HDTVs

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah Samsung deserves a discussion place in hell for the one connect box as well as the ad required internet functionality stuff. I wish TVs would go away from SmartTV the way 3D is no longer an emphasis. They just need to make good monitors and be done with it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I like the one connect. I don't think most people have the same use case as you guys, and having the hdmi and USB ports easily accessible is a plus.

The ad thing is ridiculous, but also very overblown. But it shouldn't be there at all

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Wife is looking for a 50 inch for bedroom to use with a chromecast. From the last couple comments do they even make basically dumb tv's anymore? Willing to go to 55 if price is like at costco and like $30 more for 5 inches.... Think the minimum size she was ok with was 48. Going to be wall mounted.

Just amazon search for cheapest first? I'm a jew about a spare tv that wont get used that much so while I think it was like $380 at costco which is tolerable, I was hoping I could find something basic for like $250, obviously not some 4k super high end thing.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Yeah Samsung deserves a discussion place in hell for the one connect box as well as the ad required internet functionality stuff. I wish TVs would go away from SmartTV the way 3D is no longer an emphasis. They just need to make good monitors and be done with it.
yeah that's not going to happen. SmartTV is only going to become more of an emphasis.

Amir

Vyemm Raider
I have finally decided to make the upgrade from 1080p LED tv to a 4k smart uhd tv.

I see best buy has the 65ks8000 around what I am able to spend.

My primary useage are PS4, TV, Netflix, Hulu
My wife's useage is TV, Netflix and Hulu.

Will this be a TV that can carry our needs or is it overkill?

Spent some time at the store eyeing 4K sets and it just looks amazing.

Oh, thought I would mention, I mostly play single player games on the ps4.

Thank you for the replies~

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I have finally decided to make the upgrade from 1080p LED tv to a 4k smart uhd tv.

I see best buy has the 65ks8000 around what I am able to spend.

My primary useage are PS4, TV, Netflix, Hulu
My wife's useage is TV, Netflix and Hulu.

Will this be a TV that can carry our needs or is it overkill?

Spent some time at the store eyeing 4K sets and it just looks amazing.

Oh, thought I would mention, I mostly play single player games on the ps4.

Thank you for the replies~
Probably not the answer you want to hear but you might want to consider waiting another year or two to upgrade if you dont need to upgrade immediately. 4k content offerings are still few and far between and were at a point in time where competition is really picking up between LG, Samsung, and Sony and improvements and price.drops will be coming quick.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Probably not the answer you want to hear but you might want to consider waiting another year or two to upgrade if you dont need to upgrade immediately. 4k content offerings are still few and far between and were at a point in time where competition is really picking up between LG, Samsung, and Sony and improvements and price.drops will be coming quick.

As much as I love 4K, this is the exact reason I haven't made the upgrade yet. Every time I float the idea, I look at the complete lack of any mainstream 4K content. By the time we actually start seeing 4K, the tech will be more mature and prices will be cheaper.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
FWIW: 4K content has really started picking up in the last 6 months (I'm more specifically talking about torrents). I normally download shows like Better Call Saul and Stranger things in 2160p and put them on my Plex Server to stream through my nVidia Shield (10/10 would recommend the Shield). A lot more movies are starting to pop up as well (Hacksaw Ridge, X-Men, Sicario, etc). It is no where near the availability of 1080p but it is really starting to become more prevalent.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
FWIW: 4K content has really started picking up in the last 6 months (I'm more specifically talking about torrents). I normally download shows like Better Call Saul and Stranger things in 2160p and put them on my Plex Server to stream through my nVidia Shield (10/10 would recommend the Shield). A lot more movies are starting to pop up as well (Hacksaw Ridge, X-Men, Sicario, etc). It is no where near the availability of 1080p but it is really starting to become more prevalent.
What is the source of 4k episodes of better call saul?

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
The ks8000 is the best bang for buck tv by far. I dont think you will be unhappy. If you want to go a little higher end check ebay deals from a vendor like buydig. They sell out the LG 65 inch OLEDs and sony 75x940Ds for under 3k no tax each weekend it seems like.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Better Call Saul is on Amazon at 4k around a day after it airs on T.V. This is for purchase. If you are using Sonarr or something similar to automate your Tv stuff you might want to set the quality to 2160p and wait a couple days longer to get a superior picture.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Have to wonder how much those streams are compressed. Those 4k streams are losing so much in the compression, what is the point of it in the first place? True 4k would be an absolute fuckton of data per month in a country that still often has data caps from shitty ISPs.

Even with the shitty compression, here are the numbers:

http://gizmodo.com/you-can-burn-through-your-entire-broadband-data-cap-in-1524579598
Streaming in 1080p on Netflix takes up 4.7GB/hour. So a regular one-hour episode of something debiting less than 5GB from your allotment is no big deal. However, with 4K, you've got quadruple the pixel count, so you're burning through 18.8GB/hour. Even if you're streaming with the new h.265 codec—which cuts the bit rate by about half, but still hasn't found its way into many consumer products—you're still looking at 7GB/hour.

But you're not watching just one episode, are you? Of course not! You're binging on House of Cards, watching the whole series if not in one weekend then certainly in one month. That's 639 minutes of top-quality TV, which in 4K tallies up to 75GB if you're using the latest and greatest codec, and nearly 200GB if not. That means, best case scenario, a quarter of your cap—a third, if you're a U-Verse customer with a 250GB cap—spent on one television show. Throw in a normal month's internet usage, and you're toast.

Prefer movies to TV shows? Sure! Sony's Unlimited Video service has 70 4K titles and counting available to stream, but good luck renting very many of them each month. A Sony rep has said that a single two-hour movie download will eat up 40GB. Basically, you get seven movies in 4K and you're done. Fourteen hours of streaming for the entire month. And that's assuming you don't use the internet for anything else, at all, ever.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Have to wonder how much those streams are compressed. Those 4k streams are losing so much in the compression, what is the point of it in the first place? True 4k would be an absolute fuckton of data per month in a country that still often has data caps from shitty ISPs.

Even with the shitty compression, here are the numbers:

http://gizmodo.com/you-can-burn-through-your-entire-broadband-data-cap-in-1524579598
Yea, it's pretty rediculous. Even those with Google Fiber, or similar, have 1TB caps, which is more, but still can be eaten up very quickly. While I don't watch nearly any of them, I get a ton of TV shows through Sonarr, and have them all set to SD. Looks fine to me, although I probably don't know what I'm missing, and keeps my data cap from getting eaten alive.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I went to Costco today and surprisingly they now carry LG's OLED TV's. The one on display was the 2017 model for $3,949.99. It's a 65" OLED65B7P. So, maybe they'll come in with better pricing than Best Buy.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have an opinion on the Sony X750D TV? Looking for a TV for primarily sports, blu-rays, and firestick with kodi.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Yea, it's pretty rediculous. Even those with Google Fiber, or similar, have 1TB caps, which is more, but still can be eaten up very quickly. While I don't watch nearly any of them, I get a ton of TV shows through Sonarr, and have them all set to SD. Looks fine to me, although I probably don't know what I'm missing, and keeps my data cap from getting eaten alive.

uhhh If you have a HDTV then why the fuck are you still watching stuff in SD?

Can you genuinely not see any difference even going on youtube and watching a 1080p trailer vs the same trailer in 480p?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
uhhh If you have a HDTV then why the fuck are you still watching stuff in SD?

Can you genuinely not see any difference even going on youtube and watching a 1080p trailer vs the same trailer in 480p?
On a computer screen up close, I can see a difference very easily. 10ft+ back from a 46" TV? Can't really see enough of a difference that I give a shit, and it's worked fine in keeping my 2TB hard drive from getting full, and keeping my 1TB data cap in check.