HDTVs

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
To be honest "movie" mode seems to dull the overall image, but my understanding is that it's a requirement for HDR.

If Samsung movie mode is the same as LG 'cinema' mode then that is their attempt at getting 'out of the box' settings that are as close as possible to calibrated picture settings.

I had my TV professionally calibrated and (laymans explanation coming up) the guy jacked the white levels down significantly - using the calibrated settings on windows makes a blank word page look almsot yellow

See if theres a pro calibrator near you, at least then you will know that the colours are how they are meant to look

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I went to look at the 65KS8000/8500, Vizio 65P-C1, and the Sony XBR65x850 in person at Best Buy. They had an open box XBR65x930 and matched the price of the 850 model of the Sony.

Got it home and it had terrible backlight bleed and clouding. So I went to return it today and to my surprise, they swapped it out with a brand new 930. They go for $2200 new. I was shocked and accepted their offer. This one is perfect. HDR content looks great. Blacks are as good as can be expected out of an IPS panel. Sports and fast motion stuff looks bad ass on this TV.

Last edited:

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
I went to Best Buy to look at the 65KS8000/8500, Vizio 65P-C1, and the Sony XBR65x850 in person at Best Buy. They had an open box XBR65x930 and matched the price of the 850 model of the Sony.

Got it home and it had terrible backlight bleed and clouding. So I went to return it today and to my surprise, they swapped it out with a brand new 930. They go for $2200 new. I was shocked and accepted their offer. This one is perfect. HDR content looks great. Blacks are as good as can be expected out of an IPS panel. Sports and fast motion stuff looks bad ass on this TV.
And your first thought is, "I'm surely going back there"
Instead of losing a customer, they bought a lifetimer. We all win!

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
And your first thought is, "I'm surely going back there"
Instead of losing a customer, they bought a lifetimer. We all win!

It'll definitely make me consider buying higher end open box items if they'll replace them with new items for the open box price.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
For my PC hooked up, I use WinVLC and it plays 10 bit h265 videos in HDR mode no problem, but again there is no way I can tell the diff between HDR on and HDR off. Its complicated even more by the fact that the 10 bit HDR standard is completely different from Dolby Vision, which is 12 bit color but I have yet to see a single encode done with it.

From your posts in the torrents thread on the subject I really don't think you have a full understanding of HDR on PC yet - being able to play files with HDR metadata included does not mean that your video card can send them to your TV/Monitor. It seems the software e.g madvr is ahead of the hardware currently

Your TV/Monitor would be switching to "HDR" settings/mode if it were receiving the HDR metadata.

Copy the same HDR files onto a USB stick, plug that into your TV and watch the HDR mode get activated - then see if there's a difference with the PC playback

gak

<Gold Donor>
The big issue is the source demos in stores are driven off USB drives and doing full 4k UHD HDR running at max mbit streams, you will never see that quality outside maybe UHD discs. Definitely not on TV shows.

Right, right, super high bitrate source, fuck I forgot.

Is there anyone that's compared 720p/1080i source football or hockey on QDOT / OLED and seen a difference in judder/blur ?

Thanks in advance !

spi_01.gif

Malkav

French Madman
Too bad we don't have the EPP thing here in Europe.

Ordered the UE55KS7000 (european reference for the UN55KS8000, they changed the numbers here weirdly).

1400€, taxes are a bitch.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Damn, that's like $300 more than I paid for a 65ks8500.

You euros are getting properly fucked

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Anyone ever have connectivity issues w/ their KS8000? We're starting to go through periods where it will connect to the different access points in the house successfully but not able to play youtube, netflix or amazon. Sometimes just youtube will work, while you can browse the catalog of the others and it just goes to a black screen when you try and play anything. Kind of feels like a bandwidth issue (yet, right now when it happens I can play 4k video on youtube, blah). Sometimes it'll play trailers, or it'll finally give an internet connection message but it's missing a bunch of characters in the message. Maybe I'll just factory reset the whole thing and give that a go. Some on support forums seem to suggest there could be DNS issues too.

spronk

FPS noob
no issues with my ks8000, don't really use the apps on it much but my wife does sometimes i think. you should use the google DNS servers on your router, they are

if you can't change your router you can of course still just set it directly on your TV. Also if you have an old router consider upgrading to a new one that supports 802.11ac, it runs over 5 ghz instead of the 2.4ghz that 802.11g does and is better about interference and stuff.

If you live in a dense neighborhood you could have a TON of wifi channels all around you nowadays

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
I fixed the general connectivity issues by unplugging the set for a few minutes. Still having a lot of choppiness w/ streaming though that's frustrating. Other devices connected to the same AP (currently moving over to some UniFi stuff, 2 APs up, Gateway will be here Tuesday) stream just fine (tablets, phones, etc)

And yeah, our wifi channels are pretty congested in my neighborhood, will continue to tinker and need to update DNS, yeah.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Is ethernet not an option? You're probably getting collisions. Are your APs in different channels?

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, even hardwired it's stuttering. Will try DNS and a new cable before starting to blame the TV probably. Also have a new router coming today too.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
So for a new TV under 2000 bucks... what would I be looking at? I'd prefer it to be 65" or so. No less than 55.

I don't do very much with it. Cable, Movies on Blu Ray, Stream Netflix/Amazon, XBone, WiiU etc

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I've had the KS8500 for about a month now and thought it has great picture quality, I resent the fact that TV vendors are making functionality dependent on what are essentially internal computers. I have enough OS quirks to deal with in regards to my computer and phone-- I just want my fucking TV to WORK. I've had the OS on the Samsung lock up a few times which required killing the power, and same with the VUDU app (hard lock). It's seems the only way to really "reboot" the OS is via pulling the plug, which is a serious pain in the ass when you have it wall mounted. Also, not a fan of the Samsung "One-Connect" box. It sounds great in theory, but for those of us that use HDMI switchers or run video over ethernet so that we only had to run one cable between rooms, it blows. Every time I switch from tuner to PS4 or vice versa, the TV thinks I changed the source on that input, and wants me to run a setup wizard to configure the source. Frustrating.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I hear you. I just want my TV to essentially be a massive high quality monitor. People usually run their own HTPC / Plex Server / etc that do the job a million times better than the built-in TV OS.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I hear you. I just want my TV to essentially be a massive high quality monitor. People usually run their own HTPC / Plex Server / etc that do the job a million times better than the built-in TV OS.

When I finally get around to replacing my old 32" 720p Sony, I'll be actively trying to avoid smart TVs if possible. None of that shit ever works as well as an external device anyway and manufacturers seem to just see it as a way of collecting more data about you.