being able to deftly cook rice in a damn pot? Am I going to notice a big difference, or is it because it's going to stay fresher longer or something?

Had a Vietnamese roommate that I was friends with in high school and lived with me in college for a couple of years, that fucker kept a rice pot in his bedroom, and there's no way I would have eaten anything out of it. I was okay at cooking at the time but he didn't know a goddamn thing about food safety, it's one of the reasons he ended up leaving our group. I have some stories.

What's the actual benefit other than prolonging fresh rice? If you get your ratios, rinse the starch, monitor it while it's boiling, am I really going to detect that big of a difference?

I don't need rice with every single meal of the day, it's probably because I'm white.

I'm being serious.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So what the hell is the purpose of me using a rice cooker versus just being able to deftly cook rice in a damn pot? Am I going to notice a big difference, or is it because it's going to stay fresher longer or something?

Had a Vietnamese roommate that I was friends with in high school and lived with me in college for a couple of years, that fucker kept a rice pot in his bedroom, and there's no way I would have eaten anything out of it. I was okay at cooking at the time but he didn't know a goddamn thing about food safety, it's one of the reasons he ended up leaving our group. I have some stories.

What's the actual benefit other than prolonging fresh rice? If you get your ratios, rinse the starch, monitor it while it's boiling, am I really going to detect that big of a difference?

I don't need rice with every single meal of the day, it's probably because I'm white.

I'm being serious.

If you use a rice cooker you never have to worry about ending up in an Uncle Roger video

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
If you use a rice cooker you never have to worry about ending up in an Uncle Roger video
God damn, well I know my answer now, because I would never want to lose sleep over that.

If I'm not mistaken though I think that guy is just a comedian and he makes those videos because he's grifting off YouTube. Gas technique might be good but he's not a chef, and I think he's just doing it to fuck with people.

He talks as white as anybody else.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
So my mother-in-law sometimes gives us weird sauces, etc. and usually I can figure out something to do with them within my limited cooking ability, but I’m stumped on the latest one.
IMG_7730.jpeg
What the fuck do I do with this Buffalo style vinegar? Any ideas?

• 1Like

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
I hate rice. Won't eat it. Won't eat anything with rice in it.

I feel the same way about peas.

• 2Supertaster
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So my mother-in-law sometimes gives us weird sauces, etc. and usually I can figure out something to do with them within my limited cooking ability, but I’m stumped on the latest one.
View attachment 514521
What does it taste like?

You could combine it with blue cheese dressing as a dip for chicken wings(just missed the super bowl!).
The vinegar component in a vinaigrette for a chicken chef's salad.
Use it to spike your mother-in-law's coffee.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
View attachment 514521
Make wings like a man. Double fried my friend. If it's pretty tasty you could do just a light splash on an ultra fried wing, but not a heavy sauce but just a drizzle.

Add it to your dipping your sauce. Another option is you could do some really good crispy fried chicken breast or thighs, and follow that type of karage method. Throw some blue cheese, and whip up a vinaigrette with it. Whip a couple of teaspoons into a mayonnaise, you probably be tasty.

I'm honestly really interested in what you can possibly do with it. Let me know what you can do with it, or if it's a specific brand take a picture and post it.

Last edited: