Health Problems

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Xar: Its probably the rare blood disorder that does that, same happened with me an ODDD even though it actually raises male life expectancy a decent bit. (no instances of heart disease or attack with ODDD to date is likely the primary reason)

I think the actuaries get nervous about anything rare and don't want to risk being wrong.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
So, my health problems are still fun. I have Multiple Sclerosis, Rheumatoid Arthritis and a blood disorder called Factor Five Leiden (the opposite of Hemophilia... I clot easily).
I found out yesterday that no life insurance company will touch me with a 10 foot pole. That's really fucked up. None of my issues lower your life expectancy rate. Insurance is bullshit.
Aren't they supposed to allow pre-existing conditions? I know they use loopholes to stop actual coverage, or pay less (out of network, etc.).

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I go in for chemo cycle 5 of 6 on Monday. Pretty excited to almost be done. This cycle was the absolute worst of all of them so far.

My doctor said (most likely lying) that number 4 is the worst for everyone she has talked to and that 5 and 6 are easy. Not buying it but we shall see.
Found out Tuesday that my mom's colon cancer has spread throughout her lymph nodes all over her body. Pretty bummed out. :/

Vaclav

Aren't they supposed to allow pre-existing conditions? I know they use loopholes to stop actual coverage, or pay less (out of network, etc.).
He said life insurance, bro. Stuff like that doesn't apply to life insurance besides a few companies with terrible ratios.

Vaclav

Found out Tuesday that my mom's colon cancer has spread throughout her lymph nodes all over her body. Pretty bummed out. :/
Not too familiar with cancer. I know any spreading is bad, but is that one of the incurable stages? If so, my sympathy - otherwise I hope she's a fighter.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So, my health problems are still fun. I have Multiple Sclerosis, Rheumatoid Arthritis and a blood disorder called Factor Five Leiden (the opposite of Hemophilia... I clot easily).
I found out yesterday that no life insurance company will touch me with a 10 foot pole. That's really fucked up. None of my issues lower your life expectancy rate. Insurance is bullshit.
When I applied for life insurance at my company there was a limit ($350,000) before they required you to disclose any pre-existing conditions. If we wanted to move up to the $500,000 plan then I'd have to get checked out by a doctor and probably denied. Is your case different?

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Not too familiar with cancer. I know any spreading is bad, but is that one of the incurable stages? If so, my sympathy - otherwise I hope she's a fighter.
She's a tough old broad.

One thing that's encouraging is that her endocrinologist told us that he 'doesn't treat dying patients'. We'll find out more next Tuesday.

Meanwhile, I'm headed to the doc today for a pre-surgical consult. They want to remove my left ventricular and atrial leads, and replace them. My LV lead has been off for a month, and I haven't felt this good in quite awhile, so I'm not really looking forward to the procedure.

Disp_sl

shitlord
Do you have any option to purchase coverage through work? There's typically no underwriting with group plans.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Usually when its spreading not locally but over the whole body its basically death sentence, although in very rare cases you would catch it by some chemo therapy at really early stages.
When its still contained in only lymph nodes there should be some hope.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I appreciate the info. Even if it's not very uplifting. I'll be having a long talk with the Doc next week.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
He said life insurance, bro. Stuff like that doesn't apply to life insurance besides a few companies with terrible ratios.
Woops. Missed the 'life' part of it, haha. As Dyvim mentioned, the spreading of cancer is never a good sign. If it's literally metastasized toeverysingle lymph node, that will be rough. I'm sorry man. Hopefully the oncologist will have some idea. :\ (Did he give a prognosis?)

lindz

#DDs
Do you have any option to purchase coverage through work? There's typically no underwriting with group plans.
Coverage through work is usually an incredibly small amount. I think my husband's company offered us $250k. Typically not enough to really provide you any real support. I think most people get their own insurance in addition.

There are some companies that will still provide coverage for high risk clients, but they are rare and will make you pay crazy amounts.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Woops. Missed the 'life' part of it, haha. As Dyvim mentioned, the spreading of cancer is never a good sign. If it's literally metastasized toeverysingle lymph node, that will be rough. I'm sorry man. Hopefully the oncologist will have some idea. :\ (Did he give a prognosis?)
He hasn't gotten the latest cat scan.

I also found out today that my Indian anesthesiologist does not pick up English sarcasm.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Work coverage is usually limited to a multiple of your income on life insurance. Many places will give you a basic amount like 50k and when you go for supplemental you're still required to pass a health screen. Some will have a true group policy which will bypass the health screen. All depends on what your company offers.

Private coverage while terminal or sick is very difficult to obtain except through a group of some sort. Not impossible but difficult and likely expensive should you find it. When your young and even up into your 50's term coverage is pretty cheap. If you want it, get it before you find out you need it. Even if its just enough to cover a mortgage that is a huge boost to the surviving spouse who is in a world of hurt.

Gravy, sorry to hear about your mom. Cancer is a bitch, wish you and your family the best and hope they can get it under control for her.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So I did chemo 5 of 6 yesterday. It was rough. They usually give me an IV anti nausea I med that works the entire day. This time they had to give me some more at the end.

I only have one more to go in three weeks I just need to survive until then!

Oldbased

> Than U
He hasn't gotten the latest cat scan.

I also found out today that my Indian anesthesiologist does not pick up English sarcasm.
Shelly's Neurologist is Iranian birth but something else part of his life before american. She calls him Dr. Isis and he has a killer sense of humor.
I guess humor varies from the foreigner doctors. On another note they seem to be about 400% better than american born doctors.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
My oncologist is Colombian and only gets my humor half the time. The German doctors never ever got a joke and I like to joke around a lot with my doctors.