Home Theater/Game Room Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I've recently renovated my man-cave. I purchased an LG OLED B6 65inch for all my PS4 gaming needs, but I want to purchase some enhanced audio to go with it. I've never done this before, and know nothing about it. Looking for some guidance on what to get:

1. Must be user friendly. I really don't know much about audio, and I don't want to dick around too much.
2. Must be PS4 compatible, if that's a thing.
3. The only other component in the setup will be a PVR/cable TV box. This is unlikely to change.
4. I dislike cords immensely, and have a 3 year old child who will almost certainly fuck them up at some point.
5. Room is nice and tight - about 300 square feet.
6. I dislike too many knobs and do-dads. The more minimal the better.
7. I have a workshop and home brewery in the next room over. Are there systems that could serve as a hub for speakers in this room too? Wireless?

Thanks for the advice!

EDIT

Did a bit of research, and so far looking at a few options:

Expensive, sexy, expandable. Am I being sold a golden turd here?: Sonos PLAYBAR Sound Bar, PLAY:1 Wireless Speaker & SUB Wireless Subwoofer - Black

Dolby Atmos impressed me. Does PS4 have Atmos capability? Does Netflix?: Samsung Soundbar HW-K950/ZA 5.1.4 Channel with Dolby Atmos Technology: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Leaning towards Sonos unless Dolby Atmos is some kind of game changer.
Isn't there awful input lag on those OLED screens?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I don't have a power outlet at my coffee table

Yeah this thing wouldn't really work in common areas of one's home. More a man-cave alternative to a beer fridge taking up space.

Edit: read the backer comments. The developers want to use a flattened cord for the power cord.

Last edited:

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
The whole top of that thing needs to be a flatscreen touch interface like the old original microsoft surface

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team

I've been designing one of these at work but still haven't come up with a solution to keep it refrigerated without getting extremely ghetto. The idea is stellar though for drinks, first time I saw it was on cribs back in the 90's/00's and figured it would catch on but it never did.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty much every manufacturer still playing catch up with Samsung.

Wireless charging has been around since the Galaxy S4 in 2013. Still not in an iPhone.

Apple still trying to get OLED screens in the iPhone 8... Samsung? OLED has been standard since 2010.

Still baffles me why people pay so much for an iPhone.

Siliconemelons

Do you want to know the things my Pre (1,2 and 3) and TouchPad did before any andorid or iOS devices could? Phones are 99% marketing

Wireless Charging via TouchStone (was 10x more reliable and faster than the QI charging on any of my devices I have used Qi for this far)

True Multitasking via Card and Card Deck UI and interface

Touch sensitive "home = tap" "back = swipe left" and "forward = swipe right" "Minimize = swipe up"- lower bezel with nicely animated LEDs

tap to share between phone and tablet

Unified SMS texts between phone and tablet

- but HP royally screwed WebOS so it is no more and no one cares that IMO android and ios *and windows and bb* are still not as good as WebOS

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
So it looks like the new LG oleds will let you play games at 1080p 120hz or 4k 60hz. Seems like a nice feature to tack on to the tv. I think I might pick up an oled finally. just have to wait for them to go on sale.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I picked up some upgrades for the theater over the weekend. If anybody near Omaha is interested in a great price on a mint Danley DTS-10 and/or a JVS RS45U let me know. Don't want to mess with shipping, the sub is 285 lbs.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
So with the new windows update dolby atmos is enabled under the sound tab. It converts all games, music, websites to dolby atmos. It sounds pretty good actually. It sounds better then dolby digital but not as good as if the content was actually dolby atmos. I run a 5.2.4 setup so it really sounds nice. Just a fyi because I know some of you run everything through the pc.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
So with the new windows update dolby atmos is enabled under the sound tab. It converts all games, music, websites to dolby atmos. It sounds pretty good actually. It sounds better then dolby digital but not as good as if the content was actually dolby atmos. I run a 5.2.4 setup so it really sounds nice. Just a fyi because I know some of you run everything through the pc.

Glad I checked this thread, will check it out shortly.

I have a 5.1.2 set up in my living room, it always annoyed me that Windows didn't recognise atmos setups in the sound/speakers panel.

I rarely watch regular tv but last night watching soccer highlights it really made better use of all speakers than windows did e.g. Streaming soccer games or mp3 or YouTube, even though the amp should upmix to 5.1.2 the same regardless of the input

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
So I installed the latest Nvidia drivers and now Windows 10 has HDR on by default, cool I guess - but my LG OLED is saying "HDR on" even when not watching a HDR movie rip - which is annoying as my set has been professionally calibrated and I hope this HDR isn't messing with what should be a calibrated colour palette.

Also, the Windows 10 speaker config has atmos enabled but the speaker layout config is still for a regular 7.1 set up?

Edit - so it seems I can now playback 10bit HEVC files without any dropped frames, interesting

Last edited:

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
So I installed the latest Nvidia drivers and now Windows 10 has HDR on by default, cool I guess - but my LG OLED is saying "HDR on" even when not watching a HDR movie rip - which is annoying as my set has been professionally calibrated and I hope this HDR isn't messing with what should be a calibrated colour palette.

Also, the Windows 10 speaker config has atmos enabled but the speaker layout config is still for a regular 7.1 set up?

Edit - so it seems I can now playback 10bit HEVC files without any dropped frames, interesting

I rebooted because I was confused about the 7.1 layout also but once I did that it went to dolby atmos. It shows up how my speakers are now.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I rebooted because I was confused about the 7.1 layout also but once I did that it went to dolby atmos. It shows up how my speakers are now.

hmm interesting, I went out to the gym for a bit and since I came back I can't seem to enable the atmos setting, just get an error message saying "spatial sound isn't working", will try a clean driver install.

What I really want to understand is Windows 10 HDR mode and how it interacts with my GTX 970, my LG Oled and my video software of MPC-HC and madVR.

With HDR mode enabled everything on the desktop is washed out and my previous calibrated video settings are too dark. I'm OCD when it comes to this stuff so won't be able to do anything else until it's working exactly how I want it!

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

Just to clarify, instead of a speaker layout like this, yours has 4 ceiling/atmos speakers in the layout?

atmos.jpg

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
At first it did but it never has shown the upfiring speakers. Once it rebooted then it showed it like a 5.1 config like I have. There are 3 boxes you have to check for dolby atmos. I'm not at home but I think one of them was under advanced setup under the properties tab for speakers. Also my AVR displays dolby atmos when it's working.