Home Improvement

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
As a fellow Texan, I can't be the only one dieing in this heat. My AC is close to 20 years old and I rather not have to spend more on it. At least once a summer, I get to spend something in it. Like replace the outside fan motor or capacitor. I got a hard start one a few years ago.

Has anyone used a window unit to share the load? My home is a small 2 story with 1 AC unit. My master bedroom is in direct sun light all day. The windows I could use will be unshaded for most of the day. Window units seem to sun a few hundred. Do those help much and would it run well despite being in direct sun?
As an alternative, you could try to stop the heat/energy/light from getting into the room, to begin with, by using exterior shutters. There are a plethora of options, but I like Bahama shutters and European style roll up shutters (manual and remote options).

The main issue with the Euro style roll ups is that, in the US, they are usually hurricane rated, which increase the cost by double, triple, or more. When I looked, some time ago, I found an Ebay seller on the German Ebay that sells all the pieces of the roll down shutters for cheap, but didn't investigate the shipping costs to Texas, or how you even deal with Ebay Germany.

fris

Vyemm Raider
Hurricanes in Texas just means people in Austin finally get some rain. I'll check that out too.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I've done fuck all research on them, but arent these suppose to be worth the headache in that scenario?
1689803652793.jpeg

Fucker

Log Wizard
My brother got that exact model and speaks highly of it. My debate I guess is a true window unit vs tower type that has hoses to the window.
Their window unit is pretty damned good. I have the Midea tower. Pretty decent. Quiet enough on low setting. Cools well. $pendy though. I had a cheapo tower years ago and that thing was loud even on low and didn't cool well. Compressor would overheat after 15 mins and shut down. I tried to give it away at garage sale and no one wanted it.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Yeah split units are awesome, have one in the wifes shack. Well we call it the shack but it is an 8x10 tiny house minus plumbing.
8376B2C4-4904-4B24-A20A-E34E45214878.jpeg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Got my generator installed yesterday. Ended up only with about an hour and a half outage for them to cut in the ATS. Whole thing went smooth and I was pretty impressed with their crew. Very friendly, willing to talk everything through and explain stuff. Will probably switch over all my electrical stuff to this company and away from my regular one that tried to butt fuck me on the generator cost.

Secondary to that, had the HVAC people come by today since my thermostat was rebooting constantly and the unit was still under warranty from buying last year. I googled and googled, or at least thought I did so sufficiently, but could not find a damn reason to chase down out there by myself.

Guy pulls up, old timer that's probably been doing this since before I was born, tell him what's going on and he says "Your drain line clogged." Barely even made it out of his truck. Went down there and he showed me the shut off float on the drain for the unit and sure enough it was full, not overflowing, but full enough to trip the safety. Flushed it from the outside using my hose and damn thing works perfect.

Simple things like that impress me the most probably. Since I'm a barely functioning adult and had no concept of this safety existing in order to check it, but it is the simplest stupid thing that a 5 year old could diagnose.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Got my generator installed yesterday. Ended up only with about an hour and a half outage for them to cut in the ATS. Whole thing went smooth and I was pretty impressed with their crew. Very friendly, willing to talk everything through and explain stuff. Will probably switch over all my electrical stuff to this company and away from my regular one that tried to butt fuck me on the generator cost.

Secondary to that, had the HVAC people come by today since my thermostat was rebooting constantly and the unit was still under warranty from buying last year. I googled and googled, or at least thought I did so sufficiently, but could not find a damn reason to chase down out there by myself.

Guy pulls up, old timer that's probably been doing this since before I was born, tell him what's going on and he says "Your drain line clogged." Barely even made it out of his truck. Went down there and he showed me the shut off float on the drain for the unit and sure enough it was full, not overflowing, but full enough to trip the safety. Flushed it from the outside using my hose and damn thing works perfect.

Simple things like that impress me the most probably. Since I'm a barely functioning adult and had no concept of this safety existing in order to check it, but it is the simplest stupid thing that a 5 year old could diagnose.
dude get one of these if it's too difficult to get there?
8ffb252f73276c434db4efbe432b44ea.png

RedRock Threaded CO2 Cartridge Gallo Drain Gun Blaster Cleaner for A/C Condensate Lines with Drain Hose - Air Conditioner Cleaner Blaster Opener Kit

i got one when i moved in and the ac is the attic so theres no hose, but this flushed it all out, years of nastiness

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
dude get one of these if it's too difficult to get there?
8ffb252f73276c434db4efbe432b44ea.png

RedRock Threaded CO2 Cartridge Gallo Drain Gun Blaster Cleaner for A/C Condensate Lines with Drain Hose - Air Conditioner Cleaner Blaster Opener Kit

i got one when i moved in and the ac is the attic so theres no hose, but this flushed it all out, years of nastiness

Interesting. The downstairs one is in the walk in basement space under house. So super easy. Upstairs unit in the attic is probably a gigantic PITA if I ever had to do it myself. Yeah I’ll think about that. The usually check it with the yearly maintenance, but obviously did a crap job this last time.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Interesting. The downstairs one is in the walk in basement space under house. So super easy. Upstairs unit in the attic is probably a gigantic PITA if I ever had to do it myself. Yeah I’ll think about that. The usually check it with the yearly maintenance, but obviously did a crap job this last time.
yea, usually they say just pour a cup of bleach down and you be aite

but obviously you got some funk in there and this thing is like powerful cuz it uses the entire co2

i think there are other ones imo, this one is too "plasticy" for my taste but it works once a year when i use it (i just leave it at my furnace)

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Is it because this is in the grown up forum that no one has yet asked why Hatorade keeps his wife in a shack?

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users