Home Improvement

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Nice work Rand and Draegan. I will be pressure washing my soon then next year I will rip it down, build a much smaller one and then do a project like Rand did for about a 1200 sqft.

I picked up my mower today. I decided on a Husqvarna with a Honda Engine. It was $499 +$100 4 year warranty, so $660~ out the door.

rrr_img_94838.jpg

HU800AWDH 190cc 22-in Self-Propelled All-Wheel Drive 3-in-1 Gas Push Lawn Mower with Honda Engine and Mulching Capability

Honda's most powerful premium residential walk-behind lawnmower engine
Ultimate traction and maneuverability of all-wheel drive and high rear wheels
3-year Limited Warranty
Bag, mulch or side discharge
4-in-1 crown-cut blade
Dual-trigger variable-speed

Engine Brand Honda
Engine Torque (Ft/Lbs) N/A
Engine Displacement (Cu. Centimeters) 190
Cut Width (Inches) 22
Deck Capability Mulch or rear bag discharge or side discharge
Transmission Type Self-propelled
Start Type Pull start
Drive Type All-wheel drive
Speed Control Variable
Mulching Capable Yes
Front Wheel Size 8-in
Rear Wheel Size 11-in

Height Adjustment 7-position
Handle Dual trigger, overmold bail, ergonomic handle
Engine Oil Included Yes
California Air Resources Board Compliant Yes
Color Orange
Color Family Orange/Peach/Apricot
Warranty 3-year limited
UL Safety Listing Yes
CSA Safety Listing No
ETL Safety Listing No
Series Name HU800AWDH
Lowe's Exclusive No
Now I have to learn how to cut patterns like this...

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
There is a horrible death smell emanating from our crawlspace and filling the house. Just started a day or two ago. I tried to go in there yesterday with a respirator and gloves but the light from my puny flashlight + headlamp left the whole thing too dark and my brain would not let me go past the hatch. I pretty much need the crawlspace to be as bright as the surface of the sun before I'll be able to stomach crawling in. I did a lot of googling and home inspectors seem to recommend Streamlight Stingers and Fenix flaslight models, just curious if anyone else had any suggestions. Also any advice on getting over the fear of going in would help.
smile.png
I will be wearing a respirator, full hooded Tyvek suit, gloves, boots, etc.
Safety glasses and respirator I would for sure, and wear long sleeves/jeans definitely.

Get something like one of these lights -Voltec 500-Watt Halogen Portable Work Light-08-00209 - The Home Depot

Make sure you have an extension cord long enough to run out to the spot. We use them all the time in construction, they'll light up a huge area.

They can get pretty hot though, so be careful if you do try it.

If I was in the area I could help out, lord knows I come home from work sometimes dirtier than I probably ever could in there.

Elsebet

Peasant
Else make zalere do it!!
He says that since I'm smaller I'm a better candidate for this effort and I really can't disagree with him, as much as I want to. Our home inspector and dryer vent installer both made it out alive, so can I, I think. I am going to pick up a big shop light to put in the entrance along with a better flashlight.

Elsebet

Peasant
Safety glasses and respirator I would for sure, and wear long sleeves/jeans definitely.

Get something like one of these lights -Voltec 500-Watt Halogen Portable Work Light-08-00209 - The Home Depot

Make sure you have an extension cord long enough to run out to the spot. We use them all the time in construction, they'll light up a huge area.

They can get pretty hot though, so be careful if you do try it.
I was thinking an LED version of that, like this, to avoid the heat issue:

Husky 5 ft. 800-Lumen Portable LED Work Light-K40010 - The Home Depot

iannis

Musty Nester
Haha, I didn't mean it to be a dick.

But fuck it. Division of labor. Women bake cookies, men go pick the fucking dead shit out from under the house. I didn't make the rules, but I know what the price of a penis is.

Sugar and spice and everything nice. Snakes and snails and puppy dog tails. You learn it before kindergarten.

Elsebet

Peasant
Haha, I didn't mean it to be a dick.

But fuck it. Division of labor. Women bake cookies, men go pick the fucking dead shit out from under the house. I didn't make the rules, but I know what the price of a penis is.

Sugar and spice and everything nice. Snakes and snails and puppy dog tails. You learn it before kindergarten.

orcmauler

Golden Squire
Has anyone ever had experience with having a municipal stormwater runoff run through their property? When I bought my current house I was told that the runoff was rarely, if ever, flowing. Fast forward 8 months and I've got a significant erosion issue--the channel has expanded about 15ft and had dug in about 5-6 ft from its original area. I have contacted the city and they say tough shit, once the water gets to my property it becomes my concern. I have also contacted landscapers and other "professionals" who advertise that they handle this kind of work but have (five in thus far) not gotten anyone who will touch this. I'm in Portland, OR so that does affect things as well.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Has anyone ever had experience with having a municipal stormwater runoff run through their property? When I bought my current house I was told that the runoff was rarely, if ever, flowing. Fast forward 8 months and I've got a significant erosion issue--the channel has expanded about 15ft and had dug in about 5-6 ft from its original area. I have contacted the city and they say tough shit, once the water gets to my property it becomes my concern. I have also contacted landscapers and other "professionals" who advertise that they handle this kind of work but have (five in thus far) not gotten anyone who will touch this. I'm in Portland, OR so that does affect things as well.
You need an attorney.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I had a similar issue. Had a storm drain right near my gravel driveway that would overflow into my driveway and wash all the gavel away and dig a big trench (I think there are pics in this thread somewhere). Called the city engineers, they came out and pumped the drain or something to attempt to clear any debris and installed a new grate that allowed for better water-flow into the drain, but admitted it probably wasn't enough for the heavy rain events. Apparently there was supposed to be a small ditch that ran from the drain to the back corner of my property where it hooked in with an underground 8" pipe that feeds to a nearby water retention pond. Whether that trench was ever actually installed or not it anyones guess, it is on the as-builts but there is no evidence that it ever existed.

They told me they'd come re-dig the ditch that was/is supposed to be there, but that was the extent in which they'd help. If I wanted something nicer and/or less obtrusive I was on my own. I put a french drain down the driveway that ties into the drainage from my gutters. So far that combined with what the city did to the storm drain has kept the washout at bay but if that setup gets overwhelmed I'm going to have to dig the drain all the way back to the corner of my property where the big pipe is.

I thought about getting an attorney involved as well because this issue really stems from all the development they've done up the hill from my house, but for my situation it seemed way cheaper to buy some pipe and gravel and to dig a ditch. I know several years back my neighbors had a similar drainage issue tearing up their yard due to some work the city did to a house up above them, they fed them the same "it's your problem once it's on your property" line. They got an attorney involved and even the threat of a lawsuit quickly got the city to resolve the issue.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Maybe not *quite* the right thread, but I guess folks who DIY their homes might know the answer to this. Anyone know any good step-by-step guides to polishing leather shoes? I've never really bothered much with it myself, just rubbed a bit of that black stuff in tins on them once in a while and buff for half a minute. But having watched Francis Underwood shine his shoes and then seeing the sad fucking state mine are in I thought it was about time I learned the ins and outs of making my shoes look respectable. So a beginners guide would come in handy, with what to do, what not to do, and stuff like that. Anyone know?

iannis

Musty Nester
All I know is rub and buff.

I think to get that television shine you have to be doing it about every day (so the polish builds into an even consistency and patina), and you have to have like $800 leather shoes.

And plus they probably rub crisco on them to make them even shinier. It's television... it's all a lie!

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks!

Next you'll tell me House of Cards is a drama show, not a documentary
frown.png

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Go to your local library and see if they have any how to guides or microfiche on shining shoes.

Ordered a generic electric jackhammer for $160 bucks off Amazon Monday and it arrives today. I'm thinking it'll be pretty bad ass to have my own jackhammer.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Go to your local library and see if they have any how to guides or microfiche on shining shoes.

Ordered a generic electric jackhammer for $160 bucks off Amazon Monday and it arrives today. I'm thinking it'll be pretty bad ass to have my own jackhammer.
Thanks, will try that. Or might see if there is anything interesting on YouTube.

That may not bethedefinition of badass, but it isadefinition of it.
Thedefinition of badass would have him sitting on his porch, drinking a beer, while watching a busty blonde bikini babe do the jackhammering.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I really want to do that but

A) I'm terrified about what I'll find underneath my walkway or the pool decking.
B) Seems difficult to dispose of concrete rubble legally.
C) I'd have to replace it.

C'est la vie.