Gravy's Cooking Thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
not really in season atm but you could keep an eye out for fresh instead of frozen.
I used to buy fresh Pearl onion, but cleaning them is a pain in the butt. That's why I started buying the Frozen one I have need of them for a recipe. They're already prepped.

Probably taste different but if you're going to try to fry them, I don't think you're going to get much of a difference between Frozen and fresh.

I just wish I had access to ramps. It's like a wild garlic that is very seasonal, and I've seen people use it on occasions, and I never ever seen it in a store. Might be able to find it on a farmer's market but I don't think it actually grows where I live.

Apparently if it grows in your state, you can go out and just pick it in the forest or whatever, and it's supposed to be delicious.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I used to buy fresh Pearl onion, but cleaning them is a pain in the butt. That's why I started buying the Frozen one I have need of them for a recipe. They're already prepped.

Probably taste different but if you're going to try to fry them, I don't think you're going to get much of a difference between Frozen and fresh.

I just wish I had access to ramps. It's like a wild garlic that is very seasonal, and I've seen people use it on occasions, and I never ever seen it in a store. Might be able to find it on a farmer's market but I don't think it actually grows where I live.

Apparently if it grows in your state, you can go out and just pick it in the forest or whatever, and it's supposed to be delicious.
Lot of ramps near where I live and can find them at my farmer’s market close by. I still need to buy some (or figure out how to identify them and maybe just grab some) and try them out. We’ve tried some bbq sauce using ramps, but definitely need to try them on their own. Everyone loves ramps foraging time around here.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Lot of ramps near where I live and can find them at my farmer’s market close by. I still need to buy some (or figure out how to identify them and maybe just grab some) and try them out. We’ve tried some bbq sauce using ramps, but definitely need to try them on their own. Everyone loves ramps foraging time around here.
Lucky bastard. They're supposed to be extremely delicious, I've never had the opportunity today to eat them. If you have the opportunity, go and learn how to harvest them.

Mario batali used to use them in a lot of Italian dishes that he would make. One of his most favorite ingredients, whipping up some fresh homemade pasta with the ramps, be a great meal for you and your family.

If you harvest some make certain to take photos and show us all what you made out of it. That way I can at least somewhat live vicariously through your culinary efforts....😉

Last edited:
  • 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Lucky bastard. They're supposed to be extremely delicious, I've never had the opportunity today to eat them. If you have the opportunity, go and learn how to harvest them.

Mario batali used to use them in a lot of Italian dishes that he would make. One of his most favorite ingredients, whipping up some fresh homemade pasta with the ramps, be a great meal for you and your family.

If you harvest some make certain to take photos and show us all what you made out of it. That way I can at least somewhat live vicariously through your culinary efforts....😉

Allium tricoccum, a member of the onion family is native to temperate hardwood forests from Canada to north Georgia, and west to Missouri (Jones 1979; Nault and Gagnon 1988; Nault and Gagnon 1993). It grows under a variety of deciduous trees, including American beech (Fagus grandiflora L.), yellow birch (Betula canadensis L.), sugar maple (Acer saccharum L.), black cherry (Prunus serotina L.), American basswood (Tilia glabra Vent.) and tulip poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera L.). These trees form a dense overstory canopy once their leaves are fully developed. The most favored micro-habitats are north to north-east facing slopes with damp, well drained, organic soils. In its southern range, A. tricoccum is found most commonly at elevations between 1070 and 1675 meters above sea level.

• 1Like

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Tumeric not tarragon oops, paprika, cumin, chili powder, red pepper, pepper, garlic salt, msg,

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Is there any place, fast food or otherwise, where you can still get beef tallow fried French fries? McDonalds served those when I was a kid and they were amazing, then they had to change their fries recipe in like 1994 to the one they have now with vegetable oil instead of beef tallow. Not an exaggeration to say that I lost something that day. Been thinking about those fries again a lot the last couple years. There's a recipe online to make them at home, but I'll probably botch it. Gonna try it regardless when I have the right tools. In the meantime, any restaurants out there that have a close approximation of the old-school McDonalds fries?

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Is there any place, fast food or otherwise, where you can still get beef tallow fried French fries? McDonalds served those when I was a kid and they were amazing, then they had to change their fries recipe in like 1994 to the one they have now with vegetable oil instead of beef tallow. Not an exaggeration to say that I lost something that day. Been thinking about those fries again a lot the last couple years. There's a recipe online to make them at home, but I'll probably botch it. Gonna try it regardless when I have the right tools. In the meantime, any restaurants out there that have a close approximation of the old-school McDonalds fries?
I'm sure there's restaurants that do it. Duck fat is pretty great for fries too.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
you can just buy a jar for a few bucks

use a peanut oil/tallow blend if you want to conserve

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I think I'm converting to induction in the future. While the one I have tested is only 120v so it can't do party tricks like boiling water in 30 seconds, the temperature control is unreal. Since my countertop unit is about as fast to boil water as my 240v range, I'm guessing a real induction range will be actually decent.

Used a small sauce pan to melt butter, set it to 100 degrees and it was melted in less than a minute.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Is there any place, fast food or otherwise, where you can still get beef tallow fried French fries? McDonalds served those when I was a kid and they were amazing, then they had to change their fries recipe in like 1994 to the one they have now with vegetable oil instead of beef tallow. Not an exaggeration to say that I lost something that day. Been thinking about those fries again a lot the last couple years. There's a recipe online to make them at home, but I'll probably botch it. Gonna try it regardless when I have the right tools. In the meantime, any restaurants out there that have a close approximation of the old-school McDonalds fries?, but it'll be some local joint
Yeah, What ToeMissile ToeMissile said. That's not going to be anything mainstream, but some local joint cares about putting out a good product. Looks like I mentioned in another thread the other day. Tattooed moose. They're big schtick was frying everything in duck fat.

I'm sure there are restaurants out there that use beef tallow. Want to say Fallow in the UK does. I know I'm posting some of their videos in the past, but they're pretty hardcore about using things like that, and I'm pretty positive they do their triple cooked chips in beef tallow..

Just sucks I'm never going to go to London or whatever the hell, and have a chance to patron their establishment. Those guys are pretty damn talented, and there's not much on their menu but I wouldn't be more than happy to pay money for.

Luckily their YouTube channels pretty good and if you're savvy enough, you can learn or at least be inspired to try to replicate it on your own.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm sure there are restaurants out there that use beef tallow. Want to say Fallow in the UK does. I know I'm posting some of their videos in the past, but they're pretty hardcore about using things like that, and I'm pretty positive they do their triple cooked chips in beef tallow..
i want to say not in america anymore, anything and everything is fried in veggie oil

not b/c it's cheaper

but b/c of the...

MUSLIMS!!!

they can't eat falafel and fries if it's in tallow

don't want to deal w/ that shit, and also the faggot ass veggie tarians

so all vats of oil is probably just plant based soy

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
i want to say not in america anymore, anything and everything is fried in veggie oil

not b/c it's cheaper

but b/c of the...

MUSLIMS!!!

they can't eat falafel and fries if it's in tallow

don't want to deal w/ that shit, and also the faggot ass veggie tarians

so all vats of oil is probably just plant based soy

Sounds like a great market opening for a mom & pop type burger joint. Name it Absolutely Haram just to drive the point home. "Here at Absolutely Haram, all our fried foods are fried in 100% beef tallow for the Absolutely Best in flavor!"

• 1Like
  • 1Trump
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Sounds like a great market opening for a mom & pop type burger joint. Name it Absolutely Haram just to drive the point home. "Here at Absolutely Haram, all our fried foods are fried in 100% beef tallow for the Absolutely Best in flavor!"
i finish off my home fries in beef tallow

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

Yeah, that's what a DQ Dude sandwich is, congratulations. Instead of mayonnaise he swapped out white gravy. This is probably better tasting, maybe, but in Texas I've seen chicken fried steak sandwiches on the menus of all kinds of different mom and pop restaurants. That's not some new amazing recipe.

Sorry that guy is pretty hard to watch with his schtick. Just want to hear the recipe, not you trying to be funny or in character. It just never seems authentic, which is what the prime directive for me watching something on the platform is nowadays.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, that's what a DQ Dude sandwich is, congratulations. Instead of mayonnaise he swapped out white gravy. This is probably better tasting, maybe, but in Texas I've seen chicken fried steak sandwiches on the menus of all kinds of different mom and pop restaurants. That's not some new amazing recipe.

Sorry that guy is pretty hard to watch with his schtick. Just want to hear the recipe, not you trying to be funny or in character. It just never seems authentic, which is what the prime directive for me watching something on the platform is nowadays.
/sad

I love Sam

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Need to figure out how to use a lot more tomatoes from the garden that isn't just some form of homeade spaghetti sauce. Been going thru a lot of sandwiches but that's like not even a full tomato for each.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Need to figure out how to use a lot more tomatoes from the garden that isn't just some form of homeade spaghetti sauce. Been going thru a lot of sandwiches but that's like not even a full tomato for each.
Get a nice mozzarella, balsamic, olive oil, basil. Boom.

• 1Solidarity