Home buying thread

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It wouldn't surprise me if those stats are true. But keep in mind it's San Francisco - there ISN'T anywhere to build new shit, so I can't imagine it has anything to do with developers "running for the hills". Hell the last new building I saw go up is so close to the Bay Bridge it can't be more than 5-7ft max from building wall to bridge side. The rest of the Bay Area has plenty of room to build, it's just everyone wants to live closer to the higher paying jobs. Which is Silicon Valley and the city.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
It wouldn't surprise me if those stats are true. But keep in mind it's San Francisco - there ISN'T anywhere to build new shit, so I can't imagine it has anything to do with developers "running for the hills". Hell the last new building I saw go up is so close to the Bay Bridge it can't be more than 5-7ft max from building wall to bridge side. The rest of the Bay Area has plenty of room to build, it's just everyone wants to live closer to the higher paying jobs. Which is Silicon Valley and the city.
It mentioned that something like 35% of the SanFran by area is single family housing. Surely that wouldn't be the case if the marketplace was able to redevelop single family properties without having to jump through a million bureaucratic hoops.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Uhh I already said what the limiter was, the amount of available land is at a premium and the price that is wanted for it makes building for sale units a huge risk due to the prices that you have to sell at to recoup your investment. If the market turns at all and you haven't sold all of your for sale SFR's or Condos then you're fucked. If you are at all risk averse then you just won't do it, a lot of builders I've worked with for 10 years now are just entitling property and flipping it to the national builders as its easy money with no risk for them.

Picasso3

It does mention it only applies to buildings from before 1979 though, so I guess that wouldn't necessarily deter developers from building new projects. I dunno what else is limiting construction of new housing there, but there must be some reason.
can't afford plumbers

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Picking up our big closing check at the bank today and then that's it - closing in a couple days. A few sources on the internet recommended I bring a second bank check for ~$1000 in case of any errors - do you seasoned vets suggest this?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I don't know about putting an actual amount on the check. It's a check, just bring your checkbook and if the amounts are off you can just write one for the difference.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They probably asked for a certified cashiers check from your bank.

Just have the bank write the check for whatever amount you want, that's what we were advised to do and we did. The title company or whoever is handling the transaction will just refund you whatever the difference is at closing so it's not a big deal.

OneofOne

^^ They over-estimated a tad for us so there would be no issues. Got a refund of like $60 or so, so they were pretty close.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
He told us just bring the amount on our HUD-1 and bring a personal check in case there is some error. just called him.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
It's why I always recommend just to do wire transfers so you're not messing around with multiple checks. If your lender does prior to funding checks they will want to see where the closing agent received your funds from, if it doesn't match up with what you disclosed then they won't fund the deal.

lindz

#DDs
He told us just bring the amount on our HUD-1 and bring a personal check in case there is some error. just called him.
They gave me the exact amount for closing + downpayment on our HUD the day before we signed all the papers. We just brought a cashier's check for the exact amount.

We were also given the option of a wire transfer if we wanted, but I heard that some banks charge extra for it.

Oh and it was a little awkward to walk into my bank and have a check written for some huge amount and have them go 'congrats, but why aren't you financing with us?'. You didn't give me good rates you retards, deal with it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Hell, my wife works for a major bank and we didn't finance our house through them. They were too slow and their rates sucked once they did finally get back to us.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They gave me the exact amount for closing + downpayment on our HUD the day before we signed all the papers. We just brought a cashier's check for the exact amount.

We were also given the option of a wire transfer if we wanted, but I heard that some banks charge extra for it.

Oh and it was a little awkward to walk into my bank and have a check written for some huge amount and have them go 'congrats, but why aren't you financing with us?'. You didn't give me good rates you retards, deal with it.
Hah. Our bank is where we got financed, so it wasn't awkward - it was awkward carrying around such a large check though. I felt like I was a wanted man.

lindz

#DDs
Went by the house for a final walk through to make sure all repairs were completed up to our standard and everything looks good with the house.

Oh dear.

Repairs were fine, but the house is a mess. She was supposed to have everything completed by the time we got there (5:30pm the day before close) but the house was a disaster. She hadn't started cleaning, yard hasn't been touched in a few weeks and is covered in toys, trash and odd and ends everywhere. One room had this big ass bunk bed in it that apparently they painted around so when the moved it, the wall has a giant outline of a bed in bright orange. I was not impressed. I REALLY hope she can get everything done by 4pm today but it is going to take a huge amount of work.

Thankfully I have already booked a house cleaner and carpet cleaner for Thursday but it was still a little upsetting. Guess thats the one nice thing about moving into a rental; they are spotless with all repairs done.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
our walkthrough is tonight. Since the house was a complete rehab and completely redone we aren't worried. Nobody has even lived in the house in a couple years.

We asked him to secure the dishwasher... so hopefully he did that. That was our one request.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
How did it go lindz?

We just closed. Very smooth process, no extra charges or hidden stuff. They fixed all the issues in the house, really nice people overall.

Thanks for all your help bros.

OneofOne

Congrats man! Look forward to you guys joining us in the Home Improvement thread /wink

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Worst part of the entire move this weekend was someone broke my TV stand. Of all the pieces of equipment I wanted to utilize last night.. it was the goddamn TV. I had to go out and by another stand for our TV.. although, it is really nice and made of real wood and shit. Blessing in a $250 disguise.