Home buying thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Purely anecdotal (I've renovated a few old and finished a basement in 5yo i live in) : In new homes the problems are unknown/tbd and in old homes they're apparent. New homes being incredibly easier to work on is a big point (hired people know this too).

I'm assuming by old you mean earlier than the 80s, I think around then you can count on anything then and newer to be typical modern construction.

I wouldn't sway too much either way over age, there's a lot of other stuff that's more important when buying a house imo.
bitch that been around the block a few times, knows what she wants, while a virgin just lays there and we wait for shit to happen?

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
anyone have any opinons on newly built homes vs getting "worn in" homes?, we have a few that are completed but no one seems to be "biting" them, we've seen pics, my wife is out there next week and gonna see if theres an open house. It's like a 10-20$/ sq/ft premium for the newer houses, don't we get some sort of builder warranty?

We bought our house brand new. The builder warranty is barely worth the paper, honestly. I suppose if there is some major fuckup you are good but the normal shit that is going to happen is still on you.

Who the builder is and their reputation matters. Check into whomever you are looking at.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
We bought our house brand new. The builder warranty is barely worth the paper, honestly. I suppose if there is some major fuckup you are good but the normal shit that is going to happen is still on you.

Who the builder is and their reputation matters. Check into whomever you are looking at.
Also watch out for the upgrades with new home construction, took a buddies place from 270k to 360k pretty quick.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Saw homes on Sunday, offer submitted Monday and accepted Monday afternoon. Actually chipped a few K off the list which isn't terribly common. Moving to Laguna Niguel which is a bit further from work than I would like but the area is amazing.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Saw homes on Sunday, offer submitted Monday and accepted Monday afternoon. Actually chipped a few K off the list which isn't terribly common. Moving to Laguna Niguel which is a bit further from work than I would like but the area is amazing.
how horrible is the drive? would you be going against or with traffic?

Tenks

how horrible is the drive? would you be going against or with traffic?

It is basically taking highway 5 north. It is orange county traffic is bad everywhere regardless of direction but I should be able to hop off the highway before it gets horrible. I also can take a backroad highway or I can pay $2.50/way to take a toll road.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

Only thing I'd caution about moving a place like that is it kinda locks you into southern orange county for employment since driving up to the valley or west LA isn't really possible from there. That might be ok, but just throwing it out there since it's not a central location at all.

Tenks

If I'm not working at my current place I probably won't be staying in Orange County. There are other places and Aliso Viejo actually has a decent amount of tech. Along with Irvine of course. I'd never want to commute to LA from OC at all. North OC is pretty sketchy so I'd never want to live in like Tustin/Anaheim/Santa Ana.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My wife visited the new job site, guy was transferring to another site, says his house is up for sale if shes interested, i said no, we don't want to buy a house from someone you even remotely know. When that house fucks up, you just blame that guy, right?

Also his house seems over priced by 30k to the market, but he just put up his house.

If he doesn't sell his house in two months and has also lowered his price, i think wife and i might look for a less expensive house, so we don't lose out, if/when we move. (relocation will cover up to 85% of the purchase price) (well it's mostly assured we're going to move in 6+ years, no way 2 asians (+kids)could live in bum fuck Kansas)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
where do i find the specific racial makeup of a neighborhood? besides just an upper middle class area, i wanna be sure i'm the only asian household.

i've tried citydata.

Siliconemelons

guess it depends on what kind of asian... but asians usually are fine to live next to....

according to "Race" demographic, 3/4 of my household is asian heh

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
where do i find the specific racial makeup of a neighborhood? besides just an upper middle class area, i wanna be sure i'm the only asian household.

i've tried citydata.

I don't know about narrowing it down to the "only" asian household. But the racial dot map gives you a good idea of the racial makeup of an area.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I don't know about narrowing it down to the "only" asian household. But the racial dot map gives you a good idea of the racial makeup of an area.
cool
ff1bf78d6669ab4e468e8aff92751080.png

I'm colorblind, as far as i can tell, i can say NOPE to the right side of the map. (we were targeting the SW side anyway)

Last edited:

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
LOL that dot map makes my area looks like there's no land. Welcome to Waterworld.

Capture.JPG

Siliconemelons

The racial dot map is one of those things that really opens your eyes about the world once you start looking at it pretty carefully. It's shocking regardless of your ideas on race.

What I find hilarious is

"The racist south!" Is THE MOST MIXED while the waves of blue up there preach integration and tolerance and dundunuffins

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
Selling your house is the most stressful thing I've ever encountered.

And to be clear, I have three kids, my dad died 6 months after my son was born, my sister is a drug addict and was living with my mom...I mean I've dealt with some shit...

I am just in knots waiting for this stupid inspection (my house is 75 years old) and then the appraisal because the buyer is FHA.

I think I may have an ulcer.

Sorry for ranting but had to get it off my chest. They scheduled the inspection for Memorial day, effectively ruining my weekend. :(

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ok please bear with my noobiness, i haven't talked to our appointed realtor yet (company gave us a realtor whose out of town), a coworker just said he didn't want to buy a new house cause its more in taxes, this freaked my wife out.

I'm "thinking", he meant, you pay more in property taxes, (although he was saying it was like some secondary bucket of taxes b/c the house is new) and you pay MORE in taxes for a new house, b/c property taxes are calculated on what the house was bought at (which is going to be at least a 20-30% premium over an aged house, so your bracket will start out high) vs. an aged house that was bought 15years ago and is just slowly gaining value paying taxes based on what the house was 15years ago and slow appreciation.

am i wrong? he's saying like theres basically a "new house tax".

Also property taxes for all the properties i'm looking at is like 2,200 to like 4,500 depending on neighborhood it seems, is this high? we've literally rented forever, like on realtor.com
4ff0501263e34e696c3e410b6c044dc0.png

a14692d202de14b21e36ae2c3861720b.png

(we're just gonna buy the house outright, no mortgage), but all i gotta worry about is the)
  • property tax
  • home insurance
  • electric
  • gas
  • water/sewage
  • garbage?

That's all i have to worry about right?