Hearthstone

Elerion

N00b
Sealed in MTG is limited in duplicates because one pack can't contain two of the same card. Furthermore, you can't pick and choose.

In draft, you could certainly pick up 6+ copies of some card if it was bad enough to be frequently passed.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The thing about magic is that it can truly be called random. Nothing can beat physical hands on randomness to computer generated rng function.
Physical decks are generally insufficiently randomized. You're an idiot. What you're thinking of as 'random' is actually 'evenly distributed,' which is actually the opposite of random.

Physical hands are more evenly distributed because people seed their lands back into their deck in a distributed manner and then shuffle them a statistically insufficient number of times.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Sealed in MTG is limited in duplicates because one pack can't contain two of the same card. Furthermore, you can't pick and choose.

In draft, you could certainly pick up 6+ copies of some card if it was bad enough to be frequently passed.
Sealed in MTG is also based on pack 'runs' where if you get a given common in a pack you're much more likely to get the other cards next to it on the print run. So if you get 3 Chandra's Outrages in your pool you're also likely to get 3 of the other cards next to Chandra's Outrage on the sheet.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Physical decks are generally insufficiently randomized. You're an idiot. What you're thinking of as 'random' is actually 'evenly distributed,' which is actually the opposite of random.

Physical hands are more evenly distributed because people seed their lands back into their deck in a distributed manner and then shuffle them a statistically insufficient number of times.
You know, I didn't really think about it, but that makes sense why I would get mana screwed/flooded half my games in magic:2014 and I didn't remember it being nearly that bad when playing with the printed cards.

Elerion

N00b
Sealed in MTG is also based on pack 'runs' where if you get a given common in a pack you're much more likely to get the other cards next to it on the print run. So if you get 3 Chandra's Outrages in your pool you're also likely to get 3 of the other cards next to Chandra's Outrage on the sheet.
Yeah, in my wannabe pro days I used to memorize print runs so I could see what the person next to me in the draft probably picked. That was in Urza, I think they used fewer different runs back then.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Whatever. No need to be a dick.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Wow. So I love deckbuilding and I like getting the chance to play with as many cards as possible. So I make decks based around what packs I've opened from arena prizes. If I get tons of Shadow damage I make a Shadow Priest, if I get lots of Rogue combos, I make a Rogue combo deck.

So I noticed I had all the Hunter traps and 2 Secretkeepers so I made a Hunter deck last night and started playing a few casual games with it. Noticed I was dominating everyone and so I moved to ranked. I quickly went from rank 9 to rank 4 with this weird ass deck that I just threw together cos I hadn't played Hunter in ages and I wanted to play as many of the legendaries I own as possible haha. Here it is: (absolutely destroys Murlock agro unless you draw 2+ legends in opening hand. secretkeepers wreck them. Freezing trap on Flame imp is lul, bow kills a minion every turn, easy to kill blood imp, etc). It also seems to dominate various versions of Giant decks, because they either can't get low enough life or because you have nothing for them to really control.

x2 Freezing Trap
x2 Explosive Trap
x2 Misdirection
x2 Snipe
x2 Explosive Shot
x1 Deadly Shot
x1 Arcane Shot
x2 Summon Companion
x2 Secret Bow
x1 Multi Shot
x1 Kill Command
x1 King Krush

x2 Secretkeeper
x1 Faerie Dragon
x2 Defender of Argus
x1 Gadgetzen Aucioneer
x1 Alexstrasza
x1 Ragnoros
x1 Ysera
x1 Leeroy Jenkins
x1 Gruul

Lol don't ask me. I pulled a Gruul last week and wanted to find a way to use it. Pulled an Alexstrasza last night and popped it in this deck just to play with it. Finally was able to craft a Ragnoros, so wanted to play that as well. This deck is really fun. It easily stalls till legendary time and there's enough of them that they usually won't have enough removal. Dunno how I'm winning so much, but it's actually pretty good. With some refinement it might actually be properly competitive. If I had a Thalanos I'd pop him in in place of Gruul, but I've actually been having some pretty good fun with Gruul, believe it or not. It's basically the old OTK, but with a little more patience and legendaries as finishers instead. Can't even describe how good it is to draw Secretkeeper early + Bow + 2 Secrets + an Argus, can hold the board forever. Secretkeeper seems underrated for certain classes, she's pretty much always a 1 mana 2/3 for me, sometimes better.

Haven't been playing much because how upsetting it is to me that this game could be so much better and has so much potential. I really do love the game and that's what pisses me off the most. Arena RNG is just unbearable. Not fun anymore. So I do weird constructed decks. Got a really funny Warrior deck I've had 3 friend requests with yesterday just to tell me it was fun to play against.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
^That. Really anyone who goes infinite arena is by definition at 70% win rate or higher (7-3 is 70%, so that has to be your average). It might not be easy, but it is doable.
I pretty much go infinite (with the quest each day, I am infinite. as in, I was doing at least 6 arenas a day, sometimes 10) and it STILL infuriates the fuck out of me.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm mostly 4-3 or 5-3 in arena so far and still love it. The variation is way more enjoyable than constructed so far. I am low level and have no cards and I STILL just run into the same decks over and over again in constructed.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I'm the same way albiet with a slightly better record. I just haven't been lucky enough with my packs to really dig into constructed. Meanwhile my friend gets golden Tirion and Prophet Velen in the same pack. Wanna talk about random luck.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I'm the same way albiet with a slightly better record. I just haven't been lucky enough with my packs to really dig into constructed. Meanwhile my friend gets golden Tirion and Prophet Velen in the same pack. Wanna talk about random luck.
Yeah the system they have now is quite the shame, really. I only enjoy constructed when I have enough cards to build interesting decks, but with RNG you can get fucked sometimes. There are so many key cards that are really expensive to craft. Then you get x2 Far Sight as your 2 epics out of 15 packs and x2 Ancestral Spirit, etc. etc. and waste a ton, and/or get everything in 1 class, but none in others. I have x2 of every Paladin rare, but none of the epics, which are arguably the best class epics in the game (as in, every class gets 3 epics, the Paladin 3 are by far overall the best). Or I have all of the Shaman epics, one of my least favorite classes for Constructed, but none of the Druid ones, one of my favorite.

I usually enjoy constructed every 10 or so packs of Arena and I build as many decks/classes as I can, get bored and have to wait again. Luckily I was doing really well in the first 2-3 weeks of my account and playing a lot that I got a lot of cards and got quite lucky. I have 8 legendaries on my account, all from free arenas I've done since I started the account around 4 weeks ago. But missing a ton of key cards is rough. It is fun to go look at what you can build every 10 packs or so, I just wish the system for earning gold/packs/dust made more sense, cos right now it's totally counterintuitive and ironic.

I really wish they'd add a quest that let you trade 1:1 any common/rare/epic/legendary once a week. It'd do the game a LOT of good and only help everyone.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
New "season" started today, yay?....
Right now with the reset it is MUCH more competitive. Things will even out over the next few days of course but, right now, you will be playing some brutally tough opponents. Rush seems to be pretty dominant right now since they lead to fast games.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Piece of advice, if you're going to be playing ranked tonight, you want a deck that can deal with Aggro Rush and Mages (and Mage Aggro Rush...). I started playing mages a lot early and switched to my Druid deck. Since then I've played 5 mages in a row and beat them all. Still very long and drawn out games.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Seemingly your mmr does not reset only your rank, trump is facing all net decks in the 25-20 levels, means going to take 400 wins to get to legendary.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Seemingly your mmr does not reset only your rank, trump is facing all net decks in the 25-20 levels, means going to take 400 wins to get to legendary.
I'm not quite sure I understand what you're trying to say. I was under the impression that Ranked did not go by MMR until you hit Legendary and then MMR kicked in. Casual also has MMR. But while climbing the Ranked ladder, there is no MMR and you're paired against people based on rank. Am I misunderstanding this?

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
You are still matched up based on a hidden mmr at all ranks, not just legendary. I could be wrong about mmr not being reset though, ladder would have to be brutal right now and trump very unlucky though.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
You are still matched up based on a hidden mmr at all ranks, not just legendary. I could be wrong about mmr not being reset though, ladder would have to be brutal right now and trump very unlucky though.
Gotcha. I think it has more to do with hardcore people trying to rank up again more than MMR not being reset.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Nope, there's just retards playing netdecks constantly now - just ran ~5 matches before heading out in a sec - every single deck (at rank 25-24) I ran into I knew every card in the deck as soon as I saw the avatar up after the load. Not just netdecks but the ideal "I've got all the legendaries for the deck" versions at that.

Even my wife with her terrible win-loss rate was facing them in rank 25. And she usually takes 2-3 hrs to knock out her quest each night even for the easier ones.