Home buying thread

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Not saying you should leave right now but your fam can't spend 4 hours on a plane every few months so instead you must spend 750 hours a year commuting to your not-dream job? There's always trade-offs, living farther away makes it more difficult but also tends to make visits with fam/friends more meaningful and less bullshitty-split-the-family-arguing type of get-togethers. Just seems silly to say 'no, never' just because it's in a different city. Don't give up on your hopes and dreams like Obama did, noodle.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I really didn't hate my 90+ minutes each way commute on the bus (~2+ hours if I missed one of the two I had to take) before I had a car and whatnot, I used to actually read books and stuff.

More than a decade later I loathe the 35 minute (30 miles, almost all freeway... not even a lot of traffic really, just mindless) commute I have now. We've put the equivalent of $300/mo in maintenance into our 2000 Grand Marquis this year and upped my annual mileage driven by 4-5k.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Already know you don't like the new gig? You've only been there about a month or two right?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah I'm just not feeling the vision like I did at the old place. Maybe it will turn around but so far not feeling it.
Is the problem you're not fitting into the hacky sack circle or do they gang up on you during the nerf wars?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Why? Get a vehicle that doesn't need a car payment's worth of maintenance every month.
Because we were in money saving mode for the house, we didn't want to get another car. In hindsight, yeah, I'd have problem done things differently. Need something reliable that we can put 2 carseats in. The car we had was kind of a known quantity.. that ended up needing a fuel pump, tires, brakes and a new A/C ... weee.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really didn't hate my 90+ minutes each way commute on the bus (~2+ hours if I missed one of the two I had to take) before I had a car and whatnot, I used to actually read books and stuff.

More than a decade later I loathe the 35 minute (30 miles, almost all freeway... not even a lot of traffic really, just mindless) commute I have now. We've put the equivalent of $300/mo in maintenance into our 2000 Grand Marquis this year and upped my annual mileage driven by 4-5k.
The thing I miss most about living in London was my 45 minute train journey each day. I read more books then vs any other time in my life! Now I sit in traffic looking at brake lights and traffic signals for 30mins. Sucks!

Poster

Lord Nagafen Raider
The thing I miss most about living in London was my 45 minute train journey each day. I read more books then vs any other time in my life!
Yeah, I love reading books on the train here as well.

Perk of living/commuting in Manhattan: 20-25 mins each way on the subway to read.
Downside: Needing a down payment higher than most people's homes cost to buy a reasonably nice 2bd/2ba.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They can lock you in at 4% in whatever day that was but you'll never know what it will be on the day you sign

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah unfortunately. Saw 2 promising houses, might put in an offer on one after my realtor gets some more info on them.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
It's not likely to change much short of the fed making aggressive statements to raise again which is unlikely.

Usually they are locked for 30 days at least and you can buy longer times although I wouldn't waste the money on that. You can always buy down lower if you're planning on staying in the house a long time.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Both of our families all live in MA, it would be weird to just move away for that stuff right now.
I very specifically moved from San Diego where both of our families were to Germany and then when we came back they offered me California or North Carolina and I took NC.

Family can be distracting and sometimes a crutch or excuse. They can visit me if they want, I always keep a spare room made up.

Leave your family behind and you will find that you are liberated. (Not the wife and kid though)