Headphones & Audio Devices

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Excuse the ignorance, but what is a DAC used for? This a headphone thing? If so how is it better than audio off the PC ?

My man, I'm in no way an Audiophile but you need to experience a good set of headphones with a DAC and an EQ setup properly, it is quite good.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
My man, I'm in no way an Audiophile but you need to experience a good set of headphones with a DAC and an EQ setup properly, it is quite good.
I game with a pair of Klipsch R-51PM 'bookshelf' speakers hooked up to my PC via a fiber optic wire. If my wife is sleeping I'll put on my PS5 headphones that connect via a USB dongle. Never really cared for earphones and all the recent 'headwork' makes it uncomfortable. I just see them reviewed a lot (techpowerup and the like) and figured they must be awesome for the cost or overpriced cult garbage like iphone/pad/anything.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I game with a pair of Klipsch R-51PM 'bookshelf' speakers hooked up to my PC via a fiber optic wire. If my wife is sleeping I'll put on my PS5 headphones that connect via a USB dongle. Never really cared for earphones and all the recent 'headwork' makes it uncomfortable. I just see them reviewed a lot (techpowerup and the like) and figured they must be awesome for the cost or overpriced cult garbage like iphone/pad/anything.

Like Hekotat Hekotat I am no audiophile, but having a good DAC and headphone setup is both a good value and dead easy. I've used a Schiit Hel with Sennheiser HD 599s for years now and it cost me around $300, maybe a bit less. It's certainly not top of the line, but it sounds great to me. Added bonus is no fucking around with speaker placement, running wires to them and all that. Plus the sound insulation in my building isn't great, so I'm not pissing off my neighbors.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team

I wouldn't spend more than a few hundred bucks on a setup but i always wonder what a really expensive amp and headset sound like.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user