Home buying thread

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Shit man, you have a house now. Wall mount that TV above a fireplace or something. TV stands are for apartments where you aren't supposed to drill into the walls
smile.png

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'll wall mount the next TV. I've always preferred a nice entertainment center in the living room.

Besides, I'd have to put all the wires in the wall (PS2, PS3, PS4, Wii, WiiU, Surround Sound, Cable)..

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wireless lag / bandwidth limits? Yea, no thanks.

Just get an AVR. Feed all your inputs to your AVR and let it do the switching for you. Put the AVR and components into a nice cabinet out of the way. Your TV will only have a power cord and 1 HDMI cable running to it.

lindz

#DDs
It went well. Incredibly busy, but the house is looking great. Thank god for my mother-in-law who was an angel the past week. She took care of the kids for like 5 days straight so we could get stuff done.

We've had a few annoyances with things that aren't working, but all in all, we're super happy. I feel so much more grown up now!

And omg I am in love with my Roomba. Our new place is entirely wood/tile downstairs and is a pain in the ass to keep looking clean. I am amazed at how quickly dirt and pet hair show up. Makes me even more disgusted with the carpets upstairs, But yeah, the Roomba is amazing.

lindz

#DDs
Question for anyone that knows something about the legality around all this stuff.

When you buy a house the Purchase and Sale agreement says the house must be in the same condition at closing at it was while it was showed. The house wasn't when we closed, but most of it hasn't been a big deal. A few repairs, some extra cleaning, whatever. The one big thing though is that in the month between showing and closing, they destroyed the carpets. Like... thy must have let their animals piss all over them, no litter box for cats, no outside for dog for the entire month. We had a carpet cleaner in here before we moved in and he did what he could but the carpets are ruined. We had the same cleaner do our rental house which was not in the best condition when we moved out and even after 3 years of wear, tear, kids and pets, the carpets look awesome.

Can we do something about it? I'm hesitant to contact my agent again because I don't want to bug her after closing, but the carpets are driving me nuts. I guess we can just pay to have them replaced, but it was not an expense we should have so soon given what we signed up for when we signed the PSA.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Question for anyone that knows something about the legality around all this stuff.

When you buy a house the Purchase and Sale agreement says the house must be in the same condition at closing at it was while it was showed. The house wasn't when we closed, but most of it hasn't been a big deal. A few repairs, some extra cleaning, whatever. The one big thing though is that in the month between showing and closing, they destroyed the carpets. Like... thy must have let their animals piss all over them, no litter box for cats, no outside for dog for the entire month. We had a carpet cleaner in here before we moved in and he did what he could but the carpets are ruined. We had the same cleaner do our rental house which was not in the best condition when we moved out and even after 3 years of wear, tear, kids and pets, the carpets look awesome.

Can we do something about it? I'm hesitant to contact my agent again because I don't want to bug her after closing, but the carpets are driving me nuts. I guess we can just pay to have them replaced, but it was not an expense we should have so soon given what we signed up for when we signed the PSA.
Not a lawyer or agent, but I think you should have had a final walkthrough just prior to closing. Probably varies state to state though.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah you should have had a final walkthrough before you went to closing. Only other option is you could sue them maybe.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Right, we were told during our final walkthrough that it was basically our final chance before closing to bring anything up. After closing I think it's on you.

Source: Not a lawyer but used to watch a lot of Judging Amy.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yeah, I'm pretty sure once you take those keys you get the house "as it." State regulations may offer some protection but it is probably more of a question for your agent.

*I am not a lawyer either nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express lately.

lindz

#DDs
We had a final walk through, unfortunately it was at 6pm on the night before closing. We brought up the mess then (the previous owner hadn't finished cleaning at all) and we were told it would be clean by close the next day. Obviously the carpets weren't done. Probably our fault for just taking the keys the next day without having them come back in though. The whole first time buyers thing plus cleaners, movers and stuff already arranged that would cost us a ton to cancel kind of persuaded us into thinking it wasn't as bad as it turned out to be.

I've emailed my agent to see if we can do this without legal action but I'm not hopeful. I'm not sure if we'll try to take them to small claims or just suck it up and do it ourselves.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
We had a final walk through, unfortunately it was at 6pm on the night before closing. We brought up the mess then (the previous owner hadn't finished cleaning at all) and we were told it would be clean by close the next day. Obviously the carpets weren't done. Probably our fault for just taking the keys the next day without having them come back in though. The whole first time buyers thing plus cleaners, movers and stuff already arranged that would cost us a ton to cancel kind of persuaded us into thinking it wasn't as bad as it turned out to be.

I've emailed my agent to see if we can do this without legal action but I'm not hopeful. I'm not sure if we'll try to take them to small claims or just suck it up and do it ourselves.
Probably not much you can do once you take the keys and sign the closing. In my opinion if I had did a final walkthrough the day before closing and stuff was as messed up as you said, I would of delayed but then again I can understand if you had all that stuff already scheduled. Who told you it was going to be clean the next day, the seller's agent? If so you may have a case to perhaps recoup some costs but it may not be worth it in the long run.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Probably going to end up eating that then I imagine. Definitely let your agent know how you feel about that though. It is your agent's job to look out for your interests on matters like this.

lindz

#DDs
Our closing went a bit different. We signed all the paper work the previous week - 9 days before closing. We were allowed to do a final walk through 5 days in advance though the seller asked us to wait until the evening before. She called my agent in a panic an hour before we got there saying she hadn't had time to finish and she'd finish the next day. The next day we pushed back the closing time by several hours even though the bank was good to go because she was still not done. When we got there, their agent didn't even show up, just left the keys in the house. No signing anything else or looking things through, just an empty house with keys in it.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Did you get a really good deal? I would have backed out over the signing papers early thing. Is it because you don't have a local title company or something?