Headphones & Audio Devices

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Try switching the jack you're plugged into. I had the same issue a while ago, finally figured out if I was plugged into the front jack on my PC everyone would hear my system sounds. Plugged into the rear jack it worked as expected. I never really troubleshot further because my headset cable was plenty long enough to leave it plugged into the back.
Thanks, I'll give it a try. I'm using a stereo to USB adapter because something is unshielded or my case is not properly grounded and I get an electric hum when I use my stereo ports. Nevertheless, I'll do some experimenting around with which ports I use for my headset.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Thank you. I will be buying a roll of 16 Gauge 100FT speaker wire and have them pass them around. I am thinking of going 5.1. My budget is around 1000$ and I will be mostly playing games/watching shows. Not a lot of music listening.

Why should I pass two wires to one spot? I thought each speaker needed 1 wire (already split in two)? I bought a face platehttp://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00K...A3MI752HIJW5ED, would I still need banana plugs?
It is two individual pieces of copper / wires. Not just 1 wire split it two. So kind of vice versa.

You can run all the wire to that faceplate behind your receiver, but you'll still need a shorter jumper to go from the plate to the receiver outputs. That plate says it takes all types of connectors. For instance if you had banana plugs on your wires you'd plug it in. If you have spades each terminal will screw loose, you slide the spade in, then tighten it. Likewise if you use bare wire you'll loosen it, thread the bare wire through the hole and then tighten it down. Then you'll have whatever termination on the equipment side. I'd look for a Youtube video or similar just describing the different types.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
For the life of me I can't figure out how to get Skype to stop playing my system sounds to the other members of the call. I've tried about everything I can think of (disabling all other audio hardware except the one currently in use, turning listen on/off, etc). After a couple hours of googling and trying other people's proposed solutions I'm no further along than when I started.

Have any of you guys had this problem before? Perhaps it's driver related?

Edit: I guess I should provide examples. When I'm playing dota and have an open skype call, they can hear my hero sounds, music, etc (and other games if i'm playing something like XCOM while waiting in the queue). Also any movies (VLC) or browser sounds (youtube) will be heard by the party on the other end of the skype call. It's not a situation where the mic is so hot that it's picking up the sound from my headphones. When I mute the mic on skype it stops playing the sounds (it just occurred to me that I haven't tested muting the mic on the headset).
do you have realtek?
Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Realtek HD Audio Manager (ofc if you have this driver), go at microphone and check Acoustic Echo Cancellation.

do you see "sound mix" anywhere? disable it

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone know a quick way to switch between headphones and speakers in windows? Right now I right click on the sound icon, playback devices, click the speaker, set as default. There has to be a quicker way. I would like to be able to use my speakers most of the time but quickly switch back to the headset for my softphone.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Why not set the softphone to headphones and leave the speakers as default ? Or if the softphone doesn't have an output option (I'm sure it does), set the headphones as default and manually setup your other stuff to output to speakers (if they have the option).

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Thank you. I will be buying a roll of 16 Gauge 100FT speaker wire and have them pass them around. I am thinking of going 5.1. My budget is around 1000$ and I will be mostly playing games/watching shows. Not a lot of music listening.

Why should I pass two wires to one spot? I thought each speaker needed 1 wire (already split in two)? I bought a face platehttp://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00K...A3MI752HIJW5ED, would I still need banana plugs?
If you have a Lowe's or Home Depot near you, you might check on their price of the wiring by the foot. Both stores have huge spools of electrical wire in varying gauges that you can just roll off and cut yourself and pay by the foot. Might be cheaper to go that way than buying pre-packaged wire.

I did that when I re-wired my finished basement, just rolled off about 150 feet of speaker wire. I can't remember the exact price but I remember it being about 25% cheaper than buying wire via Amazon or Monoprice online.

Myst

Peasant
I would like to buy my wife a new set of headphones. I know you guys recommended the Sennheiser 598 on many occasions, but has anything better come out around the price of 300-350$? Or are those still my best bet in that range?

Thanks!

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Do we have a speakers thread or can I use this one ? I'm thinking of buying a set of Yamaha HS8 monitors. They seem to get great reviews everywhere. Do I have other options in the 500-600$ range ?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've had my Sennheiser 598s for 3-4 months now. Love them. I feel bad for you Canadians, I got mine for $95 on sale via Amazon.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
For you damn Americans! They are unfortunately still going for 300$ CAD. Heck the 558 are still over 200$ here.

I am going to buy the 598 for 300$ regardless thanks.
I am also Canadian. Too bad they won't ship to a Canadian address. If you live close to the border it would be better to buy from amazon.com and just go pick it up.

I've had my Sennheiser 598s for 3-4 months now. Love them. I feel bad for you Canadians, I got mine for $95 on sale via Amazon.
Meh, no need to feel bad, I've seen certain headphones sell for lower than in USA. I bought my Beyerdynamic MMX300 for under 200 CAD (maybe 160 or 180? forgot).

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Do we have a speakers thread or can I use this one ? I'm thinking of buying a set of Yamaha HS8 monitors. They seem to get great reviews everywhere. Do I have other options in the 500-600$ range ?
Yes try the home theater thread. That seems to be where we discuss this kind of stuff. I just recently bought some Klipsch RP-260Fs and a 250C.

Home Theater Thread - Page 4

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I sometimes visit the local flea markets looking for old keyboards and other random shit. Today I found some mint condition 1985 Philips EM 6421 headphones. They look and sound amazing, the cable alone gives me a boner.

Fw5UQfL.jpg

4bvZfDn.jpg

8ZJBSKS.jpg

YG7qSST.jpg

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Okay guys, my piece of shit Skull Candy ear buds are finally on their last legs. Someone recommend a set of nice ear buds that don't get all fucky with the cables, I don't mind their ear buds but how their cables perform drive me nuts. Something preferably 50 bucks or lower. I do need the built in mic if possible.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Will my wife be able to hear the Sennheiser 598s at low volume if I use them in bed?