Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
This movie hit all the right notes - id rank it on par with Cap 2 but ofcourse its content was much more comical than the serious tone set in Cap 2. However i like both of them better than Avengers even tho i feel Avengers was awesome as well.

I didnt stay for the end credits, some ho brought a crying child into the movie...So what did i miss and is there some jaded part of the net that has it up to view?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I hope once Thanos finishes his collection he turns into the beefy evil bastard he should be. Perhaps its because hes sitting down but his body just doesnt resemble the comic Thanos enough.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Fun movie... great moments throughout. I don't think i've seen a movie hit so many tones well as this movie in a long time. Great comedy moment in tandem with some heartfelt moments as well. Comic portions were well done. Thanos gave off a great vibe... I really hope we get to see him in action in later movies. I think top to bottom it is my second or third favorite Marvel movie. Avengers, Ironman, and GotG are all right there together.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
After seeing this movie I hope beyond hope that in Avengers 3 when Thanos comes to Earth somehow (you know its going to happen) and is the big baddy to end the 3rd phase, there is a scene in it when that gorgeous blue and orange ship comes out from the sky and saves an Avenger or 2. One of those, "Fuck Ya" moments.

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
rrr_img_72551.jpg

Doesnt seem buff enough - Thanos is slightly smaller than Hulk iirc.
Compare:
rrr_img_72612.jpg

Actually the first thing I noticed was, "Wow Thanos has some bitchin' armor in this." As his comic book costume is a little plain.

Of course that picture is also a little depressing, since the Surfer isn't going to be in the Marvel cinematic universe anytime soon.
frown.png

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Ok, so. I need to read me some comics. What's the best way to get the Infinity Wars stuff, preferably on my iPad?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Compare:
rrr_img_72612.jpg

Actually the first thing I noticed was, "Wow Thanos has some bitchin' armor in this." As his comic book costume is a little plain.

Of course that picture is also a little depressing, since the Surfer isn't going to be in the Marvel cinematic universe anytime soon.
frown.png
As someone who is mostly aware of the comic sphere through friends/acquaintances but who has never followed or read any of the source material, the problem is that a lot of hero concepts are just... well, fucking dumb. Unfortunately I think we're starting to get to that point with the Marvel franchises. I mean Ant Man?

I understand that if you simply ignore the cover on the book of some of the more outlandish stuff and start reading you can get attached to characters, but damn... Super rich physicist-engineer building a robot suit to blow shit up? Makes sense. Alien with superior strength and flight because it's just a personification of the concept of super-human in all aspects? I see the allure. Dude who gets special powers similar to a spider from some <<insert science prefix>> arachnid? Sure, the pseudo-science works in a fantasy setting. Something vaguely human covered in mercury on a surfboard that floats through space is just not something I can associate with or really have any conceptual desire to understand or watch. I just don't even know what to do with that mental image besides laugh.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
As someone who is mostly aware of the comic sphere through friends/acquaintances but who has never followed or read any of the source material, the problem is that a lot of hero concepts are just... well, fucking dumb. Unfortunately I think we're starting to get to that point with the Marvel franchises. I mean Ant Man?

I understand that if you simply ignore the cover on the book of some of the more outlandish stuff and start reading you can get attached to characters, but damn... Super rich physicist-engineer building a robot suit to blow shit up? Makes sense. Alien with superior strength and flight because it's just a personification of the concept of super-human in all aspects? I see the allure. Dude who gets special powers similar to a spider from some <<insert science prefix>> arachnid? Sure, the pseudo-science works in a fantasy setting. Something vaguely human covered in mercury on a surfboard that floats through space is just not something I can associate with or really have any conceptual desire to understand or watch. I just don't even know what to do with that mental image besides laugh.
Yeah well, I think Marvel has proven they can make it work. I'm not going to argue with success.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Compare:
rrr_img_72612.jpg

frown.png
Mainly hes thinner - hes not as beefy/muscular/mini-hulkish hes built but thinner with armor on. It could work but i was hoping for a guy who looked like he could be a purple hulk.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I thought it was good. The humor was way too much for me though. It felt like every scene had to have humor when none was needed (see spoiler). Rocket of course was awesome, along with Groot. The visuals were awesome also.

The scene where Ronan reaches the planet...and Quill acts silly trying to start a dance off was just silly. MORE so because Ronan starts to dialogue with him!

What is the time line here...I assume before the Thor movies, and Avengers?

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Ok, so. I need to read me some comics. What's the best way to get the Infinity Wars stuff, preferably on my iPad?
There is a torrent floating around with every tie-in in correct reading order. I'd do that. I believe there is also one of Annihilation which is one of the best reads and gives mostly what you need to know about Cosmic Marvel.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
@Brahma I think you're way off. The casting choices and humour were pretty key to the overall feel of the movie. For a relatively unknown IP, they really needed to appeal to a broad audience (not just men, but children and women too) and I think they succeeded spectacularly. Visuals, soundtrack, pacing, action... All near perfect.

9.5/10

Caliane

After seeing this movie I hope beyond hope that in Avengers 3 when Thanos comes to Earth somehow (you know its going to happen) and is the big baddy to end the 3rd phase, there is a scene in it when that gorgeous blue and orange ship comes out from the sky and saves an Avenger or 2. One of those, "Fuck Ya" moments.
Nah. Guardians need to stay away from Earth.

More like just have an after credits scene, with the Avengers doing a "we came, we saw, we kicked its ass!" after having stopped Thanos. "we're the baddest dudes in the Galaxy."
Then wipe to the Guardians in a mexican standoff with Galactus.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
The humor is that way in the comics though too. Nearly every page of GotG has a joke or some kind of comeback, especially if Rocket or Peter Quill are involved. That is just another reason to get Nova involved, because in the comics Rich and Pete have some great synergy, both in ass kicking and personality.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
@Brahma I think you're way off. The casting choices and humour were pretty key to the overall feel of the movie. For a relatively unknown IP, they really needed to appeal to a broad audience (not just men, but children and women too) and I think they succeeded spectacularly. Visuals, soundtrack, pacing, action... All near perfect.

9.5/10
Yup...everything you mentioned I agree with. It just seemed they over did the humor is all.

The humor is that way in the comics though too. Nearly every page of GotG has a joke or some kind of comeback, especially if Rocket or Peter Quill are involved. That is just another reason to get Nova involved, because in the comics Rich and Pete have some great synergy, both in ass kicking and personality.
Then it makes total sense why they went this route. Plus like Quaid said...they pulled everyone in with this movie.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I really enjoyed this movie. Not sure I would go see it again in theaters, but I didn't feel like I wasted my 3D money. The 3D specifically seemed well done. It wasn't distracting, but it did take away a bit from the fast paced scenes.

The only thing that broke my immersion was him rescuing Gamora in space by just flying out there all willy nilly. Hey babe, take this helmet. Does space not work on humans the same way in Marvel deep space? Does his helmet give some sort of whole body protection? Or is it just explained as Peter being 'more than human'? I don't know any of the back story.