Home buying thread

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Welp got my pre-approval done and all that and start being shown houses tomorrow. South OC is such a crazy market. Like homes which are 1300 sqft for $580k get snatched up in 3-4 days. My wife and I bucketed some homes into high/med/low interest (simply being on the list means we're quite interested in the property) two days ago and already 2/4 of the "high" buckets are gone. One is a home which has been on the market for 30+ days and has had a price cut but it seems really nice so we'll see that tomorrow and possibly learn why it is sitting.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vinen

God is dead
Searching for a house with an in-law that gets light (IE Isn't shitty basement windows) is annoying. Currently mulling over a 1880s Victorian that has had countless updates done to it (no full renovation) since it was built.

From the looks of it electrical and plumbing were completely redone so that is a +

Don't think we will get it (Too much house) so here is a link 511 Watertown St, Newton, MA 02460 - 6 beds/4.5 baths

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
So, housing market in Denver has been going all kinds of cray cray. The place I bought 2.5 years ago has doubled in value. As a result I am planning to sell and relocate to a smaller (and cheaper) place to drive my mortgage to almost nothing. Problem is places are going under contract almost as soon as they go up.

I'm looking to move to Loveland, CO and I can attest to the entire Denver Metro area is going bonkers, many properties climbing 50% in the last year. Wife and I are really torn now because this feels like bubble behavior all over again. Real Estate agents doing the whole "We are going to the moon!" routines again. Kicking myself for not buying two years ago when we first started thinking about it but wanted to wait for daughter to finish HS. Could have just bought the house and sat on it and saved a small fortune.

Now I'm wanting to sit and wait for a recession bubble pop that could take years to come, freaking sucks

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Welp. Put an offer in on a house last night, after damn near a year and a half of searching. Not a huge fan of the town, but the location is remote and isolated enough that it pretty much doesn't matter. Also, highway access will be about a 20-minute ride. Once on the highway, an hour to work? 2 bedrooms is why the house is so cheap and still on the market after 2 weeks. It has 1 extra room with no closet, so everyone should be happy as far as their own space.

The finished basement is the entire footprint of the house and opens via french doors to a tranquil scene with a nice fountain and woodsy backdrop maybe 15 feet from the house proper. This sold me on the house. The masonry prior to the woods is perfect. It would have been my style choice. It does need some edge work, but that is fine. The basement has a berber carpet and a drop ceiling that need to go...but outside of that almost zero work down there.

The owners also have in the basement a nice cedar lined room partitioned off that they use as a huge walk in closet. I will be putting my desk in there and decorating the fuck out of that room to look like a nice D&D setting! Least that is the dream. Won't take much work at all, just a good carpenter. Plus I need to figure out the ventilation.

I really hope they accept my offer. So tired of wasting my weekends on searching for a house. My second choice is in a town I HATE...but it has an inlaw apartment and damn near a lodge as the basement. 1st link is offer. 2nd link is the backup plan.

1968 Bay Rd, Stoughton, MA 02072 | MLS #72158053 | Zillow

258 W Chestnut St, Brockton, MA 02301 | MLS #72118136 | Zillow

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Bro, stay out of Brockton. Stoughton would be solid, maybe we can meet up at Town Spa for a pizza and beer?

If you need plumbing lemme know.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I'm looking to move to Loveland, CO and I can attest to the entire Denver Metro area is going bonkers, many properties climbing 50% in the last year. Wife and I are really torn now because this feels like bubble behavior all over again. Real Estate agents doing the whole "We are going to the moon!" routines again. Kicking myself for not buying two years ago when we first started thinking about it but wanted to wait for daughter to finish HS. Could have just bought the house and sat on it and saved a small fortune.

Now I'm wanting to sit and wait for a recession bubble pop that could take years to come, freaking sucks

If you look further north you might be able to find something decent. Do you need to live in Loveland for a job?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
If you look further north you might be able to find something decent. Do you need to live in Loveland for a job?

Wife's wants to work at hospital there , easy access to den airport and Estes park and daughter may go to CSU

Do you mean further north than ft Collins?

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Wife's wants to work at hospital there , easy access to den airport and Estes park and daughter may go to CSU

Do you mean further north than ft Collins?

No, that's a long ass drive. But check other cities to the north along I-25 or east and you might see prices go down pretty quick. North of Ft Collins is Cheyenne.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Update from my house hunt. Started viewing Last Thursday May 11th, offer on that day. Accepted May 12th, inspection May 16th, Loan approved May 18th from the lender. 30 day close. Just goes to show how insanely fast the process can be, I've heard so many horror stories.

Not too bad for a first home.

621 Edgewood Ave, Rochester, NY 14618 | MLS #R1044367 | Zillow

Best of luck bros in the house hunt.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Update from my house hunt. Started viewing Last Thursday May 11th, offer on that day. Accepted May 12th, inspection May 16th, Loan approved May 18th from the lender. 30 day close. Just goes to show how insanely fast the process can be, I've heard so many horror stories.

Not too bad for a first home.

621 Edgewood Ave, Rochester, NY 14618 | MLS #R1044367 | Zillow

Best of luck bros in the house hunt.
was this a flip? pics indicate family is no longer there, everything is brand spanking new, the places I'm looking at in Topeka, KS are slow ass movers, which a good and bad thing i guess, good i'll get a deal or something i really want, bad that when we move out, we'll certainly lose out. (unless we move cuz my wifes company calls for it, so that at least they'll insure 85% of the initial purchase price)

A county over to Lawrence the houses move quick, this is the more younger town, but so far we're choose the more rednecky town to be closer to work (10mins vs. 40min drive)

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
was this a flip? pics indicate family is no longer there, everything is brand spanking new

Yes, home originally built in 1952, guy who bought it flips for a living (which made me a bit nervous), but he did a wonderful job inside. Everything is brand new except for the 30 year shingle roof which is probably between 5-10 years old. The staging was really nice as well. I went over ask, as to not start a bidding war on the first day it was showing.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yes, home originally built in 1952, guy who bought it flips for a living (which made me a bit nervous), but he did a wonderful job inside. Everything is brand new except for the 30 year shingle roof which is probably between 5-10 years old. The staging was really nice as well. I went over ask, as to not start a bidding war on the first day it was showing.
yea he didn't skimp out, i'm sure he has deals on everything, but those appliances are banging.

whats the W&D situation? you provide your own there?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
yea he didn't skimp out, i'm sure he has deals on everything, but those appliances are banging.

whats the W&D situation? you provide your own there?

Precisely, provided almost everything for us except W&D. Basement is not finished or anything, but is the length of the ranch (like most ranches). No doubt they made a boatload of money off of this. It was a foreclosure that they blew apart, he was telling me that when they started the rehab, it was nightmare after nightmare so they just ended up doing the entire place. This is probably going to be one of the pricier houses on this road, which may effect resale down the road, but I'm over the moon.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Precisely, provided almost everything for us except W&D. Basement is not finished or anything, but is the length of the ranch (like most ranches). No doubt they made a boatload of money off of this. It was a foreclosure that they blew apart, he was telling me that when they started the rehab, it was nightmare after nightmare so they just ended up doing the entire place. This is probably going to be one of the pricier houses on this road, which may effect resale down the road, but I'm over the moon.
naw doesn't seem like it
354bfff334ddcf7ede042802225a08b6.png

Your place is comparable to the rest of the neighborhood, along w/ being an updated "modern" home, i mean i guess of course you guys are just gonna get a pair of matching W&D's? if they don't break down, it looks nice on the resell.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
naw doesn't seem like it
View attachment 140507

Your place is comparable to the rest of the neighborhood, along w/ being an updated "modern" home, i mean i guess of course you guys are just gonna get a pair of matching W&D's? if they don't break down, it looks nice on the resell.

I suppose you are actually right. No intention of this being a 5-7 year thing, but you never know. The plan is definitely to get a W&D to complete the set. Not much we have to do, but would love to start saving for a deck that can wrap around the gigantic tree in the back. Definitely feel a bit lucky we grabbed it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I suppose you are actually right. No intention of this being a 5-7 year thing, but you never know. The plan is definitely to get a W&D to complete the set. Not much we have to do, but would love to start saving for a deck that can wrap around the gigantic tree in the back. Definitely feel a bit lucky we grabbed it.
i was using CR to learn a bit on appliances if you want a link, 8mins each i think they covered lots of stuff

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
i was using CR to learn a bit on appliances if you want a link, 8mins each i think they covered lots of stuff
Much appreciated, I get deep into reviews before any decently major purchase and will definitely watch both of these. Many thanks

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
anyone have any opinons on newly built homes vs getting "worn in" homes?, we have a few that are completed but no one seems to be "biting" them, we've seen pics, my wife is out there next week and gonna see if theres an open house. It's like a 10-20$/ sq/ft premium for the newer houses, don't we get some sort of builder warranty?

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
anyone have any opinons on newly built homes vs getting "worn in" homes?, we have a few that are completed but no one seems to be "biting" them, we've seen pics, my wife is out there next week and gonna see if theres an open house. It's like a 10-20$/ sq/ft premium for the newer houses, don't we get some sort of builder warranty?

Purely anecdotal (I've renovated a few old and finished a basement in 5yo i live in) : In new homes the problems are unknown/tbd and in old homes they're apparent. New homes being incredibly easier to work on is a big point (hired people know this too).

I'm assuming by old you mean earlier than the 80s, I think around then you can count on anything then and newer to be typical modern construction.

I wouldn't sway too much either way over age, there's a lot of other stuff that's more important when buying a house imo.