Headphones & Audio Devices

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This just in: company doesn't support software in products indefinitely and other common sense things

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, your mistake was getting speakers that need software.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I mean, bricking perfectly good speakers because you don't want to update them anymore is pretty pants on head

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I mean, they shouldn't let them brick for sure. That seems pretty crappy.

Decided I'm going to update all our Echos. Gonna get a dot with clock ,a regular dot and a Studio. Hopefully the studio is worth it. I was gonna subscribe to their HD music plan too but I don't feel like paying that much for it when I already have Apple Music free for a year. If amazon had a student plan for HD I'd do it but they don't.

Anyway, I'm gonna give my 1st gens to my mom and dad. My dad will think its a modern miracle to be able to listen to Merle Haggard just by telling something he wants too. Plus he has a lot of medical stuff and if he falls in his man cave he can just intercom to my mom in the house that he needs help. He usually hates tech but I think he will really dig this.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
why do speakers need firmware updates? is there some spectrum of hertz that just got found or some shit?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
better wireless/bluetooth drivers come to mind. different tuning profiles

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I need a Bluetooth speaker that will live 95% of the time in wet, terrible outdoor conditions, with an expansive soundstage and musical fidelity that will sufficiently annoy my peons with my garbage taste in music. I’m looking at a Bose SoundLink Revolve+ because it will pair with the soundbar in my den.

I’m open to alternatives, price be damned, because I hate every one of my peons and they need to suffer terrible music.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I'm not sure about the Resolve+ but I had the Resolve for awhile and wasn't that impressed. The sound was ok but the bluetooth connection was awful

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
For starters go full digital and head over to the FoH headphone thread for DAC ideas . I always had funky shit happen intermittently to audio when I used analog onboard or PCI(e) audio. Never again. Now I use hdmi audio (to digital reciever) or Toslink optical to a DAC that plugs to my Analog audio components.

So, what would I need to look at to achieve:

Audio out from two PC's being able to be mixed together, and the ability to output that audio to either a set of powered speakers via 3.5mm or bluetooth, and switch back and forth between those speakers and 3.5mm headphones? And all without getting tainted by the EMI from the cases? One case has spdif but the other doesn't.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
So, what would I need to look at to achieve:

Audio out from two PC's being able to be mixed together, and the ability to output that audio to either a set of powered speakers via 3.5mm or bluetooth, and switch back and forth between those speakers and 3.5mm headphones? And all without getting tainted by the EMI from the cases? One case has spdif but the other doesn't.
Not quite sure what your specific usecases are or what audio & bluetooth equipment you have. But if youre trying to transmit the audio to Bluetooth (digital) after the mixing (analog in my example below) stage its probably not worth the cost and effort to mix (see 5).
If you want to mix audio out from 2 pcs and output to analog, and youre getting trouble with noise from onboard/soundcard mixing the audio I would suggest:

• 1) Use a DAC(s) to get a nice clean analag signal(s) . Something like S.M.S.L m3 and pass the analog audio out to mixer or amp/reciever and headphones. USB dacs might be another option (never tried one myself)
  • 2) mix analog signals with cheap mixer.
  • 3) connect mixer to the rest of your analog audio setup
  • 4) If you get noise from the analog out on the PC without spdif perhaps you can get a motherboard audio spdif header card for it? The circuitry is often there but they save $ and space on the IO plate.

• 5) If you want to play PC sound on bluetooth headphones/speakers for audio, find USB device like Avantree Leaf. Plug the USB stick manually to the PC you want to listen to, then route the audio from your application to the USB adapter. I use an Avantree Leaf.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I previously had some Plantronics BackBeat Fit wireless headphones for listening to music while on the plane travelling. It seems they've shit the bed, though (and apparently I just missed a class action suit because the product was incredibly shitty), so now I need something new. Any recommendations for some wireless headphones that aren't too large and easy to pack? Inexpensive would be nice as well, since I'm not going to use them terribly often and I don't need crazy water/sweat protection/noise cancellation/etc. I'd use my old wired headphones, but Apple is fucking retarded (I'm sorry, they're stunning and brave) and I don't have a jack anymore.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I previously had some Plantronics BackBeat Fit wireless headphones for listening to music while on the plane travelling. It seems they've shit the bed, though (and apparently I just missed a class action suit because the product was incredibly shitty), so now I need something new. Any recommendations for some wireless headphones that aren't too large and easy to pack? Inexpensive would be nice as well, since I'm not going to use them terribly often and I don't need crazy water/sweat protection/noise cancellation/etc. I'd use my old wired headphones, but Apple is fucking retarded (I'm sorry, they're stunning and brave) and I don't have a jack anymore.

A couple months ago, maybe right after Christmas?, Best Buy was selling the last gen of Beats for like 50% off. Initially avoided them b/c it just felt like paying a premium for the Beats name but I've been really happy. Wireless, have the over the ear option, and the sound really isn't bad. A little bass-y but it is what it is.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>

These get good ratings, cheaper versions available as well.

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Awesome, just the thread I was looking for <3

I need a pair of bt headphones for my 2019 sammy tv, watch movies/netflix evenings and not annoy the wife/kids/neighbor. Was wondering what you guys use for this kind of setup? Basically looking to direct bt connect to tv, no middle station or other bs.

Saw a youtube vid on how to enable the pairing of bt headsets, aka remote key combo for some hidden menu, to enable audio devices other than soundbars etc. Was thinking it would be good with, I donno, Sony M3 or Bose nc 700 headset. Is that overkill, mebbe? The sony m4 is comin this year, so hoping for a deal. Dont think I really need nc, or do I? Not conf calling or using it any other place than home. Or is, say, sennheiser 450 bt enough? Also looked into shareme or whatever it’s called, 2 bt headset on one tv. No idea if it’s standard with bt v 5.0? What do you guys use for tv watching?

What is okay for a non-audiophile, looking to watch a movie, and not feel it totally sucks?

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I love my Sennheiser PXC550s, but you probably don’t need to pay the extra for the noise canceling feature.

• 1Like

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
I use:
(1) Wired Sennheiser 598. Quality wise great sound, but usually overkill for TV/movies. More comfortable for longer listening/watching sessions.

(2) Sennheiser BT 4.50 through Avantree BT USB stick for wireless bluetooth. No noise cancelling needed, waste of $ unless you have good reason to get already.

Would recommend BT4.50 quality perfect for affordable not too discriminating TV watching experience provided you find em comfortable enough.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I use:
(1) Wired Sennheiser 598. Quality wise great sound, but usually overkill for TV/movies. More comfortable for longer listening/watching sessions.

That's what I have, I handed off my 518's to the GF's PC. The extended listening on the 500 series Senn's is so good, they're lightweight with great sound. Effortless 10+ hrs sessions.

This is all on the onboard audio in "headphone mode." Next step is the schiit stack some day.

• 1Like