Headphones & Audio Devices

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Brahma, I've decided on what I'm spending dumb gift cards and points on, can you please window shop <~$350 on a new headset setup for me?

Right now I have onboard sound (RealTek) and I am going to return my 4th pair of G930s because I just can't stand the stupid things disconnecting anymore. Looks like options on the wishlist are sort of circling around 558s ($100), 598s ($150), modmic 4.0 ($55), SB Z series($70/$100), FiiO DAC ($100), GameZero ($250), etc.? Seems like saying 'screw it' and buying the GameZero would be the easiest... but least open to later upgrade/changes. I still have my Audio Technica reference set as monitors so I don't mind having a biased EQ for listening on this set.

Do you have the SB Zx or just the Z by the way? I'm not sure if that little audio control module does anything useful and some reviews mention that it actually hurts sound quality from the on-board amp.

Thanks
Get the 598's and a ZXr, or 598's and a Schiit stack. Fiio is perfectly fine, and to be honest at that 100 dollar range they all sound the damn same. Especially with entry level headphones. May as well get something that looks good on your desk.

You will be hard pressed to find the Schiit stack used. So get the 598's used/refurbed via Amazon and you are within your budget. (Refurbs are like 80 bucks. Cant beat that)

Amazon.com: Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Headphones - Black: Electronics

Amazon.com: Magni 2 Headphone Amplifier: Electronics

Amazon.com: Modi 2 USB Digital/Analog Converter: Musical Instruments

I have the ZXr. The pod on the ZXr is useless. Just trash it. You can't even use it for a volume knob it's so bad. But the card IMO is the best bang for the buck, with a quality DAC and amp. The drivers are solid. Especially from Creative.

As for mics, that mod mic is the same as any 10 dollar clip on. Just more convenient, in that you can swap it with a couple headphones. It definately isn't worth 60 bucks sound wise...even though my dumb ass bought one.

I'm now a DAC/Headphone guy for gaming. So I would lean the Schiit stack. You really can't go wrong with either choice, nor the choices you listed.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
OK thanks, I ordered the 598s, modmic 4.0 and the FiiO E10K to start so I can use it on my laptop and WIN10 tablet as well.

Do you think I really need an SB Z series instead for the PC or is it more just price/convenience if you don't want an external DAC/amp? I don't use my PC speakers really and the OB sound seems fine for when I would.

Also, is the Schiit stack that much better than the FiiO?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
OK thanks, I ordered the 598s, modmic 4.0 and the FiiO E10K to start so I can use it on my laptop and WIN10 tablet as well.

Do you think I really need an SB Z series instead for the PC or is it more just price/convenience if you don't want an external DAC/amp? I don't use my PC speakers really and the OB sound seems fine for when I would.

Also, is the Schiit stack that much better than the FiiO?
I would say Price/Convenience, but on my PC the hum was annoying as hell from inside my PC. It was well worth the money.

No the Schiit stack is not that much better than the FiiO. I couldn't tell the difference in sound quality. You do not need an amp for the 598's. But you do get a slightly larger sound stage with one. For gaming I want a larger sound stage. Especially for FPS's. They (598's) do sound great regardless.

For 350 or so it will all sound about the same (long as you don't get junk). It's about convenience and looks IMO. The ZXr/598 is just as good as the Schiit Stack/598. Both are SLIGHTLY better than the Fiio/598 with no amp.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
OK, if I don't notice much difference I might just return the FiiO. I will try it out with my AT M50s and the HD 598s just to compare though.

I hope the quality will be a lot better than the G930s, but I do worry any DAC won't quite live up to my spoiled tastes:

rrr_img_122285.png

Can't beat straight analog with tubes sometimes.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So got the HD 598s in so far (used and actually damaged a bit but trying them until I get shipped a replacement tomorrow since I paid for new). They are fantastic even on RealTek audio.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
So got the HD 598s in so far (used and actually damaged a bit but trying them until I get shipped a replacement tomorrow since I paid for new). They are fantastic even on RealTek audio.
Welcome to the addiction bro.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I ove my 598s and think they sound noticeable better even through the E10k than onboard RealTek. Unfortunately my E10k is still out of commission and haven't come up with a solution, but I'm almost 100% convinced it is a windows thing.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
OK got the FiiO and started playing with it. Modmic is awesome, really easy to setup. I think you're right in that the mic quality isn't equal to the price/build quality, but it's fine.

Regarding the FiiO, is there any reason not to keep it dimed (ok eighted I guess) and modulate volume on the computer?

Thanks Brahma good stuff so far.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
OK got the FiiO and started playing with it. Modmic is awesome, really easy to setup. I think you're right in that the mic quality isn't equal to the price/build quality, but it's fine.

Regarding the FiiO, is there any reason not to keep it dimed (ok eighted I guess) and modulate volume on the computer?

Thanks Brahma good stuff so far.
Keep the PC volume at like 95%. Use the FiiO for your control volume, but never 10.

Rule of thumb is that whatever is the closest volume to the speakers/headphones should be the lowest volume. Another rule of thumb is that you set your sound to slightly less than max on the digital volume (I keep mine at 95%), and use the analog dial for any changes needed in volume. This will prevent any clipping and minimize distortion via the analog.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
OK that makes sense just wasn't sure if it mattered since it is digital output via USB.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Lowering the volume on the PC affects the dynamic range output to the DAC. It's kinda a pain in the ass because I'm not sure if that means master PC volume or per-application volumes too.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Goddamn, these HD598s. Even listening to MP3s it's no joke.
Cool right? Load up any of the more recent Battlefield games and you will be amazed in the sound quality difference from what you had, to have now.

It's night and day coming from gamer grade gear to audiophile in games and music. People swear it's all the same crap, and that is so far from the truth.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I had a folder of FLACs just sitting on my NAS for years. Never even bothered listening to them and actually deleted like 60 gig of mp3s about 6 months ago, but the FLAC were in another folder. Once I got my 598s and needed something to try out it was like whoa. If you are using fubar I'd suggest the WASAPI plugin to listen. There are a few good guides out there on reddit et all to show the configurations. It makes a difference.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Cool right? Load up any of the more recent Battlefield games and you will be amazed in the sound quality difference from what you had, to have now.

It's night and day coming from gamer grade gear to audiophile in games and music. People swear it's all the same crap, and that is so far from the truth.
In Battlefield especially it borders on cheating. The ability to accurately hear someones location gives you such a huge advantage. And forget the fake "3d sound" mimicking headphones. Set the game to stereo output with a good pair of REAL headphones and you'll destroy all.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is there a rating of popular headphones in a big list? Kinda like video cards? I'm curious how bad my Sony gold wireless headphones are, even though I think they are awesome, compared to say the 598s.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I just ordered 15 more modmic clips. Cable management is a disaster with the length of these cords right now.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Is there a rating of popular headphones in a big list? Kinda like video cards? I'm curious how bad my Sony gold wireless headphones are, even though I think they are awesome, compared to say the 598s.
Too many to list and too subjective. Plus too many genres to match em with. Plus gaming and music means you want a well rounded headphone.

Rule of thumb usually is that, if the manufacturer of your headphones or headset doesn't specialize in headphones, there will be a 99% chance there will be something in that price range better. Sony probably wont be better than lets say Beyerdynamic in the $300 price range. Though Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic is about taste and music type when compared at similar price.