HDTVs

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
It's not just Vizio though. Almost all smart TVs do it behind the guise of added features. Vizio was just stupid enough to have it turned on by default and not opt-in.

This is one of the reasons that if I eventually replace my 11 year old TV, I will avoid a smart TV if at all possible. I just want it to be a big dumb monitor that I will hook media devices to anyway.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
This is one of the reasons that if I eventually replace my 11 year old TV, I will avoid a smart TV if at all possible. I just want it to be a big dumb monitor that I will hook media devices to anyway.

Netflix smart tv apps offer features the website doesn't, like 4k, hdr and Dolby digital

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Netflix smart tv apps offer features the website doesn't, like 4k, hdr and Dolby digital

I've still got a 32" 720p TV, so that's not much of a concern right now. I imagine those features will be available on dedicated media devices like Rokus and such.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
4k HDR Netflix streaming is available on Xbox One S and Kaby Lake CPUs, I believe.

Without using the Kaby Lake iGPU, the DRM required will not function.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Personally, I think curved is another bullshit gimmick to sell new TVs. The only way it makes sense for a curved display is if you are close enough like a computer monitor where it curves in your peripheral vision. Most living rooms / HT rooms are so far away, it makes no sense. It is just sat on a wall 10ft away from you curved for no reason whatsoever.
Yeah, my dream PC setup would be a single 60" curved monitor on the wall behind my desk, that could be broken out into up to 6 side-by-side virtual displays.

It would also need to support 100hz or above and HDR in single display mode.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Personally, I think curved is another bullshit gimmick to sell new TVs. The only way it makes sense for a curved display is if you are close enough like a computer monitor where it curves in your peripheral vision. Most living rooms / HT rooms are so far away, it makes no sense. It is just sat on a wall 10ft away from you curved for no reason whatsoever.

I thought this too until I saw a proper comparison at Best Buy once. Not many seem to have them setup, but the extra depth the curve gives you actually looks pretty nice with a direct comparison, and hard to appreciate otherwise. Not that I'd ever recommend anyone get one still, but I see the point now.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I thought this too until I saw a proper comparison at Best Buy once. Not many seem to have them setup, but the extra depth the curve gives you actually looks pretty nice with a direct comparison, and hard to appreciate otherwise. Not that I'd ever recommend anyone get one still, but I see the point now.
I would guess it depends on where you are sitting in relation to the TV and how close. If you are in the middle and close enough that the screen takes up most of your field of vision, I think it would be a pretty cool experience, similar to the effect in some of the IMAX theaters. Otherwise though, it's probably a net negative.

Siliconemelons

Curved LG OLEDS are insane and nice - and yeah to get the increased depth feeling you need to be in its sweet spot - all TVs if your in front of them and focus and watch a movie in a dim room etc. your brain turns off everything around you - as long as there is not much movement - light etc. The curved TVs make your brain do this faster in a way that you may actually notice it happening - that's really all its doing.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Again, I assume you are stood right in front of the thing on display at the store. I have seen even the high end 80+ inch Samsungs on display and if you stand back at the view distance of your living room, I just don't see the benefit. (FWIW, I already have a 75" 9000 series Samsung)

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
All the people bashing the size have obviously never seen an OLED display.

I have the previous years model and $1600 is a ridiculous price, I paid probably double that for my 55" 2015 model
My 2016 55" LG OLED was right around $2500. This was purchased back in September. Maybe even October.

My screen is curved (and 3D). It looks incredible. I'm 100% pleased with this purchase every time I turn it on.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Picked up the KS8500 over the weekend and it's definitely a sweet TV for the price.. Only problems/questions I have about it are below..

1) Anybody find a way to program a DirectTV/Dish remote to open the app menu (Home button on Samsung remote)? It's annoying to have to keep the Samsung remote around for just that one important function..
2) Maybe I'm just not a videophile, but I can't see any difference between HDR video and standard 1080p HD video.. I know it's working because I get the HDR logo up top when I start playing HDR content (The man in high castle for testing) but I seriously don't see anything special.. For reference I have it in "movie mode" with standard settings.
3) Has anybody been able to output 5.1 via the optical when the input is HDMI? The TV is supposed to support it but my Sonos system keeps saying it's receiving stereo, and I can't even select "dolby digital" in the sound menu of the TV when the input is set to by Dish Tuner/DVR. If I use a built in app like Netflix or Amazon, the TV registers Dolby Digital and my Sonos indicates 5.1, so I'm assuming the problem must be with the Tuner, but it is set to transmit "Dolby Digital/PCM". The only thing I can think of is the fact that I use a Cat5 to HDMI extender to transmit to the TV, but I have verified that it is supposed to pass 5.1. This is driving me nuts.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Man in the High Castle has a *very* muted color palette befitting the tone of the show, and might not be the best test.

Is there an HDR copy of, say Guardians of the Galaxy available for stream or purchase?

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Man in the High Castle has a *very* muted color palette befitting the tone of the show, and might not be the best test.

Is there an HDR copy of, say Guardians of the Galaxy available for stream or purchase?

Yeah good point, tonight I'll try something else. Amazon labels their HDR content so it's fairly easy to find. To be honest I tried Jessica Jones first for about a minute, and when I didn't see anything special going on I tried Man in High Castle.. I'll try something with more special effects.. To be honest "movie" mode seems to dull the overall image, but my understanding is that it's a requirement for HDR.

gak

<Gold Donor>
I researched/recommended/bought LCD/LED's for everyone else in the extended family over the years because with their viewing habits I knew they'd get image retention/burn in with plasma.

However, for me I had to get plasma many years back because sports and movies looked like dogshit on anything other than plasma IMO.

Now however, I was recently in an A/V store and looked at the OLED's/Quantum dot 4k's expecting to see a massive difference.

I'm super-picky and unfortunately they didn't have sports to show, but on the TV shows and movie loops I couldn't tell a difference ? And the guy said the new QLED would be even better ?!

Am I going blind or has 4k Quantum dot basically caught up to 4k OLED without having to worry about image retention ?

Or is this a case of, "Watch full-screen-motion football or hockey on QDot and it's still juddery shit like the old LCD was..."

thrones-0876.jpg

spronk

FPS noob
You don't have to use movie mode for HDR. I don't know what input device you are using but for example for my xbox one S and PS4 Pro I have it set to game mode and UHD On in the video expert settings. I honestly don't notice a huge difference either, basically HDR ups the brightness up to like 20 automatically so if your brightness is a bit high anyways I doubt you'll notice anything. and yeah, this is all on games where the HDR logo pops on, for example the PS4 dashboard is NOT hdr enabled but Last of Us remastered or Infamous Second Light have HDR but I'd never know the difference except the little HDR logo turns soon after I start up the game. I'm not even sure how to get that top bar to show up again without turning the TV on and off :(

For video playing its a bit more complicated, you have to get the 10 bit version streaming in native 10 bit mode. No clue how to do that in amazon video, probably if you get HDR lit it in the amazon prime app its working. For my PC hooked up, I use WinVLC and it plays 10 bit h265 videos in HDR mode no problem, but again there is no way I can tell the diff between HDR on and HDR off. Its complicated even more by the fact that the 10 bit HDR standard is completely different from Dolby Vision, which is 12 bit color but I have yet to see a single encode done with it.

QLED is definitely really close to OLED, it could be better on some panels that have very high NIT ratings compared to lower for the OLED screens. The big issue is the source demos in stores are driven off USB drives and doing full 4k UHD HDR running at max mbit streams, you will never see that quality outside maybe UHD discs. Definitely not on TV shows.

I struggle to find any 4k content, while there are a few 4k amazon TV show rips they are mostly upscaled 1080p since the visual effects for TV shows aren't rendered at 4k. PS4 Pro games don't render at 4k either, they render at 1080p and upscale via checkerboard rendering. Its all a scam! :( Still looks nice though.

Last edited:

Inque

FunEmployed
I was not impressed with the K8000 or 9000 series outside of the cost nose diving via EPP. That said, QLED is coming this month from Samsung starting at $2300, and I opted the wait and see approach. Most of the upcoming panels for OLED through Vizio and Sony are... LG manufactured! QLED is a step up from the KS8000 series but still a back lit LED at heart. I bought the LG B6 today and I'm very pleased with it. If it came down to cost, go with the KS8000 otherwise just go LG. If you're not in a hurry, I'm sure RTings and AVSForums will have some early reviews soon.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I would have gotten a KS8000 but the viewing angle seemed terrible.

Didn't end up buying a TV this year but definitely will next black friday.