Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I don't think we ever bought those, but I guess I was thinking of their gyoza and shumi

The kombu was to put a piece in the rice vinegar solution. I saw morimoto do it, and a few other sushi making videos I watched the other day. They basically took the rice vinegar and then dissolved sugar salt and then put a piece of combo in it and let it sit for so many hours, I'm at time kind of varied all across the map. I guess that's why I asked the other day whether or not the rice vinegar if it says seasoned has already done the salt sugar and kombu, where do you just take the regular non-season vinegar and add those things in it.
this is all i get on their site
ee17f639415a13fefb9ed7983cc7afdf.png

i mean i guess i'd have to try it out, too bad my trader joes is only accessible by one of those streets that are super slow cuz of stupid traffic lights so i never go

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
this is all i get on their site
ee17f639415a13fefb9ed7983cc7afdf.png

i mean i guess i'd have to try it out, too bad my trader joes is only accessible by one of those streets that are super slow cuz of stupid traffic lights so i never go
I wasn't ever really big fan of them for a long time but we have one thats pretty close, and their prices are actually pretty good on certain items. There's some pretty interesting spices that are normally maybe two bucks a bottle. They might not always have specific things for maybe your region, I'm not quite sure about that.

I don't go to do all my grocery shopping there but what I need specific things like fresh herbs, they're still some of the best and cheapest. The cheese prices are really good, but you'd be an idiot to buy any sort of proteins from them other than maybe charcuterie.

Produce is normally pretty decent, but the surprising thing is some of the Frozen stuff is actually really tasty and I don't buy a lot of those things normally. The only thing though is the stuff that they stock sometimes rotates out seasonally so you might find something you really enjoy and them it's gone in a couple of months.

I do hate the fact that the store is so goddamn small and most of the other people running around in there just stupid soccer moms and leftist. Anytime I go though I typically bring the wife home flowers because they last a good long time and are extremely affordable for what you get.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I wasn't ever really big fan of them for a long time but we have one thats pretty close, and their prices are actually pretty good on certain items. There's some pretty interesting spices that are normally maybe two bucks a bottle. They might not always have specific things for maybe your region, I'm not quite sure about that.

I don't go to do all my grocery shopping there but what I need specific things like fresh herbs, they're still some of the best and cheapest. The cheese prices are really good, but you'd be an idiot to buy any sort of proteins from them other than maybe charcuterie.

Produce is normally pretty decent, but the surprising thing is some of the Frozen stuff is actually really tasty and I don't buy a lot of those things normally. The only thing though is the stuff that they stock sometimes rotates out seasonally so you might find something you really enjoy and them it's gone in a couple of months.

I do hate the fact that the store is so goddamn small and most of the other people running around in there just stupid soccer moms and leftist. Anytime I go though I typically bring the wife home flowers because they last a good long time and are extremely affordable for what you get.
yea for me, if i drive out to trader joes by the time i'm there, 2 more minutes out and i could be in costco instead
i mean don't get me wrong, i'm glad i'm able to have the variety now, i mean it could be vastly worse, like whomever that poor slub is that has to pay $20 for a jar of raos

yea gimme inconveniently placed trader joes any day

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
yea for me, if i drive out to trader joes by the time i'm there, 2 more minutes out and i could be in costco instead
i mean don't get me wrong, i'm glad i'm able to have the variety now, i mean it could be vastly worse, like whomever that poor slub is that has to pay $20 for a jar of raos

yea gimme inconveniently placed trader joes any day
The one by us is maybe 7 8 minutes away, and there's an HEB right across the street so I'll typically go there and then pop in a trader Joe's afterwards to pick up those couple of things I might need for a meal. I was on every big fan but I really grown to like some of the stuff they offer, despite Bidenomics, the prices haven't gone up near as much as the regular grocery store.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Trader Joe's is also going full shitlord in an argument probably going to Supreme Court to overturn the national labor board as unconstitutional like the Exxon ruling.

It helps the press are calling them Trump like and all pissed about it

• 2Like

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Made a little more expensive pizza today.

The dough was a bit harder to stretch today after 2 days in the fridge. Maybe it was a bit too cold even after being 1 hour in room temperature?

Tastes great anyway!

PXL_20240219_153826660.MP.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Being too cold will definitely make it too hard to stretch.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Yeah, the hour to get room temp has never worked for us. Always too cold still. We'll do a couple hours at room temp or some time in the oven proof setting.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Same, I normally take dough out when I get home at 3:30 for us to make pizza at 6:30

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
gonna get me some instant Jjajangmen, gonna try a brand my friend said is good paldo and i picked up a ottogi brand i'm familiar w/. the problem i have w/ jjajangmen is i don't ever really use black bean paste (it actually is used in flavoring for chinese cooking, where jjajangmen came from really) so it ends up rotting in my fridge. i'll tell you how legit they are.

i'm sure you'd have to add some veggies to it, to really get it, maybe a bit of daikon and zucchini and some pork to make it a real meal.
ottogi brand no good (not good enough)

next to try paldo jjajangmen brand

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Posted a while back about my failure making a skillet chicken and apples recipe. Honey crisps were less than a dollar a pound this week, so said fuck it, I’ll try it again. Got the thin sliced chicken this time and made sure to pre-prep everything instead of trying to do it all mid cook. Turned out a whole lot better this time. Husband, however, discovered he doesn’t like chicken with sweet flavors, lol. Won’t be making it again, I guess, but at least glad I could do it properly. The parm mashed potatoes were still dope.

IMG_7749.jpeg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I go to Trader Joe's for a couple reasons. 1. the "nub bin." When they cut their cheeses there are always left over bits. They price these really well, and so for very little money I get to try all the different cheeses they have. My wife and I will have a cheese assortment plate with a glass of wine in the evenings. It's very civilized.

2. Easy cheat meals. My family loves appetizers. Trader Joe's has an amazing selection of Asian, Greek, and other appetizers that can be heated up quickly, and are delicious. We all have our favourites. They have way better prices on that sort of thing than any other store in the city.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Posted a while back about my failure making a skillet chicken and apples recipe. Honey crisps were less than a dollar a pound this week, so said fuck it, I’ll try it again. Got the thin sliced chicken this time and made sure to pre-prep everything instead of trying to do it all mid cook. Turned out a whole lot better this time. Husband, however, discovered he doesn’t like chicken with sweet flavors, lol. Won’t be making it again, I guess, but at least glad I could do it properly. The parm mashed potatoes were still dope.

View attachment 515592

This is a man that loves his wife more than the truth. It was probably just too sweet and he was trying to be nice.

I'd be curious to know the recipe and what modifications you made.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
This is a man that loves his wife more than the truth. It was probably just too sweet and he was trying to be nice.

I'd be curious to know the recipe and what modifications you made.
Yeah, he loves bbq chicken, general tso's, etc. so I'm just gonna go with he wasn't a fan of the apples or what not. That's alright. Can always tell when he's not a fan of stuff when the plate isn't empty in less than a minute. I appreciate him at least letting me try some new stuff every now and then.

This was the recipe: https://recipecenter.martinsfoods.com/recipes/243229 Only change I made was thinner chicken so I had an easier time cooking it and added some Fireball sweet cinnamon heat seasoning that we got for Christmas as well.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ottogi brand no good (not good enough)

next to try paldo jjajangmen brand
paldo very good jjajangmen i can see why my friends recommend it, it uses a sauce packet not powder. but at this point theyre putting in ramen and i feel like i'd rather use a buckwheat noodle, and at that point i guess i'd might as well go all in making it or now find a bigger sauce packet instead.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, he loves bbq chicken, general tso's, etc. so I'm just gonna go with he wasn't a fan of the apples or what not. That's alright. Can always tell when he's not a fan of stuff when the plate isn't empty in less than a minute. I appreciate him at least letting me try some new stuff every now and then.

This was the recipe: https://recipecenter.martinsfoods.com/recipes/243229 Only change I made was thinner chicken so I had an easier time cooking it and added some Fireball sweet cinnamon heat seasoning that we got for Christmas as well.
Do you normally have different levels of tolerances for sweets? Honeycrisp tend to be pretty sweet already.

I bet some vanilla ice-cream would have helped.

I'm just joking but it does sound really sweet.

Pie GIF

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
paldo very good jjajangmen i can see why my friends recommend it, it uses a sauce packet not powder. but at this point theyre putting in ramen and i feel like i'd rather use a buckwheat noodle, and at that point i guess i'd might as well go all in making it or now find a bigger sauce packet instead.
See if they make bottles of it like Samyang does with their Buldak?