Home Theater/Game Room Thread

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Will they ever be practically affordable though. I don't ever recall 1080p projectors being priced this way atleast not so across the board

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I'd wait on 4k projectors, I've read there are problems with the Sony projectors and there are bound to be more options in the 4k space at the end of 2017.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I got a cheap Xbox One S to use as a media center PC. Does anyone use the Xbox smartphone app to control their Xbox as a media player?

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I decided to wait a little longer on the 4K Projector. But man my current projector while rocking for it's time, is dated as hell.

I did get the PB16-Ultra in the other day, upgraded from the PB13-Ultra since I could do a tradein for a huge discount for trade-up. This sub is absolutely insane. I thought the PB13-Ultra couldn't be topped but this thing. fuck.

Disgaea 5 added for scale.

6a15c9c10ab807d9d3be152d4c4214c8.jpg

Last edited:

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I decided to wait a little longer on the 4K Projector. But man my current projector while rocking for it's time, is dated as hell.

I did get the PB16-Ultra in the other day, upgraded from the PB13-Ultra since I could do a tradein for a huge discount for trade-up. This sub is absolutely insane. I thought the PB13-Ultra couldn't be topped but this thing. fuck.

Disgaea 5 added for scale.

View attachment 112200

Whats the difference between the ported and sealed? I'm pretty much getting the pb16 ultra but the ported is 500 dollars more and just wondering if it's worth 500 dollars extra. I know the ported goes a little lower in response but they both have the same power.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
To me, music sounds much better ported. But movies sound better open. I generally don't go into the "technical" aspects of it all, just what I like hearing better. :)

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
but then I'm thinking is it sensible to spend almost a grand on a soundbar and subwoofer?
Sensible isn't really what this thread is about. Aladain bought a $5,000 subwoofer!

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
To me, music sounds much better ported. But movies sound better open. I generally don't go into the "technical" aspects of it all, just what I like hearing better. :)
cool thanks man. I'm 95% movies and video games with 5% music so closed it is.

Desidero

N00b
Any recommendations on a 2.1 Soundbar setup? The Klipsch offerings all seem to do pretty well, I had my eye on this one:

Amazon.com: Klipsch Reference RSB-14 Powered sound bar and wireless music player with wireless sub: Electronics

but then I'm thinking is it sensible to spend almost a grand on a soundbar and subwoofer?

I've been spending a lot of time looking at sound bars and reasonably priced stereo equipment lately as well. I listened to that Klipsch sound bar as well as most of the other highly rated ones. Basically by the time a soundbar doesn't sound like shit compared to mediocre speakers, you're spending a lot more money and you're stuck with just a sound bar. It's better to get a 2.x setup and a receiver if you're going to spend $1k. Sound bars are good if you don't have any room though.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Whats the difference between the ported and sealed? I'm pretty much getting the pb16 ultra but the ported is 500 dollars more and just wondering if it's worth 500 dollars extra. I know the ported goes a little lower in response but they both have the same power.
Ported give your amp the ability to go to a lot lower frequencies, sealed is often considered "tighter" sounding. Rule of thumb is ported for movies, sealed for music.

Also, SVS is not even close to being best bang for your buck anymore.
Check out these guys. Subwoofers

The V1801 should perform about as well as the PB16 at a fraction of the cost. Chat up the owner, Tom V, on their website and he'll steer you right. He left SVS to start up PSA years ago and was the "V" in SVS. Also JTR sound makes some good subs that will blow the doors off a PB16.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
LOL, are you watching TV or throwing raves at your home?

Obviously you aren't into the "minimalist" look, but imho that's a fugly setup.. Dump a sub, and stick teh remaining sub into a discreet corner of the room.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users