Home buying thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We have a big family here (Italian) and I'd like my kids growing up experiencing that. I have no desire to uproot us at this time.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
We are taking a look tomorrow at a few lots to build this plan and one already built with this floor plan to see where we might want different outlets or walls moved etc.

McKee Homes | Sanborne

I really want them to be able to block off that stupid little inset in the 'gameroom' on the second story and run all my CAT-5 to that room for server racking. Also put in an entire circuit breaker to that, I don't think I want 220 just 120.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Run Cat6 not Cat5 or 5e. If you're going to do a stack room like that make sure you have them add a return vent in there for AC / air movement and also run some IR extender cable because not everything is RF.

Every time I've done this I've run out of power outlets and Cat 6 outlets. Whatever you think you'll need, double it.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
We are taking a look tomorrow at a few lots to build this plan and one already built with this floor plan to see where we might want different outlets or walls moved etc.

McKee Homes | Sanborne

I really want them to be able to block off that stupid little inset in the 'gameroom' on the second story and run all my CAT-5 to that room for server racking. Also put in an entire circuit breaker to that, I don't think I want 220 just 120.
Are those going to be built by day laborers using chicken wire?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Bad I guess. All the new crackerjack boxes built out here are nothing but that.
Oh yeah that isn't quite going to happen here. No these are built by rednecks.

These are a bit different because yes they are cookie cutter but the whole development isn't built right away. You find an area you like, a developer owns the land, you pick a lot and floor plan, and then pay for them to build it. Four months later you move in.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

These are a bit different because yes they are cookie cutter but the whole development isn't built right away. You find an area you like, a developer owns the land, you pick a lot and floor plan, and then pay for them to build it. Four months later you move in.
And six to ten years later the dump trucks are finally gone and you can sleep in.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>

That doesn't really sound any different than any large tract development?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
That doesn't really sound any different than any large tract development?
Not in my experience in Califonia specifically. They have a development of 100 houses and they build them nonstop until they are all built regardless if they are pre sold yet. You build all 100 and keep an office in one of the model homes at the beginning of the development.

With this method I am technically in a development area like the one I described. It has been around since the 80's. They just put up a house every so often just randomly around the lake.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Not in my experience in Califonia specifically. They have a development of 100 houses and they build them nonstop until they are all built regardless if they are pre sold yet. You build all 100 and keep an office in one of the model homes at the beginning of the development.

With this method I am technically in a development area like the one I described. It has been around since the 80's. They just put up a house every so often just randomly around the lake.
Ah. Most of the ones I've seen in TX they buy a big plot of land and subdivide it but only build the houses when someone buys it. It can take 5-10 years for a development to be "finished."

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
My experience is more similar to a_skeleton_03 where the developers just build non-stop even if they don't have a buyer but you can also select your plot in the subdivison and customize your flavor of their floor plan as well

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Got my pre qualified letter this morning so will probably be taking another look at two houses after work.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Ah. Most of the ones I've seen in TX they buy a big plot of land and subdivide it but only build the houses when someone buys it. It can take 5-10 years for a development to be "finished."
This was how mine was here in Bee Cave. We were one of the first ones in, so we got to pick the plot we wanted pretty much. When we first moved in we had upsides and downsides. Upsides were that there was an awesome view as nothing was built, or was in the process of being built. The downsides was that eventually they build the houses next to you
smile.png
. We moved in 2012, and they sold off the model homes in late 2015 and I think sold the final inventory house a few months ago. It was a 3 year dev time pretty much.

All the cheap ass garbage homes (sub 140k) that are made for first time home buyers or poor people are generally built like previously stated.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Going to sleep on putting in an offer on a house. Matches exactly what I want, 3 bed 1.75 bath 1500sqft double car garage no hoa etc. 100% move in ready with the only thing wrong with it is the gate to the back yard is kind a broken and the bathtub needs to be recaulked.

Biggest reservation I have is that I only started this process a week ago.