Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Based on this the alternative curing method shouldn't add that much to the cost. From what I can tell googling the celery powder probably adds a couple of bucks to the price of curing a belly which works out to around 20 cents a pound and everything else is exactly the same.
i'm sure the super cost of the bacon is cuz of the certified organic, their videos don't even talk about the bacon process just about the organic pigs

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I know I've learned a lot watching their videos. As much as the information age sucks sometimes it is pretty amazing when this type of stuff is available, and you can learn from people that have devoted their lives to a trade, and it doesn't cost you anything.
YouTube is the best learning tool the world has ever seen. Pretty sure you can learn everything that you could at any university, sometimes through lectures by the exact professors that are teaching at the universities and also learn any trade or hobby from people who go from amateurs to the best in the world. And as you said it's all for free.

• 4Like
  • 4Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
YouTube is the best learning tool the world has ever seen. Pretty sure you can learn everything that you could at any university, sometimes through lectures by the exact professors that are teaching at the universities and also learn any trade or hobby from people who go from amateurs to the best in the world. And as you said it's all for free.
I think there are just a lot of people out there that want to share their passion for whatever, that are willing to take the time to share their wisdom and knowledge. Maybe they could be a great teacher but they didn't choose that path, but it scratches that itch to instruct and teach. It's pretty amazing. I think your average well-adjusted person simply enjoys sharing something they're good at to at least try to make the world a better place.

I basically taught myself how to fly fish and tie flies all through YouTube. Never took a lesson or knew another fly fisherman to buddy up with and learn from. I'm no master when it comes to casting, but at this point I know I'm weeps and bounds above your average person gets into the sport. The fact that I can sit and actually create something that will catch fish is even more satisfying.

The knowledge is out there and readily available, and I'm very thankful for that, and it's just a outdoor hobby. One of the reasons I never watch TV anymore because I'd rather be watching documentaries, cooking videos, or stuff about fishing. Washing machine breaks down immediately go to YouTube figure out what part I've got to replace, everything's back up and running.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Higher learning being as expensive as it is while YouTube and the internet in general is a thing is one of those "greatest trick the devil ever pulled" scenarios.

In actuality books have always had the same effect, they were just harder to come by and often coveted and highly protected because of the knowledge they contained. Nobody with a thirst for knowledge ever actually needed a lecturer to learn, the books had all the information they needed. People, in general, just learn better when the knowledge contained in the reading material can be conveyed, and relayed visually and through stories of experience.

YouTube delivers all of that, in a format that can be paused or revisited at will.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 5 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Higher learning being as expensive as it is while YouTube and the internet in general is a thing is one of those "greatest trick the devil ever pulled" scenarios.

In actuality books have always had the same effect, they were just harder to come by and often coveted and highly protected because of the knowledge they contained. Nobody with a thirst for knowledge ever actually needed a lecturer to learn, the books had all the information they needed. People, in general, just learn better when the knowledge contained in the reading material can be conveyed, and relayed visually and through stories of experience.

YouTube delivers all of that, in a format that can be paused or revisited at will.
Most of college, at least as long as I've been alive, has been mostly about the structure, and to some lesser degree, the credentialing. You could just look up all of the books needed for a degree and go get them from the book store. Even if the credentialing didn't matter, only a tiny % of people that made it though college would have had the motivation to actually go through all of those books on their own. It probably depends on the degree, but YouTube videos can probably fix a big part of that motivation issue for a lot of people.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Most of college, at least as long as I've been alive, has been mostly about the structure, and to some lesser degree, the credentialing. You could just look up all of the books needed for a degree and go get them from the book store. Even if the credentialing didn't matter, only a tiny % of people that made it though college would have had the motivation to actually go through all of those books on their own. It probably depends on the degree, but YouTube videos can probably fix a big part of that motivation issue for a lot of people.
Well what's a fucked up now, it's probably been this way for decades, is the whole plagiarism scandal with the gay bitch from Harvard. Now you have to start thinking how many tenured professors shouldn't legitimately be in their positions.

I was listening to a Lotus Eatery podcast today where they had Peter Bogosian on and that's one of the topics of conversation they talked about. Apparently he's actually working with a guy who's developing software that will be ready within maybe 6 to 8 months that can parse up to 10,000 dissertations at a time and the plan is to literally shift through every major academic institution. Pensacola at least and he didn't give a lot of information about it, but I believe the guy that he's involved with somebody trying to right the ship.

What will come of it who knows, but the fact that there are people willing to fight academia and maybe burn it all down is a glimmer of hope. Play specifically talked about vocational schools and the fact that College is so compromised at this point the credentials no longer matter because kids nowadays are either indoctrinated or they simply don't learn any real valuable skills for the vast majority of degrees. I know that's not a big revelation, but it's a movement can actually pick up that can start to delegitimize College and push kids can I get into debt and actually learn something valuable, but I think the world might be a better place.

The Podcast of the Lotus Eaters #837 | Lotus Eaters

Worth listening to if you've got an hour or so but I think that particular segment is maybe only 15-20 minutes.

Anyways back to cooking..

IMG_20240114_000619354~2.jpg

Scallops with a corn and cauliflower succotash, white wine valuete, smash and roasted yukon golds, grilled radicchio and endive, and inside skirt steak. Was trying to do something different for surf and turf for a special occasion. Best scallops I think I've ever made and it was utterly delicious.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 3Quality Calories
Reactions: 5 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Now you have to start thinking how many tenured professors shouldn't legitimately be in their positions.

Actually, I think it's way worse than that. Have you ever just read through the papers in a random journal? Not a top tier journal, but one that's still "good enough" to count. They're filled with terrible, meaningless trash. I think I'd take someone that was smart enough to at least plagiarize something useful without making it ultra obvious over what passes for content in most published journals.

And speaking of cooking, man, thanks to the last couple of pages, I really need to try making my own bacon now. (and by "I" and "my", I mean "my wife" and "her" obviously)

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Actually, I think it's way worse than that. Have you ever just read through the papers in a random journal? Not a top tier journal, but one that's still "good enough" to count. They're filled with terrible, meaningless trash. I think I'd take someone that was smart enough to at least plagiarize something useful without making it ultra obvious over what passes for content in most published journals.

And speaking of cooking, man, thanks to the last couple of pages, I really need to try making my own bacon now. (and by "I" and "my", I mean "my wife" and "her" obviously)
Yeah you want to listen to that Lotus eaters deal. Carl assumed it was somewhere below 5% of dissertations being plagiarized but Peter is like hell no. It's a really good interview, and I think the ultimate conclusion was it's a hell of a lot worse than anybody could possibly imagine and it could completely and utterly disrupt all of higher education. Not only the professors but anybody and everybody who allowed them to become tenured and knowing full and well they were frauds and shams.

It's pretty fucked up.

Sorry this needs to all go into another thread, so here's some more recent cooking.

I did some beef stir fry the other day, kind of a Mongolian beef deal, and used a velveting method for the first time. Ended up dredging in cornstarch and then shallow frying and other than smoking up the house, it was probably the best beef stir fry I made maybe ever. Is very happy with it.

IMG_20240119_220106507_HDR~2.jpg

I won't ever not do the whole velveting method in the future. It really makes a huge difference.

• 4Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 4 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Collages and Universities are bound to fail. Rising costs in the past 20-30 yrs of upwards of 200% or more and the addition of meaningless degrees just to siphon off more moneys from people that dont belong in higher education anyway? Yeah, that house of cards is bound to crash down.

• 1Truth!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah you want to listen to that Lotus eaters deal. Carl assumed it was somewhere below 5% of dissertations being plagiarized but Peter is like hell no. It's a really good interview, and I think the ultimate conclusion was it's a hell of a lot worse than anybody could possibly imagine and it could completely and utterly disrupt all of higher education. Not only the professors but anybody and everybody who allowed them to become tenured and knowing full and well they were frauds and shams.

It's pretty fucked up.

Sorry this needs to all go into another thread, so here's some more recent cooking.

I did some beef stir fry the other day, kind of a Mongolian beef deal, and used a velveting method for the first time. Ended up dredging in cornstarch and then shallow frying and other than smoking up the house, it was probably the best beef stir fry I made maybe ever. Is very happy with it.

View attachment 512765

I won't ever not do the whole velveting method in the future. It really makes a huge difference.
if you want easy beef meal prep, you can slice up your meat, sprinkle baking soda and cornstarch and freeze it. then when you think you want to cook beef for dinner, take out it in the morning and as it thaws it tenderizes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
if you want easy beef meal prep, you can slice up your meat, sprinkle baking soda and cornstarch and freeze it. then when you think you want to cook beef for dinner, take out it in the morning and as it thaws it tenderizes.
No shit? Does it turn out better because it's been sitting Frozen for a while? Maybe because if you go to freeze it and you've already had it pre-cut with the stuff to change the alkalinity, the process of freezing is going to also help tenderize it because of the ice crystals? Is there a noticeable difference between fresh meat versus the Frozen?

The method that I followed I did a wet brine of soy sauce water and baking soda for a few hours. Then I dried the meat and did the cornstarch and egg white. I did add a Chipotle Chinese five-spice I think from McAdams that I really like. Five spice but it's got a bit of heat to it.

After doing the whole thing I've been trying to figure out what other cheap ass cuts of meat I could use to do stir fry and part of me is saying buy a chuck roast and really cut it up against the grain and separate it out. I think I might try what you're talking about I just have it ready on hand because sometimes when I'm not wanting to go big production would be great to have an easy stir fry meal, especially if I just want to use up whatever vegetables and stuff I have on hand and boil up a bit of rice or noodles.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
No shit? Does it turn out better because it's been sitting Frozen for a while? Maybe because if you go to freeze it and you've already had it pre-cut with the stuff to change the alkalinity, the process of freezing is going to also help tenderize it because of the ice crystals? Is there a noticeable difference between fresh meat versus the Frozen?
no, i doubt it turns out better, it's just meal prep

like if you buy a 1.5lb chunk of meat, youre not gonna eat the whole thing, or maybe you will, but lets say it's 1.5lb chunk for 2, you can divide by 8oz, make 1 for now and freeze 2 for later

youre gonna get baking soda and cornstarch on it anyway (i assume you'll have a dredge hand), so just put the 2 other portions in a ziplock.

i roll it up into 1 big meatball and put it into away, why do i roll it up? cuz my mom rolled it up like that, no culinary reason

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I have a hog just about ready for slaughter. I have to decide how much bacon I want to make. I also love cooking pork belly without it being cured.

Freezer full of pork is a good thing.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I have a hog just about ready for slaughter. I have to decide how much bacon I want to make. I also love cooking pork belly without it being cured.

Season 1 Showtime GIF by Billions

That's awesome. I wish I had the capability of raising and harvesting that much meat. I know, I know, but it's where I'm currently living which I'm trying to change that.

It's got to be great though having access to whole primals of pork, especially if you raised it yourself. I think the last homegrown pig my family got meat from was one raised by my grandparents, his name was Arnold. I just remember if we were sitting around the dinner table during breakfast or whatever, have you had bacon my uncle but I was asked whether or not it was Arnold. I didn't understand the reference when I was a kid. They maybe raised that one and possibly one other, but never did it afterwards, at least my knowledge. I think it was just different set of responsibilities to raise that type of livestock versus milking cows, and I don't think they wanted to screw with it.

Best pork chops I ever had though.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

When we butcher a pig I always get all fresh side pork just because you can buy pretty good bacon but it seems like if most grocery stores even have fresh side pork, for some reason it costs twice as much as bacon and there's just one kind, take it or leave it. Costco is the only place that consistently has side pork at a decent price and I don't get there very often. I also like my side pork sliced about 1/2" thick which isn't how it comes normally.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
When we butcher a pig I always get all fresh side pork just because you can buy pretty good bacon but it seems like if most grocery stores even have fresh side pork, for some reason it costs twice as much as bacon and there's just one kind, take it or leave it. Costco is the only place that consistently has side pork at a decent price and I don't get there very often. I also like my side pork sliced about 1/2" thick which isn't how it comes normally.

You make a good point, but I really want some of my own home-grown bacon. Maybe that's silly, but I'm silly.

But yeah, there's going to be a lot of side pork cut just as I like it in the freezer.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
So a week ago I posted some pictures of a Römertopf clay pot I found. Turned out it was my Grandmother's and she died 40 years ago, so it hasn't been used in a while. I ended up finding some videos on how to use it and made a beef stew from a combination of these two videos.
I browned three Osso Bukko slices of beef on a pan, placed it in the pot, then softened some roughly sliced onions, carrots, mushrooms and garlic, then mixed it all up with some tinned tomato sauce and beef stock. I then poured it over the beef and put it in the oven for 4 hours at 150°C (300 F). Made some mashed potatoes to accompany it. Once it was done the beef fell apart. I cut it up into rough chunks (not pulled though), took out the bone marrow and mixed it all into the sauce again. Threw away the bones and the connecting tissue.

It was pretty damn good. Three things I need to do a bit better next time though. First is use a little less butter when frying. It was a bit too rich, even for my tastes. Second is to season it a bit better. Third is to mix the softened veg with the tomato sauce and stock into a large saucepan before pouring it into the pot.

Damn good. I had to go out for a walk after it had been in the oven for an hour because the smell that filled the house was soooo good.

Pic:

1707081343581.png

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well what's a fucked up now, it's probably been this way for decades, is the whole plagiarism scandal with the gay bitch from Harvard. Now you have to start thinking how many tenured professors shouldn't legitimately be in their positions.

I was listening to a Lotus Eatery podcast today where they had Peter Bogosian on and that's one of the topics of conversation they talked about. Apparently he's actually working with a guy who's developing software that will be ready within maybe 6 to 8 months that can parse up to 10,000 dissertations at a time and the plan is to literally shift through every major academic institution. Pensacola at least and he didn't give a lot of information about it, but I believe the guy that he's involved with somebody trying to right the ship.

What will come of it who knows, but the fact that there are people willing to fight academia and maybe burn it all down is a glimmer of hope. Play specifically talked about vocational schools and the fact that College is so compromised at this point the credentials no longer matter because kids nowadays are either indoctrinated or they simply don't learn any real valuable skills for the vast majority of degrees. I know that's not a big revelation, but it's a movement can actually pick up that can start to delegitimize College and push kids can I get into debt and actually learn something valuable, but I think the world might be a better place.

The Podcast of the Lotus Eaters #837 | Lotus Eaters

Worth listening to if you've got an hour or so but I think that particular segment is maybe only 15-20 minutes.

View attachment 512764

Scallops with a corn and cauliflower succotash, white wine valuete, smash and roasted yukon golds, grilled radicchio and endive, and inside skirt steak. Was trying to do something different for surf and turf for a special occasion. Best scallops I think I've ever made and it was utterly delicious.
1707091093698.jpeg

• 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 users