Gravy's Cooking Thread

Siliconemelons

Been craving prime rib…

Overcooked it…

My themonitors are bust, this is the 2nd thing. They are like 3-5degrees off so things like this get, just a bit over- like the brisket

Any good recoomendations

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Get a nice mozzarella, balsamic, olive oil, basil. Boom.
Sadly i kinda hate most Italian/Mediterranean, and key factor on why this has been challenging, i don't care for tomatoes much, so the game is kinda hide the veggies ordeal.

• 1Supertaster
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
i want to say not in america anymore, anything and everything is fried in veggie oil

not b/c it's cheaper

but b/c of the...

MUSLIMS!!!

they can't eat falafel and fries if it's in tallow

don't want to deal w/ that shit, and also the faggot ass veggie tarians

so all vats of oil is probably just plant based soy

Nahh thats not the reason they changed, it was because of the stupid saturated fat=heart attack thing back in the 70s and 80s when they were pressured to change in the late 80s, maybe 1990?. Shit, at the time EGGS were being villanized by the media for being high in cholesterol. And its not just the fries that suffered because of it, the nuggets, fish fillet, pies and chicken fillets all suffered since they were all fried in the same fryers as the fries. Their stock prices immediately fell like 10% because the veggie oil just did not taste the same.

More that contributed to McDs death was the switch from making their burgers fresh, to pre-grilling their burgers and stuffing them into holding bins to save money at the expense of cardboard tasting burgers which happened also in the 90s. I mean they still held their burgers in heated holding bins, but there is a huge difference from holding full assembled burgers for 30 min in a bin, vs assembling burgers from beef thats been in the holding bin for 30 min.

Last edited:

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If I had some nice tomatoes I'd be eating BLTs all day.
Totally. When the tomatoes first start getting ripe I go on the all BLT diet for a week or two. World's greatest sandwich, although almost any sandwich gets a lot better with a nice tomato. I also like to just slice or cube them up, put salt, pepper, olive oil, and parmesan on them and call it a salad. If you don't like fresh garden tomatoes then your most urgent problem is finding out what the fuck is wrong with your mouth, not what to do with delicious tomatoes.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Been craving prime rib…

Overcooked it…

My themonitors are bust, this is the 2nd thing. They are like 3-5degrees off so things like this get, just a bit over- like the brisket

Any good recoomendations

ChefAlarm (Thermapen makers)

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Sadly i kinda hate most Italian/Mediterranean, and key factor on why this has been challenging, i don't care for tomatoes much, so the game is kinda hide the veggies ordeal.
Could always make salsa, especially if you're growing peppers, too.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Was thinking about it. You can try fire roasting them on some charcoal before you go to can. Should change the flavor of the tomato quite a bit, should be even sweeter, but you'll get that smokiness. Then you use it for either salsa or chili. If you go to preserve, you can then throw other herbs, maybe some garlic just to add a little bit more flavor as it matures. Could also try to dehydrate / sun dry them, then pack in oil. That's a radically different flavor, and a great ingredient.

Apart from eating fresh salads and just enjoying great garden tomatoes, using it on sandwiches, jarring and preserving in a couple of forms is your best bet.

There are recipes out there like a seafood Veracruz, different chicken dishes, things like that if you want to use them fresh. The tomatoes there but it's not the dominant flavor if you're not too fond of them. Just have to look up some recipes see if the ingredients are stuff that you normally like.

You can always give some to your neighbors. I don't think I'm going to get any tomatoes. They're just not flowering, and a couple that we had growing disappeared during the hurricane. Was trying to do some research about it and I think our soil is just off despite the wife having worked on composting for a good number of months and preparation for the summer garden. I'm wondering if there's anything I can maybe do to get them to flower at this point but I don't know enough about it. My immediate thought was just dousing with a ton of miracle grow hope for the best.

The biggest problem we have is just our backyard gets quite a bit of shade and we've got it in the sunniest spot, and the plants are huge, which leads me to believe that it's something with the soil.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
What we used to do with our overflow tomato harvest is just put them in a big pot, boil them down and put the sauce into gallon size freezer bags. Lay them flat in the freezer and you have good tomato base for either chili or spaghetti. My mom used to can the shit but fuck that, too much work, imo.

• 2Like

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
If I had some nice tomatoes I'd be eating BLTs all day.
BLT/ Bologna etc been doing a lot of. Wife overplanted and worse yet is a prissy bitch at times and is kinda over dealing with all the produce we've made. She didnt even stake them up well and we are losing a fair amount rotting on the vine from touching the ground. But even with that, we are still getting like a potato sack full worth of various varieties weekly.

Shockingly, made it through quite a bit of the 200lbs of taters and 50 odd lbs of onions between selling some, using, etc. Deathwing Deathwing If you want picky, should see 2 years of sad pepper attempts, opting for only jalapeno going forward seems hardier to the pests and weather. I'd be content giving up on peas/beans/peppers, scale back the tomatoes, and do even more onions and I'd like to try either a stand of corn, or my brocolli seemed to be going great until sheep broke in. Though not really a lot getting a giant head off one for the space, maybe not so effecient. I need to research into if any kinda pinto/black etc beans are a nightmare to grow and harvest, seems like theyd be.

Oh and still getting cucumbers that would make even the fattest watermelon bitch blush they are getting humongous so fast and still sweet not gone bitter. Shame I despise them and zuccini.

• 1Like

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Totally. When the tomatoes first start getting ripe I go on the all BLT diet for a week or two. World's greatest sandwich, although almost any sandwich gets a lot better with a nice tomato. I also like to just slice or cube them up, put salt, pepper, olive oil, and parmesan on them and call it a salad. If you don't like fresh garden tomatoes then your most urgent problem is finding out what the fuck is wrong with your mouth, not what to do with delicious tomatoes.
Forget the variety, but our bigger tomatoes, if I had a complaint is they seem to watery, not enough like bulk/flesh to them compared to store tomatoes. I just dont like them straight especially in some italian fancy stuff. The seasoned w/ oil and parmeson sounds a lot closer to something I'd like to try tonight.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Could always make salsa, especially if you're growing peppers, too.
Did probably 2-3 gallons worth of salsa by this point. Think she got sick of it, I think hers kinda blows, my neighbors salsa is drink out of the jar good. Very sweet and light and refreshing for summer.

Rural neighbors, everyone has their own garden. Been pimping a little at work here and there.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Drove out to the farmer's market, got some nice lettuce, tomatoes and fresh bread. Got home and realized I have no bacon.

Fuck it. BLT minus the B is not quite as devine, but still a damn good sandwich.

• 1Barf
  • 1Worf

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Drove out to the farmer's market, got some nice lettuce, tomatoes and fresh bread. Got home and realized I have no bacon.

Fuck it. BLT minus the B is not quite as devine, but still a damn good sandwich.
That's just veggies and mayo. Hope you had some protein to slap in there for a proper sammich.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Please stop bringing up the Devil's Fruit. The only good tomato is a dead tomato.

• 2Supertaster
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users