Home buying thread

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
You get fined if it's enabled and not inspected.

This isn't a lie. My dad had an elevator in his beach house, and he always complained it wasn't worth it in the end because he would spend over $1,000 a year just for inspections on it.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Ahh, okay. Thought I recognized my handy work; I worked on the public facing property data stuff. (not tellin ya which, some is us some ins't)

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
getting close to pulling the trigger on my first home. any tips on finding the best available interest rate?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
wife and I gonna move to either Topeka or Lawrence, KS, houses are cheap just gonna flat out pay for one from savings. In either town i found out all the affluent white ppl live on the west side of town, the middle/city is mexicans, the east side is blacks, north is crime and south is rednecks. It's a relocation move, so we're gonna use the company approved buyer agent.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
So, housing market in Denver has been going all kinds of cray cray. The place I bought 2.5 years ago has doubled in value. As a result I am planning to sell and relocate to a smaller (and cheaper) place to drive my mortgage to almost nothing. Problem is places are going under contract almost as soon as they go up.

Siliconemelons

So, housing market in Denver has been going all kinds of cray cray. The place I bought 2.5 years ago has doubled in value. As a result I am planning to sell and relocate to a smaller (and cheaper) place to drive my mortgage to almost nothing. Problem is places are going under contract almost as soon as they go up.

If the place you are looking to move has done the same thing - in terms of increase value - then it can be difficult - my house has increased quite well, but moving anywhere we would want to move, without going and getting new jobs and moving far away - would just yeild us a very similar house and price...so while its nice to think of having 100k+ in equity, it kind of is useless.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
If the place you are looking to move has done the same thing - in terms of increase value - then it can be difficult - my house has increased quite well, but moving anywhere we would want to move, without going and getting new jobs and moving far away - would just yeild us a very similar house and price...so while its nice to think of having 100k+ in equity, it kind of is useless.

I've crunched the numbers. If I sell now at 270 I pay off my mortgage 100% and get 120k after realtors and state capital gains tax. The places I am lookng at buying are 125-175k. Basically I am going to go from a mortgage of 125k to 5-55k.

Siliconemelons

I've crunched the numbers. If I sell now at 270 I pay off my mortgage 100% and get 120k after realtors and state capital gains tax. The places I am lookng at buying are 125-175k. Basically I am going to go from a mortgage of 125k to 5-55k.

Right, if you have an option that can significantly go down - or you can use your equity to fully pay for another house then it is great and an awesomely viable option.

But most people do not want to downgrade :-/ like my wife.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Right, if you have an option that can significantly go down - or you can use your equity to fully pay for another house then it is great and an awesomely viable option.

But most people do not want to downgrade :-/ like my wife.

If I wasn't ok with downgrading this would definitely have been a wasted exercise. I have way too much space at 1350 sq ft. The location is nice, which is why the equity is skyrocketing, but that's only going to last as long as the weed shops can't directly put their money into banks and investment portfolios. I just want to leverage the equity to have a much smaller monthly bill. I'm looking at places that are 750-1000 sq ft, which are priced appropriately less. The one I have my eye on right now (takes luck and fast signing to get places under contract right now) is 125k. If my place sells fast, I may be moved before the end of the month. If not, I will have to have a rider where they rent to me at $XXX per week/month until I can get a new place. But after I pull the equity out I will be able to offer cash + prequalified loan to close fast too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
All the weed money here goes to buying land and properties in the rural areas, and the city keeps getting more expensive. I think the calculation is working 70 hours a week at min wage here to be able to afford a shitty place to rent with room mates or something.

Working class is getting pushed wayyyyy out into the stix and Portland gives no fucks. They just want to drink starbucks and riot when some one assumes their gender.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Housing market in Western NY is absolutely insane right now with properties being sold within hours of it being listed. Looking to purchase my first house and it's been a hell of a time. I was originally looking at new(er) construction housing but found a property in a wonderful part of town (built 1954) that had been completely renovated. I was worried that this was going to be simply paint on shit bones, but appears they really went to town. Just like all the other properties around the area, I saw it on the first day and put in an offer 2 hours after seeing it. Felt awful going above ask (the way of the market here at the minute), but was able to get it. House hunting has been quite terrible, but glad to be almost done. Inspection on Tuesday (hopefully nothing too terrible) and if that all goes well we will close in 30 days. Happy days.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Inspection went well, these guys flipped a property the right way and didn't skip on anything major. If anyone cares to see it I'll link the property on Zillow.