Home Improvement

Fucker

Log Wizard
consumer math should be a 2 year class at every high school.
It wouldn't change anything. Many people have poor impulse control which obviates any kind of understanding of finances. People making good money piss away half of it in interest payments, and another chunk in depreciation and think their personal ATM magically fills itself up every two weeks, and don't realize or care they are a missed paycheck or two away from financial ruin.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It wouldn't change anything. Many people have poor impulse control which obviates any kind of understanding of finances. People making good money piss away half of it in interest payments, and another chunk in depreciation and think their personal ATM magically fills itself up every two weeks, and don't realize or care they are a missed paycheck or two away from financial ruin.

This is true. I was listening to the podcast Shannon Sharpe and Chad Johnson have been doing lately and they were talking about how Johnson only ever had 1 car when he was playing and bought fake jewelry and watches because people couldn't tell the difference anyway. Shannon was like "How come they never ask you to go back and teach the rookie players how to handle their money?" and Johnson was like "You know they had plenty of classes on not wasting your money when we were playing. Just nobody listened to them."

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
This is true. I was listening to the podcast Shannon Sharpe and Chad Johnson have been doing lately and they were talking about how Johnson only ever had 1 car when he was playing and bought fake jewelry and watches because people couldn't tell the difference anyway. Shannon was like "How come they never ask you to go back and teach the rookie players how to handle their money?" and Johnson was like "You know they had plenty of classes on not wasting your money when we were playing. Just nobody listened to them."
Yeah, sports folk are notorious for pissing away all their cash. Even smart people get moonshined by shiny. A guy I know has $34k a month in assorted payments. I asked him if he plans on working until he's dead. Workaholic. 10-12 hour days 6 days a week. Has toys, no time to use them. I told him time is the only currency worth anything, and it almost sank in. Almost. I even asked him if he calculated total costs of ownership and he said nope, not going to go there at all. LOL.

I've managed to get across to a few people who didn't know how to manage their money, but I knew they would be receptive to advice because they asked for it.

The worst flameout I've seen was a couple that managed to piss away everything with bad decision making. They jumped the shark one last time in 2008. Gave the house back to the bank, ran up massive CC debt thinking it would be discharged in bankruptcy. 16 years ago and they are still fucked. The only thing they had left was her seniority at a company. Well, they moved and she lost it. Starting over at very bottom at her age makes me wonder why neither of them have ended it. They have nothing to look forward to and will work until they are dead.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I was picking up on my home networking project today that got put on the back burner last year after kid was born. There’s an outlet by my PC where I was going to drop the CAT in to a new RJ45 box that I cut in to the drywall. Up in the attic I found where the power cable goes through the top brace and snaked the Ethernet cable next to it down in between the studs.

Annoying thing here is that this is an above garage office and this outlet is on the wall under the angled ceiling line. So in the attic I’m face down in insulation squeezed between the roof and the ceiling reaching blindingly in to insulation to find this channel. But I found and only cut my head a few times on nails sticking through the roof.

Back down in the office I checked to find the CAT6 and it is nowhere. In my head I’m like this makes no sense. No question I’m in the right spot, measured with a tape distance in the attic, it’s the only outlet on that wall. Was able to take some pictures barely inside the hole and it is nowhere to be found. But I did see a hole in the stud where power was coming through in to the outlet box so was like wtf, maybe the power ran on the other side of it and that’s where it went. Opened another hole on the other side but nope. No cable.

What are the rules / chances there is a cross piece between studs somewhere in between blocking it from dropping all the way down? I used the stud finder and it picked up a bit about 5’ off the floor where there isn’t a vertical stud. Was thinking about opening up a small hole at that point to check.

Mainly confused because I’ve done this in two other rooms and not run in to it, so the inconsistency was throwing me off. Does the fact it is an above garage office change how the wall is constructed? This is the wall that connects to the house. The other side would be my son’s closet. I can add a pic or two later. Only had about 45 minutes to do anything today.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I was picking up on my home networking project today that got put on the back burner last year after kid was born. There’s an outlet by my PC where I was going to drop the CAT in to a new RJ45 box that I cut in to the drywall. Up in the attic I found where the power cable goes through the top brace and snaked the Ethernet cable next to it down in between the studs.

Annoying thing here is that this is an above garage office and this outlet is on the wall under the angled ceiling line. So in the attic I’m face down in insulation squeezed between the roof and the ceiling reaching blindingly in to insulation to find this channel. But I found and only cut my head a few times on nails sticking through the roof.

Back down in the office I checked to find the CAT6 and it is nowhere. In my head I’m like this makes no sense. No question I’m in the right spot, measured with a tape distance in the attic, it’s the only outlet on that wall. Was able to take some pictures barely inside the hole and it is nowhere to be found. But I did see a hole in the stud where power was coming through in to the outlet box so was like wtf, maybe the power ran on the other side of it and that’s where it went. Opened another hole on the other side but nope. No cable.

What are the rules / chances there is a cross piece between studs somewhere in between blocking it from dropping all the way down? I used the stud finder and it picked up a bit about 5’ off the floor where there isn’t a vertical stud. Was thinking about opening up a small hole at that point to check.

Mainly confused because I’ve done this in two other rooms and not run in to it, so the inconsistency was throwing me off. Does the fact it is an above garage office change how the wall is constructed? This is the wall that connects to the house. The other side would be my son’s closet. I can add a pic or two later. Only had about 45 minutes to do anything today.
did you try endo/borescope?

i couldn't actually drill anywhere from my above garage office to my other rooms, i had to change the main networkpoint to my mb bedroom instead

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
did you try endo/borescope?

i couldn't actually drill anywhere from my above garage office to my other rooms, i had to change the main networkpoint to my mb bedroom instead
I was actually looking at picking one of those up on Amazon after I posted lol or an IR camera for the iPhone. Also did a couple of stabs with my drywall knife where the stud finder had a hit and didn’t find anything. Going to just cut another spot towards the top and see if the cable is at least a couple feel below the ceiling.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I was actually looking at picking one of those up on Amazon after I posted lol or an IR camera for the iPhone. Also did a couple of stabs with my drywall knife where the stud finder had a hit and didn’t find anything. Going to just cut another spot towards the top and see if the cable is at least a couple feel below the ceiling.
I bought an el-cheapo China special scope from Amazon for $20 or so that worked well for what it is. As for horizontal studs , it largely depends on if that wall is load bearing.

Edit - was going to link but it says Android only, sorry bro

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
don't bother getting one for the phone imo
Industrial Endoscope Inspection Camera, 4.3" IPS Borescope Sewer Camera with Handheld IP67 Waterproof Snake Camera with 8 LED Lights 16.5FT Semi-Rigid Cable

only like 25bucks
the standalone ones w/ a 4in screen only costs 5bucks more than the endoscope you connect to phone

cuz you always have to download some weirdass app that isn't updated anyway.
ask me how i know and have 2 end0scopes, lulz

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Industrial Endoscope Inspection Camera, 4.3" IPS Borescope Sewer Camera with Handheld IP67 Waterproof Snake Camera with 8 LED Lights 16.5FT Semi-Rigid Cable

only like 25bucks
the standalone ones w/ a 4in screen only costs 5bucks more than the endoscope you connect to phone

I’ll try it out, free 7am - 11am so will know tomorrow after gym.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>

only like 25bucks

Can confirm on the weirdass app part. Also thanks Lanx Lanx , I just ordered one. I'll tell the wife it's for putting her PC together.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Mother fucker. Now to hook it and bring that bitch down!

1729525720212.png
\

Gotcha!

1729526355895.png

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

whoo

<Silver Donator>
I'm $20k deep so far in the lawyer fees and we haven't even gone to trial yet. She's dragging it out. Oregon will not award joint custody unless both parents agree, and she won't agree because she's pissed off at me for getting engaged to someone else. My preference is joint custody by a long shot, but now I'm seeking custody and 50/50 parenting time because she won't agree to joint custody. I'm afraid she's going to do everything she can to retaliate if she's awarded custody, including moving
Can you temporarily fix the roof and wait on full replacement until after the custody battle is over? This seems like a bad time to spend 32k or take on that much debt.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users