Gravy's Cooking Thread

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Well cheese already makes a burger not plain, but there’s lettuce, there’s bacon, there’s pickles, there’s other condiments. No need to sully them with tomatoes.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
How have we gone this many posts and no one mentions onions? Onions should be on almost every burger.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Beetroot.
Okay that's definitely something you and I can agree upon. I've tried cooking them different ways, just to see if maybe my taste buds have changed, and there's just something about them flavor wise that I do not like, even though I can eat every other type of root vegetable like turnips and stuff. Even tried some fancy golden beets because the wife likes them, and I thought well maybe they'll be different, no dice.

Probably don't like him because I remember very vividly school cafeteria lunches growing up, when you get always tell when they were doing canned beets as the vegetable for lunch. I think I tried them once as a kid and at that point I swore off. They have such a horrible horrible smell, and it's exactly how they taste.

That really is the devil's vegetable, I'm probably one of the only ones I don't like, or at least tolerate.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
1000004867.jpg

For reference this is massive a little on the light side on my 1-2x a week haul. Even though i don't love them sad to think we are losing like 90% of the fruit to rotting on the ground and pests. Could have a few more if i was eating the night i plucked but some of the blemishes i toss go really bad within a couple days of i try to give them a chance.

Fucking blister beetles in particular are a pain and i try not to use any pesticide

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Okay that's definitely something you and I can agree upon. I've tried cooking them different ways, just to see if maybe my taste buds have changed, and there's just something about them flavor wise that I do not like, even though I can eat every other type of root vegetable like turnips and stuff. Even tried some fancy golden beets because the wife likes them, and I thought well maybe they'll be different, no dice.

Probably don't like him because I remember very vividly school cafeteria lunches growing up, when you get always tell when they were doing canned beets as the vegetable for lunch. I think I tried them once as a kid and at that point I swore off. They have such a horrible horrible smell, and it's exactly how they taste.

That really is the devil's vegetable, I'm probably one of the only ones I don't like, or at least tolerate.
We never ate beets growing up, don’t remember when I was introduced but I love them roasted now. Little olive oil, salt and pepper. Golden beets are a more mellow flavor, might want to try those if you’re still interested in getting used to them.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
We never ate beets growing up, don’t remember when I was introduced but I love them roasted now. Little olive oil, salt and pepper. Golden beets are a more mellow flavor, might want to try those if you’re still interested in getting used to them.
That's what I was saying, I tried the yellow or golden beets, and they still have that nasty flavor. Anytime I've tried them I just tried to roast them like a root vegetable.

We never ate them growing up other than when they were served at school I don't think I ever touched them after the first time. I don't remember mine mom ever making it because I don't think she's a big fan either.

Instead I got my dose of LeSeur Stinky Peas. God I hated those, but I love fresh peas or frozen peas, the can is just disgusting.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
1722390636437.png

Broke down and did it, added lettuce since pure tomato would be too much for me but otherwise as Brutal suggested, then wife decided I should muck w/ it and added red onion and salami we had. Just missing olives to turn it into the thing I said I didnt want to.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Dill pickles only on burgers

Curse Wendy’s for swapping to bread and butter and never going back…

• 1Solidarity

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
View attachment 539074

Broke down and did it, added lettuce since pure tomato would be too much for me but otherwise as Brutal suggested, then wife decided I should muck w/ it and added red onion and salami we had. Just missing olives to turn it into the thing I said I didnt want to.
Only complaint i forgot, way too much juice on bottom, fresh garden tomatoes are too juicy, not sure how to get them drained a bit, soft squeeze in collander?

bolok

Trakanon Raider
That's what I was saying, I tried the yellow or golden beets, and they still have that nasty flavor. Anytime I've tried them I just tried to roast them like a root vegetable.

We never ate them growing up other than when they were served at school I don't think I ever touched them after the first time. I don't remember mine mom ever making it because I don't think she's a big fan either.

Instead I got my dose of LeSeur Stinky Peas. God I hated those, but I love fresh peas or frozen peas, the can is just disgusting.
Le sewer peas absolutely reek. Had those as a kid and they nearly ruined peas for me forever. Pickled beets rule. Roasted is fine too, tends to be a bit too sweet, but toss em with some vinaigrette and it works out.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Le sewer peas absolutely reek. Had those as a kid and they nearly ruined peas for me forever. Pickled beets rule. Roasted is fine too, tends to be a bit too sweet, but toss em with some vinaigrette and it works out.
Agree about the peas. I love fresh or frozen and can eat sugar snap snow peas raw. Anytime we make vegetables with dip go with cheese and crackers and stuff, well typically buy a bag of one of those. The canned though is just something I'll never have again in the rest of my life unless it's the Apocalypse. That's probably the only other time I'll force myself to eat beets.

My dad really likes them for some reason, and we've gone out to some nice steakhouses in the past, and sometimes I'll have roasted beets on the menu for a family side. He always insists on getting them, and I try them every time thinking maybe these will finally taste great.

Nope, hehe. Not only loses something about them but I just can't do. Even tried pickled thinking man that'll really radically change the flavor, but they're still that weird beet background taste that's just funky.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Still getting practice with breading. Breaded some tendies with a combo of panko and these ramen flavored funyions; sauteeds green beans; homemade garlic taters.
IMG_8257.jpegIMG_8255.jpeg

• 2Quality Calories
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users