Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Vithe_foh

shitlord
Chronicals of Spellborn has a interesting way of dealing with skills. It"s almost like playing Magic:The Gathering (card game). The concept sounds pretty cool to me, can"t wait to see how it pans out.

Bongk_foh

shitlord
Vithe said:
Chronicals of Spellborn has a interesting way of dealing with skills. It"s almost like playing Magic:The Gathering (card game). The concept sounds pretty cool to me, can"t wait to see how it pans out.
well what is it?

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Well either way you select the core aspect of your "class" in dev selected locations and then go out and kill baddies outside. If you want to change, you can, but not with the a single button in the bottom of a dungeon.

Issue being with gear/ability/stance selection = class would be how to do it seamlessly. EVE and Guild Wars both pivot off of the design necessary to facilitate this with space stations and instanced towns. I think any game implementing this advancement system would be in the same situation. In a virtually seamless fantasy landscape it"s a bit more difficult to integrate.

With such a system they wouldn"t have gay classes that can"t throw a rock at a mob to pull it. Everyone would keep some kind of trivial ranged ability handy. I hate when my class can"t get an NPC"s attention from at least 20 yards.

Spellborn said:
Skills in a character"s Skillbook are not yet available during a fight; they must be placed into the Skilldeck to be used during combat.

The player must select several skills from the Skillbook and place these into the character"s Skilldeck. The Skilldeck can be compared to a deck of cards as seen in many collectible trading card games. It consists of 6 rows (called tiers) with 5 skill-slots per row. Each skill-slot can be filled with a chosen skill, as long as the skill was learned and is available in the character"s Skillbook. There are some minor rules for placing skills in the Skilldeck, but other then that the players are completely free to experiment and create their own fighting styles and tactics. Teams can coordinate the composition of their Skilldecks to increase their battle performance during large tournaments in the Quarterstone Arena.
Source

It goes on to describe more. I keep forgetting this MMO is in development. The artwork reminds me of DDO, but that isn"t a fair comparison given my ignorance of the game.

Lonin_foh

shitlord
I like the strategy aspect that a limited spell number brings, but I dislike that it goes against common sense. I can"t think of any fantasy literature where the spell caster is like, "oh shit guys, I forgot to mem fireball, we"re screwed!" I"d much prefer an unlimited number of spell slots, but a harsher penalty for overcasting, like a fatigue and/or decay system that is fairly common in fantasy universes.

Northerner_foh

shitlord
Fuck limiting spell-casters even further. They willalwaysbe balanced around no mana limitations and near-perfect casting opportunities. Given that, fuck the idea of them having to deal with any other issues.

That said, I"d love a system that made int-casters unique and special children. The issue is that it doesn"t play well with PvP (no one liked invis pyro ganking in beta except those of us that could do it) and it also leaves the spectre in the room where "if" this and "if" that then suddenly all melee dps is moot.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
As far as fantasy literature, just read any Dragonlance novels. That"s where it started. They don"t come out and say what you said, but it"s there in a form.

Cybsled

I loved invis pryo ganking in Wow Beta, because I was a warlock with see invis and most invis pyros thought they were king shit and no one could see them ^_^

Lonin_foh

shitlord
Draegan said:
As far as fantasy literature, just read any Dragonlance novels. That"s where it started. They don"t come out and say what you said, but it"s there in a form.
Fair enough, I haven"t read that series. I still think it seems like an artificial barrier. I think it"s perfect for some games like Guild Wars, but my "ideal" game wouldn"t have spell slot limits. Then again, I don"t play casting classes, so this is more of a theoretical thing to me.

Plorkyeran_foh

shitlord
Draegan said:
No, the Dragonlance novels use the D&D spell system due to that they"re based on a D&D game setting. D&D itself got the whole memorization system from Jack Vance"s Dying Earth novels. There, wizards do pretty much say "oh shit guys, I forgot to mem fireball", although obviously not in those words.

Lonin_foh

shitlord
Plorkyeran said:
No, the Dragonlance novels use the D&D spell system due to that they"re based on a D&D game setting. D&D itself got the whole memorization system from Jack Vance"s Dying Earth novels. There, wizards do pretty much say "oh shit guys, I forgot to mem fireball", although obviously not in those words.
If there were wizards in real life, and I"m with one fighting to save the planet from evil or something, and he tells me he can"t cast some badass spell because he forgot to memorize it, I"d kick him in the balls.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Plorkyeran said:
Whatever. Your faggot nerd points go up by a few. I lose.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Why the language? Is it impossible to get 5 posts through any topic without someone F bombing or getting profane? Can"t tell you to stop or shut you up, but it does zero for the conversation. Let"s keep to the topics if you all want to exchange cool ideas.
And ya, fantasy MMO.... Who"d a thunk it with RA creating our world

Cybsled

I know you don"t want to go into the sekret sauce type stuff, but can you reveal how fantasy based is it?

Like is it pure LOTR-style magic stuff, or is it kind of a combo like WoW or FFXI (Fantasy + steampunk elements)?

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
I can"t, we can"t, not yet.

We believe in the process in that the design group, the PR Marketing people, Todd, and many others with input have created a flow to this entire thing that will put out there what needs to be put out there when it needs to be put out there.

Doesn"t answer your questions but it all boils down to being able to maintain energy and momentum when it firsts reveals itself, all the way through launch without relying on players to overhype or underhype what it is we are doing.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
^^ sure would like to see RA put out a book (or 2 or 3) before the game is out...would love to get into the lore via that setting first.

Keep it that way. Less is more. From what I can tell the Flying Labs Software guys did this and it has worked, at least on me. I had no intention of playing PoTBS and did not follow it at all. It really did not make much noise until recently. When I was introduced to it during the first stress test they had a notice basically saying "Avatar combat sucks right now. We will improve it."

Those guys are very active on the interwebs but do not boast they have the best game in the world and they will take all of Blizzard"s customers. Although they are very proud of their product, they speak the truth and do not go overboard with hype.

Seriously, get some books put out surrounding the lore filled with Bob"s sick ass combat descriptions. I"ve read every single book he"s written and will read every one he puts out. Hell, my handle is taken from his last name.