Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Is the curry stuff just a sauce basically out of that pack, and you added the taters and carrots and what have you?

Looks really good. First thing that comes to my mind is just good beef stew, but I guess if it's the Japanese stuff it's got a taste a little bit different, but maybe it doesn't. I don't know I've never had Japanese Curry before.

Enjoy...
it's blocks of curry roux

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
it's blocks of curry roux
What exactly does it taste like? Man I know what Indian curry tastes like, is Japanese a lot different or is it somewhat similar, just called Japanese Curry for some goofy reason?

I've just never had it but if it's easier to use or make I'm all about convenience sometimes. To me it looks like something perfect for cold weather, especially with a bunch of rice.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
What exactly does it taste like? Man I know what Indian curry tastes like, is Japanese a lot different or is it somewhat similar, just called Japanese Curry for some goofy reason?

I've just never had it but if it's easier to use or make I'm all about convenience sometimes. To me it looks like something perfect for cold weather, especially with a bunch of rice.
It’s definitely different than Indian curry. Stole this from the interwebs and it’s a pretty good comparison:

Japanese curry uses curry powder with less spices whereas Indian curry uses a variety of bases such as cumin, paprika, turmeric, and many more. Indian curry is more vibrant and bursting with flavor, while Japanese curry is sumptuous and “umami” but in a more understated manner

• 2Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

Golden curry is perfect for any time of the year. Absolutely delicious.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor

Not sure how to describe but was great, only would want to add some peas maybe like the Indians do

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

I've show a few progress pics where I find I get a saucier curry with the bruntmor or tajine

0529242028_HDR.jpg

all the recipes i've seen it's traditionally potatos/carrots and curry roux, served w/ rice and a tonkatsu pork cutlet on top

• 1Quality Calories
  • 1Like

Siliconemelons

I have Cutco knives, any /real/ reason to not just keep going with Cutco? I get they are kinda mid, but not, but costly, but not... etc.

I have a full mainline set- Chef, Parry, Bread, Cheese, 2x Steak, a long and short serrated and a two prong serving thing poker deal, and the serrated spatula thing?- all in a block.

I want a cleaver and some others - so I am wondering if there are others that are really really better and within the same cost range and worthy enough to break up matching set :)

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I've show a few progress pics where I find I get a saucier curry with the bruntmor or tajine

View attachment 534125

all the recipes i've seen it's traditionally potatos/carrots and curry roux, served w/ rice and a tonkatsu pork cutlet on top
Yeah, looks pretty familiar to dishes I've seen on some of the Japanese restaurant tour videos I'll watch occasionally. Japanese Food Craftsman is pretty good one. I just find it fascinating to watch him how the stuff operates over there. People that run that stuff really have a passion for their work, even if it's just doing yakitory, or frying chicken all day.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I have Cutco knives, any /real/ reason to not just keep going with Cutco? I get they are kinda mid, but not, but costly, but not... etc.

I have a full mainline set- Chef, Parry, Bread, Cheese, 2x Steak, a long and short serrated and a two prong serving thing poker deal, and the serrated spatula thing?- all in a block.

I want a cleaver and some others - so I am wondering if there are others that are really really better and within the same cost range and worthy enough to break up matching set :)
They're not bad knives.

I had gotten a few Cutco knives for Christmas back in college. If I remember correctly, they have a lifetime warranty. They're not bad, but as my knife skills got better, I found i really didn't care for the thinness of the handle on the chefs knife, especially after trying a victorinox. Think I just prefer using something heftier.

I still use the paring, serrated, and extendable filet knife, the filet knife is especially useful.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Chef JP has been doing potato Mondays. I know quite a few of you guys including myself enjoy his recipes. It's funny because my step mom used to make something pretty similar to this for holidays, basically a big twice baked potato casserole. I stopped doing individual twice baked potatoes and just make that instead cuz it seems to be a little less work, you can feed an army, plus the 5 lb bags of smaller russets are easy, set of having a go get Giant football potatoes.