H1Z1 (Not actually an MMO) - Server: Antidote (info in first post)

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Someone educate me. I thought that a true FPS could not be done at an MMO scale? Like... Technology wise. Is that just not true? And to be honest I have nothing to back that up and can't remember why I believed this for years.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Someone educate me. I thought that a true FPS could not be done at an MMO scale? Like... Technology wise. Is that just not true? And to be honest I have nothing to back that up and can't remember why I believed this for years.
Works just fine in planetside 2. The game has some big issues but hit detection is usually quite good.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
i find the sandboxy nature of its description interesting.... but zombies are so overdone at this point.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Yea I wish this had a Fallout theme instead of zombies. Otherwise sounds good, has many EVE-ish elements apparently. I'll probably pony up the early access fee.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I was hoping for something post-apocalyptic, though with a little bit more color then Fall Out 3, which I can only think of in grey-tones. Also was hoping for a skilll system a la SWG. Instead we get zombies, survival, PvP and no skill system.

Not interested. Not interested in EQnext either, because I think the graphical style sucks (Free Realms with the cartoony big-chin avatars).

I'll stick with EQ and a few other games on the horizon.

Sorry, in a whiny mood.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Also was hoping for a skilll system a la SWG.
This is certainly what most thought was going to be the case when Smed came out with his SWG remark.

For me SoE could well be continuing their long history of having massive opportunities fall in their lap only to screw them up with dumb decisions. I'll be playing H1N1 but I'm not nearly as excited as I could be - and was - about it.

I don't get why people are so upset about the no-skill system. Is it because you have to actually be good at the game yourself, rather than have time dedicated be the deciding factor? I love the idea of everyone being on equal footing from the get go and you develop your own skills in how you build/defend/attack. Create your own combinations and strategies.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I don't get why people are so upset about the no-skill system. Is it because you have to actually be good at the game yourself, rather than have time dedicated be the deciding factor? I love the idea of everyone being on equal footing from the get go and you develop your own skills in how you build/defend/attack. Create your own combinations and strategies.
Just wanted to point out that the wording of your posts makes it sound like you think that getting good at a game yourself has nothing to do with time dedicated.

Also, a "skill-based" system, imo, has more to do with diversity than "leveling up". Making your own unique and interesting character build. Without it, it's just a pretty shallow shooter. (I use the term shooter loosely, since guns/ammo are supposed to be rare)

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Also, a "skill-based" system, imo, has more to do with diversity than "leveling up". Making your own unique and interesting character build. Without it, it's just a pretty shallow shooter. (I use the term shooter loosely, since guns/ammo are supposed to be rare)
Play DayZ

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Yea I wish this had a Fallout theme instead of zombies. Otherwise sounds good, has many EVE-ish elements apparently. I'll probably pony up the early access fee.
I feel the same way. I think they should add more hints of scifi/paranormal stuff. Crashed UFO, a ghostly child walking through a field for a few seconds before disappearing, mutants, mutated animals, etc.

That way if zombies go stale they can announce new content and proclaim that these things were planned because there are hints of it in the game. If the game is good with just zombies, they can just claim them as easter eggs.

Just wanted to point out that the wording of your posts makes it sound like you think that getting good at a game yourself has nothing to do with time dedicated.

...and you develop your own skills in how you build/defend/attack. Create your own combinations and strategies.
Again, not sure how having a no-skill system deters you being unique in how you utilize the environment around you to your own advantage. If anything, a skill system is a crutch for the uninspired, and an artificial "I'm better than you" leverage.

Having access to everything immediately that you can get in contact with allows you to observe, adapt, and elaborate on other strategies you see without the artificial barrier of a grind time to build those skills you watch being used.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
That's just bullshit that has been popularized since about Shadowbane or before.

Remember what they said with shadowbane. With the size of the combat that they wanted to have in Shadowbane, they couldn't support WASD input because it was too much strain on the server.

The truth of the matter is that most MMO game engines are trash, and we're finally seeing some halfway decent shit come out making things like Planetside 2 possible.

If you recall, Planetside sucked during beta/launch, but as they figured things out it started working a little better. PS2 pretty much works fine.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Again, not sure how having a no-skill system deters you being unique in how you utilize the environment around you to your own advantage. If anything, a skill system is a crutch for the uninspired, and an artificial "I'm better than you" leverage.

Having access to everything immediately that you can get in contact with allows you to observe, adapt, and elaborate on other strategies you see without the artificial barrier of a grind time to build those skills you watch being used.
I don't know what videos you've been watching, but from the ones I've seen this doesn't really apply. Click mouse to swing weapon, click mouse to shoot gun. I never mentioned anything about grinding. They could just allocate you all your points are character creation. It's a moot point anyway.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I don't know what videos you've been watching, but from the ones I've seen this doesn't really apply. Click mouse to swing weapon, click mouse to shoot gun. I never mentioned anything about grinding. They could just allocate you all your points are character creation. It's a moot point anyway.
Play DayZ

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Its persistent server/world version of DayZ. What alot of folks wanted after hearing some badly worded sentence from Smed was a MMORPG, this is a MMO survival. If you have zero interest in games like DayZ/Rust, you'll not have a good time with this. You're going to lose all your hard work to some dick waiting on a rooftop or mountain top over and over again.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I have access to the same information as everyone else. I said I have zero interest in Dayz, not that I have zero interest in games of the same type. I feel like I have to add a paragraph at the bottom of every post to clarify simple one sentence statements.
frown.png