Gravy's Cooking Thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
i'm pretty sure i remember the first episode, alton was like, "this iron chef america is totally legit, we even have the chairman's nephew"
That's right he did host all of the iron Chef America stuff.

I used to do when I had cable could sit and watch hours of iron Chef marathons on food Network. Specifically the old Japanese one. I was out of just so fascinating how those guys could sit and take whatever ingredient and make four or five dishes out of it no sweat.

I know but Asian version was pretty cool because it was typically a lot of ingredients and methods that I just wasn't familiar with. The American version of the show is fantastic, and I'm kind of up in the air and whether or not I'm rooting for the iron Chef or some up and coming chef.

I remember a very specific episode of the old Japanese version where this guy was an Italian chef but he's won all of these pasta making awards and apparently his family for generations is one of them as well, and he was fighting iron Chef China, and he absolutely beat the hell out of him, and I think the mystery ingredient was porcini mushrooms. When the guy want to make his pasta do heat it up pulling out liquid nitrogen to cool it somehow during the dough making process. It was pretty mind-blowing.

Such a great show, better than watching some stupid Star Wars or Marvel deal.

Siliconemelons

Attention all Cowboy Kent fans. He is on the newly released third season of BBQ Showdown on Netflix. Already enjoyed the show, but happy to see him back on another challenge.

Yeah was something i was looking forward to, they did beat him up on episode 1 but spoiler- he makes it and does better on 2.

I haven’t watched more, the host lady absolutely triggers me but i push through. I doubt he will win bc the message - but once they start getting to the real strange challenges i wonder how our boy Kent will do… i would think he would be the most exp in flexability

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
…..

I know but Asian version was pretty cool because it was typically a lot of ingredients and methods that I just wasn't familiar with. The American version of the show is fantastic, and I'm kind of up in the air and whether or not I'm rooting for the iron Chef or some up and coming chef….
I’ve watched a few episodes of Iron Chef Brazil lately, they’re on Netflix. Pretty interesting to see the all the different stuff.

The wife and I used to watch a lot of Chopped. It could get a little cheesy but all the talk about usual by random ingredients to try and balance flavor helped me a lot keep that in mind with my own cooking.

Similarly, I came across master chef Australia back in 2015 or something, watched about 4 seasons until they changed out the judges. Liked it a lot more than the US version as there’s zero drama bs between contestants and no “look at me the tough/bad ass judge” type feel. It’s pretty crazy the level those amateurs get to.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I’ve watched a few episodes of Iron Chef Brazil lately, they’re on Netflix. Pretty interesting to see the all the different stuff.

The wife and I used to watch a lot of Chopped. It could get a little cheesy but all the talk about usual by random ingredients to try and balance flavor helped me a lot keep that in mind with my own cooking.

Similarly, I came across master chef Australia back in 2015 or something, watched about 4 seasons until they changed out the judges. Liked it a lot more than the US version as there’s zero drama bs between contestants and no “look at me the tough/bad ass judge” type feel. It’s pretty crazy the level those amateurs get to.
masterchef us is only good cuz of gordon, the faggot bald idiot and the revolving door 3rd super fat judge, or mexican guy bring down the validity of the show

• 1Worf

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
masterchef us is only good cuz of gordon, the faggot bald idiot and the revolving door 3rd super fat judge, or mexican guy bring down the validity of the show
The Mexican guy is Aron Sanchez, yeah? He was one of the judges that rotated through on Chopped, he was ok on that show. The few eps of US Master Chef I've seen he was kind of annoying, I don't remember the bald guy, but the fat one was pretty dumb.

Another big difference is that the Aussie MC is 64 episodes with the shortest runtime, without commercials is 45 minutes. It's a beast of a show.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Joe is a deadpan dickhead the whole season until the final, when he tries to be generous and likeable in front of the families. He's fake and he sucks.

Aaron is fine. Gordon is always great.

The contestants are mostly shitheads to each other though which really drags that show down.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Alright so been using the Nuwave induction burner for a month or so. Overall it's been positive. Temperature control is really really good, and very granular. This makes certain tasks like melting butter, cooking Cacio e Pepe, eggs, etc. super simple.

Downsides are that I can't use the one cheap pan that I really like in it, and that it is definitely doesn't boil water that much faster than my range. That might be because it's a 110 portable cooktop though.

So I think I'm ok going induction next range.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Temperature control is really really good, and very granular. This makes certain tasks like melting butter, cooking Cacio e Pepe, eggs, etc. super simple.
yup, thats why i said using induction for making candles to get precise temps for melting wax/adding in scents

i have the nuwave induction wok, and that boils water as fast as my electric kettle which is faster than my electric range

but which nuwave did you get, there a few weaker models, my induction wok can goto 575

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
yup, thats why i said using induction for making candles to get precise temps for melting wax/adding in scents

i have the nuwave induction wok, and that boils water as fast as my electric kettle which is faster than my electric range

but which nuwave did you get, there a few weaker models, my induction wok can goto 575
It's the gold one, goes to 575. But we've tried small pots boiling for a couple hard-boil eggs and it's fine just not crazy stuff like people claiming you can boil water in 30 seconds. It's a bit faster than electric, but seems slower than gas.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Alright so been using the Nuwave induction burner for a month or so. Overall it's been positive. Temperature control is really really good, and very granular. This makes certain tasks like melting butter, cooking Cacio e Pepe, eggs, etc. super simple.

Downsides are that I can't use the one cheap pan that I really like in it, and that it is definitely doesn't boil water that much faster than my range. That might be because it's a 110 portable cooktop though.

So I think I'm ok going induction next range.
Can you share some photos of whatever you're cooking using it? Sounds really good I just I'm curious as what specifically it is.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Can you share some photos of whatever you're cooking using it? Sounds really good I just I'm curious as what specifically it is.
I dunno, everything? Pasta, chicken, ground beef, veggies, eggs, etc. It's just a burner that's more controllable. So like I can do a batch of scrambled eggs at 175 with a lid and they are extremely fluffy, whereas with regular electric burner you basically just get high heat cycles so they're very temperamental and easy to overcook if that makes sense.

• 2Like

Siliconemelons

Going to try out the triple sear steak method tonight on a little filet...

Hope it goes well, looks interesting. Still up in the air, to use my grill or a normal fry pan.

Sadly I still do not have a charcoal grill... but if I let my big normal grill heat all the way up - I will have plenty of super hot cast iron grate area to do each sear.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Going to try out the triple sear steak method tonight on a little filet...

Hope it goes well, looks interesting. Still up in the air, to use my grill or a normal fry pan.

Sadly I still do not have a charcoal grill... but if I let my big normal grill heat all the way up - I will have plenty of super hot cast iron grate area to do each sear.

I saw that video the other day. It's surprisingly similar to a recipe I was given by a guy who used to run steel stud framing and drywall company. This guy had a jalapeno plant that at the base was literally the size of a small tree. It was his pride of joy and he had been growing it for a couple of decades somehow. Used to bring jars of salsa to my family and I every year. Died of pancreatic cancer maybe about 10 years ago. He was a good dude.

Anyways He ranted and raved about it using Jack Daniels to cook a steak. This may have been a little bit more of a marinade but all of the flavors if I remember are very similar. I have made a couple of times using things like skirt steak or flank steak, or maybe a London broil, haven't always turned out good.

I really think what he's doing though is it's just building up that caramelization on the outside and I know with other recipes that call for like a chicken batter, a lot of the times I put vodka into the wash because it Cooks off differently and quicker, getting you crispier bits.

I guess I'm just kind of torn because that seems like a lot of work to get the same results that you could get if you are just good at cooking a steak to begin with. That's why I think maybe it's about the flavor profile but he's able to accomplish.

It's worth a shot though. If you do it, let us know how the results are, for whatever reason I do it before you I'll do the same.

I'll have to look to see if I still got a scan of that recipe that he had printed off for me. I think I might be an old work laptop or hard drive.

Siliconemelons

So no soy, so I subbed teriaki

It was good… i get the layers of flavors, it is very odd- so, usually when you get layers of flavor its X then Y then a Z aftertaste that fades.

This is like, Y..then X…then YX then Z then ZY then ZYX then X then they all kinda fade. It’s odd…

It would have been better with soy as soy is less of a distinct flavor like teriyaki - ill try it again.

I closed the lid for 1 min of each 2:30 sear… it came out medium vs medium rare- i also sloshed in the sauces for 2:30 and had the lid closed to reheat the grates.

Next time, soy and no closed lid during the sear.

Images are of after each sear flip then rested.

IMG_1507.jpeg

IMG_1508.jpeg

IMG_1509.jpeg

IMG_1510.jpeg

• 1Solidarity

Siliconemelons

i thought i was reading fuego del heaven
lol

Wife apparently used it all when we did Korean BBQ a few weeks ago and we haven't replenished our stock. I told her to turn in her asian card, but she got mad... and we usually use teriyaki not soy for most things, even her mom the full blooded Chinese really uses teriyaki more than soy in her general cooking of things.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
lol

Wife apparently used it all when we did Korean BBQ a few weeks ago and we haven't replenished our stock. I told her to turn in her asian card, but she got mad... and we usually use teriyaki not soy for most things, even her mom the full blooded Chinese really uses teriyaki more than soy in her general cooking of things.
i've never seen a chinese mom use jap ingredients

i mean, maybe she just buys lee kum kee teriyaki sauce
a977ee8be0c72afa82f479c4b5077507.png

but most asians don't mix asian ingredients.

Siliconemelons

Kikkoman Teriyaki

1721087499201.png

I however, have not really paid attention to what she uses for straight soy, but most likely kikkoman - I think its time for some short ribs, and that means a trip to our big asian market :) and that means duck and pork for lunch and the ribs for dinner... mmm

• 1Like