Greatest Video Game(s) of All Time

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Anyone play an arcade game called G.R.I.D.? It had a trackball and keypad for PIN access to a local account. Arena shooter. Fucking loved that game, never see anything about it anywhere but it heavily fostered my love for shooters. Nostalgia glasses on, totally, but I remember it being fucking awesome.
Anyway, that and Gauntlet Legends, Time Crisis and the classic fighters like Killer Instinct & Tekken, etc. are definitely some of my top arcade games.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
Holy shit yes on Punch Out. Oh my fucking god the hours I wasted on that and Blades of Steel in college....
The only fighter that ever gave me any kind of challenge was Super Macho Man. i woudl fuck up that timing on the spinning punch at times. lol he was harder then Tyson imo. Once you got Tyson down, he was pretty easy you just needed insane reaction times. (i no longer have that anymore). I cant even get passed Sandman Anymore. haha from 12 to 40 you slow down a little bit. haha

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Mass Effect Andromeda.

Because god damn, I can't remember the last time I got this much entertainment out of a video game.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1SJW
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 5 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Ever play Rampage on the NES?

I quite enjoyed that one

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
My family didn't get a computer until the 486 came out and SC2K was the first game I installed.

I had a 486sx with 4mb RAM, but SC2K needed 8mb. Should have heard my father swearing when I asked him for more RAM! "What god damn game needs 8 bloody megabytes of RAM god damn it!!" :D Good times.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
clarity.gif

Man, Transport Tycoon is the SHIT! Along with Sid Meier's Pirates! it's one of the few games I routinely play (OpenTTD now, like you mentioned) to this day at least a few times a year. Did you ever play the unofficial sequel Locomotion? I played that for a while instead, but ended up going back to OpenTTD.

I love how the community has continued to develop TTD through OpenTTD. I wish that were possible with more games! Imagine if games such as MMO2, SC2K, M&M and others would be if their code had gone open source and been allowed to develop.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Best RPG - Planescape: Torment
Best FPS - Doom (original). Talk about creating a genre. Wolfenstein was first, but Doom was just amazing.
Best Racing - Tourist Trophy on PS2.
Best Adventure - Zork 2
Best TB Strategy - Master of Magic
Best RTS - Command & Conquer

Beyond that.. I don't really have an opinion.. Tons of great games have come along over the years.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Oh, C&C 1..

Outranging GDI guard tower with rocket man or rocket bike but only from a few certain directions was one of my favorite mechanical progression bottlenecks of all time. Same deal with artillery vs advanced guard tower.

Early in the game before patching you could give the "stop" command (s) to a defensive structure right when the minigunners came out. You got to keep the gunners and the defensive structure didn't sell but instead remained. Given that this worked in multiplayer, it was funny to see actually how many minigunners it took to take out a flame tank.

Multiplayer forever ruined by 3-4 orca missles + an ion cannon gibbing a con yard. Con yards became ridiculously tankier in Red Alert (especially, seemingly against air craft/nuke) because of this type of shit. Same deal goes with the changes in Red Alert to how an engineer could only capture a low health building instead of an anytime outright capture.

Covert Ops had a mission that I think was literally impossible unless you exploited the AI by building a very far north away from your base silo over and over. This is because the AI got nuke and airstrikes both as Nod. It would always nuke or airstrike the north most unit, except for certain missions where it was told to nuke your starting location. The nuke in single player was way more powerful than in multiplayer and would destroy a conyard out right. That is just one of the fucked up missions in Covert Ops that was mind blowingly hard to beat.

Other fun tricks involved using sand bags (or chain link/concrete as heavier tanks could run over each depending on which) to block the AI's harvesters off or trapping the enemy AI in their own base with the sand bag snake.

It had some serious issyas and serious exploits but did love it.

Last edited:
  • 1Smuggly

Ryan

Trakanon Raider
My full list of all time greatest games would be pretty large and contain a lot of expected stuff. So here are a few that might be non-typical:

Devil May Cry 3
Master of Magic
Legacy of Kain series
Dynasty Warriors series
Star Control 2

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
^ The cut scenes and unlocking tech as missions progressed were very immersive. Something about how things were shown in the instruction manual too.

The commando in that game was one of the most iconic characters from any series for me.

*kills enemy*
"That was left handed!"

So good.

• 1Smuggly

joz123

Potato del Grande
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Still my favorite music from any game, graphics still hold up to me, reverse castle was awesome as hell. They need to remaster it on PS4.

• 1Solidarity

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Greatest Games/Series (I have a pretty niche taste and the last 10-15 yrs played very limited ranges of game types
MMO - VG
RPG/Strategy - FFT, Entire Disgaea series, Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre, Cross Edge, earlier Might & Magic series and Romance of the 3 Kingdoms, FF3 (US)
Fighting - SNES Killer Instinct,

Oddly enough after all my years of gaming the old ones still do more for me then anything recent outside of the disgaea series.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Did you actually like Disgaea 5? I had never played a Disgaea game but I loved the Final Fantasy Tactics games so I gave it a shot. I thought it was terrible.