Home buying thread

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It's just the area. Taxes are stupid. My payment was $1939/mo on a $250k mortgage until I refinanced to a 10 year and got rid of my PMI and now the payment is $2700/mo. My taxes are $8k/yr.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Vinen thinks anything outside Boston is poop, but my town is really nice. It's just next to a shitter. I could never live in Cambridge, just driving through makes me want to kill people.

Taxes are high in Somerset because they were going to close the power plant. It's expected to go way up when they actually close it.

Vinen

God is dead
Vinen thinks anything outside Boston is poop, but my town is really nice. It's just next to a shitter. I could never live in Cambridge, just driving through makes me want to kill people.

Taxes are high in Somerset because they were going to close the power plant. It's expected to go way up when they actually close it.
My wife and I are looking for a 2 family in Cambridge since her parents are moving in with us. Time to buy a piece of junk for 1m!

Like fuck we can afford something that's functional in Cambridge. We don't work for Google
frown.png
:emoji_nose::emoji_nose::emoji_nose::emoji_nose::emoji_nose::emoji_nose::emoji_nose:((

PS: Drinks

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>

You live in Somerset? Holy fuck dude, you're closer to Mist than you are to Boston. You really drive 50 miles to Cambridge?

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Now I take the train. Believe it or not 50 miles is not bad, but 50 miles into Boston is AWFUL.
Train is good, but 50 miles is insane dude. I'm not saying move into downtown Boston or anything but are there not decent jobs out near where you live, or in Providence? Looking at the map you seem like you're in a suburb of Providence not Boston.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I tried Providence but then I'd be paying taxes in both states, plus all the jobs are in Boston. Getting closer doesn't help though. Going up 24 towards Boston only takes 25 minutes, it's the traffic in Boston that kills you. Takes easily an hour on the 93 belt. Worst is leaving, that belt can take over an hour. If there's an accident forget it.

My field is very small, not a lot of firmware jobs around. Plus I have to stay 2 years and then I'm moving on unless I move up quickly. I'm following the 2 year plan for a few jobs.

Vinen

God is dead
Yeah I tried Providence but then I'd be paying taxes in both states, plus all the jobs are in Boston. Getting closer doesn't help though. Going up 24 towards Boston only takes 25 minutes, it's the traffic in Boston that kills you. Takes easily an hour on the 93 belt. Worst is leaving, that belt can take over an hour. If there's an accident forget it.

My field is very small, not a lot of firmware jobs around. Plus I have to stay 2 years and then I'm moving on unless I move up quickly. I'm following the 2 year plan for a few jobs.
Don't consider yourself that narrow.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
With no traffic it's an hour. With traffic it could be anywhere from 1 hours to 2.5. With the train it's about 1.5 but I can work on the train

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah it sucks, it is my life. I don't want to derail it further with how shitty my life is.

The funny thing is I usually don't complain about my commute, other people love to tell me how shitty it is though.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I lived at home for college and my original commute from my high school house was about 30-40 minutes. My parents then decided to move out into the middle of no where and for the final 3 years my commute was anywhere from 45 minutes but more often since I took morning classes (ie: rush hour) it took me about 1.5 hours mainly due to needing to swap to 3 different highways as opposed the the original straight-shot down I-71. It was horrible. Which is why I'm so reluctant to work downtown because my suburb commute is about 10 minutes.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yes, maybe I'm stubborn limiting myself to firmware, but I'd rather do what I enjoy and find cool instead of switching gears at this point. Hell, I might even make more money if I did something else. I don't really like this company, so 2 years is probably my max. Also, switching to something else would be tough, I've been programming in C and assembly for 4 or so years now with little exposure to much else - I'm also a computer engineer instead of computer science, so a lot of my schooling was in embedded/circuits.

All of the firmware jobs are around Boston (at the time I was looking). Maybe there's something in Providence, but at the time there wasn't anything. I even looked for firmware in general and not just UEFI BIOS - I just happened to find a UEFI BIOS job which is fairly rare.

Dream job would be moving to either Georgia to work at American Megatrends (they do almost ALL of the BIOS you see) or working at Intel, but that's too big of a change from MA.

My commute is shit, but I usually listen to music/audiobooks so I barely notice it.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Why is that too big a change? You got a few years before kids are in school and anchored and such.