Gravy's Cooking Thread

Siliconemelons

It really isn't worth it unless you do a TON of baking.

I put vanilla in everything - and extract is stupid expensive- 10$ for a handful of b-grade beans, buy a 10-15$ Vodka, toss them in it, wait a few months... boom. A little jar like 4oz of the stuff is like 8$ now days.

I do not do a TON, but cookies, cakes, etc. and it is not like the vanilla will go bad.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've read plenty of tasting reviews that say the difference between imitation versus extract in baking isn't noticeable, so I don't bother

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I am currently in New Mexico, here to visit my in laws (Gravy's family).
I have not seen them since the FUNeral.
I arrived yesterday afternoon and am already in food heaven. My sister in-law, Liz made her chile Colorado last night. Holy guacamole (she made that too) was it good. I'm in the land of yum.
Will get some recipes while I am here!
New Mexico has some pretty unique food for sure. I used to travel there for work and I always got something called carne adovada which is sort of similar to chile colorado but I have never seen it called that outside of NM or if I have seen that name it was something totally different.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've read plenty of tasting reviews that say the difference between imitation versus extract in baking isn't noticeable, so I don't bother
Real extract does have an indefinite shelf life as long as its stored properly.

I put vanilla in everything - and extract is stupid expensive- 10$ for a handful of b-grade beans, buy a 10-15$ Vodka, toss them in it, wait a few months... boom. A little jar like 4oz of the stuff is like 8$ now days.

I do not do a TON, but cookies, cakes, etc. and it is not like the vanilla will go bad.
A) I would not use a cheap vodka. Doesn't have to be super high end but since its a one time purchase you should get something decent.

B) I'd rather use a swing top bottle over just dropping the beans in the booze but maybe you can just buy a swing top lid separately that will fit whatever vodka bottle you buy.

C) Don't just toss the bean pods into the booze and call it done.

• 3Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 3 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I’d time doing some sort of baking when my husband dod his infusions. I’d split and scrape the seeds and throw them in some cookie batter and then toss him the open pod. Worked out nicely. And yeah, we just grab some swing top bottles, let them marinate for a few weeks and then strain and back into the bottles.
IMG_7755.jpeg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I’d time doing some sort of baking when my husband dod his infusions. I’d split and scrape the seeds and throw them in some cookie batter and then toss him the open pod. Worked out nicely. And yeah, we just grab some swing top bottles, let them marinate for a few weeks and then strain and back into the bottles.
View attachment 516046
That motherfucker like apples in his bourbon but not with his chicken?

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
That motherfucker like apples in his bourbon but not with his chicken?
To be fair to him, a lot of the stuff he makes just to try and see if it works and also to have a variety of flavors. Our neighbors will sometimes throw holiday parties, etc for our street and he started bringing his booze over and making drinks for folks. He’d never bartended before but had a blast and after a couple parties he became the go-to for drink-making in the neighborhood. So he while he may not like some flavors he plays around with them in case we have neighbors who do.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Why does the top matter? I looked up how many pods per liquid and just would use whatever amount I bought
More secure and airtight if you're genuinely wanting it to last forever. Probably less of a concern if you don't buy a super cheap bottle of vodka.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

More secure and airtight if you're genuinely wanting it to last forever. Probably less of a concern if you don't buy a super cheap bottle of vodka.

Ahh got it - there are some nice old fashioned root beer sodas that come in those... and seeing as the bottles are a few bucks alone, may as well get a nice root beer :)

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
To be fair to him, a lot of the stuff he makes just to try and see if it works and also to have a variety of flavors. Our neighbors will sometimes throw holiday parties, etc for our street and he started bringing his booze over and making drinks for folks. He’d never bartended before but had a blast and after a couple parties he became the go-to for drink-making in the neighborhood. So he while he may not like some flavors he plays around with them in case we have neighbors who do.
I feel him on that. I love making weird cocktails. I've gotten really into it in the last couple of years. I have a batch of clarified Paper Planes in the fridge right now for our DnD session tomorrow.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

A) I would not use a cheap vodka. Doesn't have to be super high end but since its a one time purchase you should get something decent.

B) I'd rather use a swing top bottle over just dropping the beans in the booze but maybe you can just buy a swing top lid separately that will fit whatever vodka bottle you buy.

Did you just link an article about cutting a vanilla pod open? Do people not really know how to do that or why you would do it?

Sorry I'm not trying to bust your balls, that's just surprising that an article was written about something so God damn simple.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Did you just link an article about cutting a vanilla pod open? Do people not really know how to do that or why you would do it?

Sorry I'm not trying to bust your balls, that's just surprising that an article was written about something so God damn simple.
I didn't know if Silicone was being literal with 'toss them in it'. and frankly, thinking you can just drop intact vanilla pods straight into the vodka sounds like exactly the kind of dumbass thing I would do if I didn't research it adequately first.

• 1Worf

Aldarion

Egg Nazi

Don't be mad theres a brief, skim-it-in-2-minutes article about it.

Instead be happy its not a 50 minute Youtube video with exactly the same amount of content.

• 2Worf

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Raised the Pizza Stone and also pre-baked a few minutes with just tomato sauce before adding the cheese and into the oven again. Better color and more crisp!

PXL_20240224_140858783.jpg

• 5Like
  • 2Quality Calories
Reactions: 6 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Don't be mad theres a brief, skim-it-in-2-minutes article about it.

Instead be happy its not a 50 minute Youtube video with exactly the same amount of content.
Or a recipe website where they make you scroll past 1000 words of inane text and 10 ads before you can see the recipe.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Or a recipe website where they make you scroll past 1000 words of inane text and 10 ads before you can see the recipe.
yeah, its nuts. we had this brief golden age where you could easily search for recipes on the internet, and it looked like cookbooks were dead.

then the modern internet ruined recipes and cookbooks are lookin pretty great.

• 1Solidarity

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

I have vanilla beans out the ass thanks to my trips to africa. Those B quality beans you get off of amazon and what not? They sell for about 10$ for a couple hundred where they grow them in Madagascar, basically a huge handful. Maybe 20-30$ per kilo? Plus you can get extremely high quality extra large beans there if you know where to look, better than anything I've ever seen for sale in america, but I don't waste those beans on extract.

This is the vodka I use for my extract. It's exactly what you want in an extract liquor, a very simple flavor profile that gives way to whatever you add easily. I probably put about 30 beans per 1.75l It'll turn mostly black in a couple days, and after about a month will taste very good. I let my bottles sit for about a year , just giving them a good spin and shake once a month before I use them or filter into smaller bottles and give them as gifts. WAY better than any extract you'll get from the store.

1708791366156.jpeg

• 1Quality Calories
  • 1Mother of God

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have vanilla beans out the ass thanks to my trips to africa. Those B quality beans you get off of amazon and what not? They sell for about 10$ for a couple hundred where they grow them in Madagascar, basically a huge handful. Maybe 20-30$ per kilo? Plus you can get extremely high quality extra large beans there if you know where to look, better than anything I've ever seen for sale in america, but I don't waste those beans on extract.

This is the vodka I use for my extract. It's exactly what you want in an extract liquor, a very simple flavor profile that gives way to whatever you add easily. I probably put about 30 beans per 1.75l It'll turn mostly black in a couple days, and after about a month will taste very good. I let my bottles sit for about a year , just giving them a good spin and shake once a month before I use them or filter into smaller bottles and give them as gifts. WAY better than any extract you'll get from the store.

View attachment 516218
Feel free to take over answering Siliconemelons Siliconemelons questions cause all I've done is research it.